Xylaria's Pine Tar soap

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I received samples two days ago :)
Up front I sent stuff in exchange so my review it totally unbiased, apart from the fact that I am on record as saying l like their company ethos about sustainability.

This is a powerful soap, yet gentle on the skin (trust me, I break out in a rash wih Ecover stuff :sigh:) and I have had no problems with the soap sent to me by Xylaria. Low lather so not a problem to disperse when camping, or slimed up sponges or flannels either. Scrubbed me up no bother after a day in the garden though. My greenfingers came up very white :)

It looks like rich black chocolate :) and it smells like every pine camp fire you have ever spent a night around.
Y'know that smell you notice on your jacket a couple of days after you get home ? the one that reminds you that you were out ? :D this is it :cool:

Thankfully we're midgie and cleg free at present, but I firmly suspect that this soap will prove to be at least mildly insecticidal, so multiple use.

I haven't tried it on my hair which is waist length again, and I don't shave so I haven't tried it for that either. HWMBLT has a beard and son2 uses an electric razor. I think from the feel of it when lathered that it would be fine though.
Xylaria has long hair herself, perhaps she might know whether it can be used as a one soap to do it all ?

Physically, once used, it didn't go slimey, it stayed firm, I think Xylaria got the proportions right and hasn't superfatted it, so it'll be a fairly long lasting soap, unlike many of the hand made ones that kind of disappear in a hurry. I think it's the kind of soap that would do well in a little wooden bowl/box, and if you like coal tar and pine tar soaps, then you'll love this one :D

The projected costs are very reasonable indeed, and compare more than favourably with commercially available hand made soaps.
I think it's a winner :)

cheers,
Toddy

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Good stuff; if this is as good as the other products I use from Stupidly Simple I'll be well pleased! I'll be ordering mine as soon as.................Thanks for the review :)

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Can we get a link to contact details please? The mother in law and I are interested in a bar or two. :)

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Oh ya dancer! i use wrights coal tar soap as granpas pine tar doesn't last.
This should be a fine addition to the ablutions.

xylaria

I will have some soap ready for this weekend and more ready 21st of april. Soap requires a cure time of a few weeks. I am making quite a few batches this week so in 4 weeks time there will be enough to keep up with demand. There is a fast way making soap but it doesnt work withpine tar.

The sales thread will go in the traders section.

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
I will have some soap ready for this weekend and more ready 21st of april. Soap requires a cure time of a few weeks. I am making quite a few batches this week so in 4 weeks time there will be enough to keep up with demand. There is a fast way making soap but it doesnt work withpine tar.

The sales thread will go in the traders section.

Good stuff, thanks.

TarHeelBrit

Mar 13, 2014
Alone now.
Pine Tar Soap, Pine Tar Soap...just saying it brings back memories,:) I'm interested but no doubt the shipping to the colonies will be astronomical.

xylaria

The price will be no more than £4.00 for 190[ish] gram bar and about 2.70 for the bar half that wieght. I am not sure on the final wieght but the big bar is 10x10 cm by 24mm or 4x4 inchs by slightly below what the post office class as a large letter.

It will be 21st of april before it goes on sale. The price includes postage of course.

Last edited:

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
The pince tar soap is, simply put, impressive.

I have quite bad eczema on my fingers which splits and it looks like i have been self harming my fingers with blades at the worst times, i usually use the wrights coal tar soap (eu legal stuff with tea tree oil replacing the coal tar) it causes my hands to go very dry, with this pine tar soap this is not the case, i've used it three times since it arrived and my finger slits and healing rapidly, it also smells way better than the coal tar soap.

Kudos from me to you, i'll have me one of the big bars when your next batch is ready

Martti

Mar 12, 2011
Finland
Similar product in Finland goes with the name mäntysuopa (i.e. pine oil soap). The price is 2 € or £1.5 per 500 grams. Finland is probably the largest producer, so it might not be available outside the Nordic countries. However, if you're interested trying it out, please let me know.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE