Xylaria's Pine Tar soap

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Similar product in Finland goes with the name mäntysuopa (i.e. pine oil soap). The price is 2 € or £1.5 per 500 grams. Finland is probably the largest producer, so it might not be available outside the Nordic countries. However, if you're interested trying it out, please let me know.

This stuff?
http://www.finnstore.com/pine-tar-soap-handmade-200g.html

It is probably cheaper in finland, on line I could only find it for £5 [ish]. The postage in the uk is what puts the price up. Because this soap wider that 25mm it would cost £2.80 to post from inside the uk.

stupidlty simple soap is on sale now in the traders section at the bottom of the forum.

Last edited:

Martti

Mar 12, 2011
Finland
This stuff?

The product you're referring to is made out of pine tar, not pine oil (also known as tall oil by the industry). Pine oil is a by-product of wood pulp manufacture. There are a few producers of pine oil soap in Finland, namely Henkel. The overall cost to buy and ship a 500 grams block worth of pine oil soap from Finland inside Europe would be 6.7€ or £5.5.

Here's a bar from my own stock to illustrate the appearance of the product.

Pine_Oil_Soap.jpg

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Similar product in Finland goes with the name mäntysuopa (i.e. pine oil soap). The price is 2 € or £1.5 per 500 grams. Finland is probably the largest producer, so it might not be available outside the Nordic countries. However, if you're interested trying it out, please let me know.

I am sure you mean this stuff
http://tolu.fi/tuote/havu-mantysuopapala-500g/the translated page says it for clothes and paintbrushes
"Softwood Mäntysuopapala 500g is the Finns' favorite product already decades ago. Softwood pine soap has a pine oil-based soap base almost all types of use. This traditional rug washing companion is also ideal for pikkupyykkiin, paintbrush, and washing work clothes and overalls, as well as felting."

It does sound like very good household soap especially for outdoor people. Hard bar soap is much better to wash clothes when outside than normal clothes washing products. Household soup makes far less pollution for streams and lakes, pine oil soap sounds very good for that. The pine tar soap i make is body soap not household soap. My soap makes your skin soft and heals scratches. My body soap very different to your household soap.

I have not seen pine oil household soap in britain.

My soap arrived this week - and I'm very happy with it, so thanks very much.

I've been using Grandpa's which has really help with my mild psoriasis, so looking forward to seeing how yours works for me.

The Finish soap mentioned by Martii, sounds very similar to the natural household cleaning soap we use in Sweden called "Grönsåpa", which has a pine scent.

beachlover

Aug 28, 2004
Isle of Wight
Before I mess up a lump of this soap, I'd like to put some in a lip salve type container. Is it possible to melt it down in hot water like beeswax or will I ruin it?

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Just thinking out loud, off topic, but Lundhags sell bear grease shoe cream, and its a mixture of animal fat, beeswax and pinetar.

Could you mix beeswax with lard, and your soap?

To clean wounds in sweden and infections, they use soda washing powder. I was a bit dubious at first, but it worked better than potassium permanganate.

beachlover

Aug 28, 2004
Isle of Wight
I will send you a pm.
You can remold any handmade soap. There is an art to it.

I have replied and will let you know how I get on. The comment that there is an art to it is a bit worrying though given my innate ability to be clumsy at most things artful!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE