Pine tar soap does it help stop the bitting critters ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Twodogs

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 16, 2008
West Midland
www.facebook.com
Morning all

Any pine tar soap users out there?

The question is will using pine tar soap make you less tasty to flying critters when out in the woods?

Thanks for your input

Cliff

JamPan

Forager
Jun 8, 2017
Yorkshire
I've not used pine tar soap, but I guess it'd need to leave a residue behind to act as a scent diverter. I make my own tallow soap with lavender and rosemary in it but it doesn't seem to stop them on me.

By chance I read about some common tree leaves the other day which act as a repellent. I'll have a look to try find which tree it was in the book. It'd be nice to see if that worked as critters seem to find me delicious.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
The stuff Xylaria makes works :D

Seriously it does help, especially if you layer up with the SS anti midge stuff too.

M

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Another one here recommending the soap from Xylaria, I couldn't call it a bomb-proof insect repellant but with regular use it keeps the critters off me for the most part. I have had issues with Dermatitis type skin problems
for a while now and it has improved that side of things immensely. It's also very pleasant to use and I get a lot of comments about the nice scent on the rare occassions I venture out socially.

I would have been eaten alive by now at this time of year, but all I've had so far is one from a Horsefly on the hand and one on the wrist from a Mossie, and the soap is all I've used this Summer.

Twodogs

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 16, 2008
West Midland
www.facebook.com
I have a block of granpars and a big block of Finnish pine tar Marrti sent over to me so I will give the "Chanel por homme" a go....
Thanks for the replys folks

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
The stuff Xylaria makes works :D

Seriously it does help, especially if you layer up with the SS anti midge stuff too.

M

Yeha I love that stuff. I've had several bars and treat myself to some musky soap stank now and then. It makes for a pretty reasonable shaving soap too!

No idea about bugs though, as bad as I generally stink I seem to be pretty resistant to bitters. Normal flys though.. pita, all over me lol.

Laurentius

Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
Morning all

Any pine tar soap users out there?

The question is will using pine tar soap make you less tasty to flying critters when out in the woods?

Thanks for your input

Cliff

I don't know and I am not sure what calls itself pine tar soap these days has remotely the same constituents beyond a bit of fragrance that pine tar soap used to have back in the day.

I have heard it said that citronella is a good insect repellant, something you can easily make for yourself from lemon balm. I think it is at least as effective as what you can get in poundland anyway :)

woodstock

Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
Well here's one for the book, Xylaria and I went to a drum camp in the woods straight away I spotted the dreaded cleg/ horsefly, so slapped our bug cream on all exposed areas not one bite guess who didn't and got 3 bites one bad one one the leg which is swollen and hot, what happens when you don't heed your own advice.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Quality control :D or Product Testing :D

Sorry to hear about the bites though; I detest clegs, I really really do.
Miserable blighters, the de'il's own henchmen.

M

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE