Pimp my firesteel

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Heres an idea for something that is a complete waste of time...a firesteel pimping thread :lmao:

I am in awe of the Shings and Shinkens of this world who make beautiful knives but I lack err talent (?). However, given a bit of coaching (thanks Leon-1), anyone can make a pretty firesteel.

You will need:

A lump of wood
A fireball (unhandled) firesteel (outdoorcode sell em for £6 for the thick ones)
A 9.5mm drill bit (no of course I haven't got one - I use a plain old 10mm)
A tube of araldite or similar glue

Thats it!

No, I won't put up photos of "how to" - shape wood, drill hole, glue in fire steel (as Leon patiently explained) is it. :D

I had a go with a bit of "gash" wood and its encouraged me to try and do a better one. Given how much I enjoyed it when we were comparing Swedish army axes, I wondered if anyone else fancied joining in on a (pontless) exercise (or just show me ones you have done to inspire me) :confused:

Red

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Lol...........I just did that to my fire steel yesterday evening, I no nailed it onto a bit of elder, and it worked a treat...............Jon

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
When I was in Sweden last year with Bearclaw Bushcraft an old Swedish instructor showed us his firesteel and how he'd "pimped" it.....

He'd made a wooden handle for it and said the reason was so that if he dropped it in the lake while he was out canoeing then it would float.... which seemed like a very good idea to me....then he mentioned that it was made of maya wood (heavily resinous pine wood) so that not only did he have the means to make sparks by running the firesteel on his knife spine but he also always has maya shavings with him to light from the firesteel....... pretty clever huh ;) They know a thing or two, about these Swedish firesteels, these Swedish guys you know :D

Well, I thought it was a top idea anyway :)

Bam. :D

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Wow...thats nice stuart!

Love the maya wood idea too bam...keep em coming (I'm fooling with a bit of antler at the moment nobby - waiting for some nice wood offcutes - not sure if it will work out but if it does I'll post a picc)

Red

andyn

Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
Pimped Firesteels! Like glowing blue neon lights and go-faster stripes - This post might quickly make the firesteel the chav tool of the bushcraft world?

hehe

I recently got a 'blank' firesteel from Gary and have been meaning for a while to put something on the end of it - might have a play when I get some free time. Thanks for the equipment list, makes step one a bit easier.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Andy - does that mean you are going to share your results mate :confused:

And by the way - don't nick my "blue neon" design! :lmao:

Red

andyn

Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
British Red said:
Andy - does that mean you are going to share your results mate :confused:

And by the way - don't nick my "blue neon" design! :lmao:

Red

they maybe some time away, but once done I'll stick a piccy up yeah.

I'll have to find some just as equally chavy to do...perhaps a tiny subwoofer in it or something. :lmao:

g4ghb

Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
make it 5! - i've had a inkleing if an idea I have wanted to try for a while ;)

Ralph

Forager
Oct 31, 2005
lost
How about one that incorporates a striker that detaches onto a little bit of cord.
Or maybe an every day household item (car keys meet survival :lmao: )
I've got one that fell out of one of those blast matches after I stupidly lent it to a friend. I've got to try one of these ideas. :) :)

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
So are you in Ralph? Come on in - the insanity is lovely!

We could even have a kind of poll at the end

"most attractive"

"most practical"

"downright daftest"

"most chav appropriate" (for andyn)

"most innovative" etc......

Red

g4ghb

Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
British Red said:
We could even have a kind of poll at the end

"most attractive"

"most practical"

"downright daftest"

"most chav appropriate" (for andyn)

"most innovative" etc......

Red

what a great idea! :D - why not go the whole hog and make it a mini competition?.... - i'll throw a little leather odds and sods pouch into the 'prize pot' if you like ;)

Reactions: British Red

Phil562

Settler
Jul 15, 2005
Middlesbrough
I have a Stewart Marsh knife and it has Birds Eye Maple (BEM) scales. So I thought it would be nice to have a matching fire steel handle. :p

I eventually found some BEM on evilbay, under the guise of pen blanks, just like these

Will take some phots over the weekend.

leon-1

British Red said:
Heres an idea for something that is a complete waste of time...a firesteel pimping thread :lmao:

I am in awe of the Shings and Shinkens of this world who make beautiful knives but I lack err talent (?). However, given a bit of coaching (thanks Leon-1), anyone can make a pretty firesteel.

You will need:

A lump of wood
A fireball (unhandled) firesteel (outdoorcode sell em for £6 for the thick ones)
A 9.5mm drill bit (no of course I haven't got one - I use a plain old 10mm)
A tube of araldite or similar glue

Thats it!

No, I won't put up photos of "how to" - shape wood, drill hole, glue in fire steel (as Leon patiently explained) is it. :D

I had a go with a bit of "gash" wood and its encouraged me to try and do a better one. Given how much I enjoyed it when we were comparing Swedish army axes, I wondered if anyone else fancied joining in on a (pontless) exercise (or just show me ones you have done to inspire me) :confused:

Red

Red there ae a load of different things that you ca get away with on firesteels and pimping them if you have the time and patience, I'll try and find a few bits that I have floating around.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Wow Graham offered a pouch and then Phil joined in with ...."I have a Stewart Marsh knife...." - I suddenly thought the prizes were gonna get good! Still looking forward to seeing the photos Phil!

So we have Graham and Phil in on the thread (thanks for the prize offer Graham - have a rep point!) and Leon with a masterclass!

Fantastic stuff - looking forward to this!

Red

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE