Pimp my firesteel

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Nemisis

Settler
Nov 20, 2005
Staffordshire
One thought a taper from the butt end towards the steel would form a natural wedge shape, increasing the grip kind of forcing it into the natural finger and thumb hold as you use the steel making the control better and less likely to slip or be dropped a bit like a three sided pyramid shape with the steel emerging from the point.
Dave.

twelveboar

Forager
Sep 20, 2005
County Durham
Can I enter my new firesteel holder?

axesheath005.jpg

axesheath004.jpg

Got do be the equivalent of putting alloy wheels on a clapped out Nova.

troyka

Forager
Wayland said:
Not the type of firesteel you had in mind but I couldn't resist the opportunity to post this picture of my steel striker again.

firesteel1.jpg

It's based on a Viking steel and constructed with a couple of bronze strap ends and a bit of custom construction for the hanger.

i love this, best lookin bit of kit ive ever seen.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Nemisis said:
how about a toblerone shape? triangular with decretive grooves/grips?
Dave.

Lovely piece of snakewood went into this (courtesy of the legenday Stuart Mitchell).....not really toblerone...more Art Deco

snakewood10eq.jpg

What do you think?

Red

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
When I was deciding which shape to make mine I played around with some scrap wood and various shapes. I found that a tapered handle didn't feel 'right'. It felt like it would slip out of your hand, especially with cold/wet hands. Strangely this was the case regardless of which way the taper went (forwards or backwards), it just felt wrong in different directions.
It may well be that is just me and you find that shape perfect !

Cheers

Mark

Ralph

Forager
Oct 31, 2005
lost
Can't wait to try this. My only problem is that I have had so many ideas and only one "blank" firesteel. :confused: :( I think I have decided what I will do so watch this space. :cool: ;) :theyareon

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Marts said:
Here's my first pimping effort :)

Think I'll call it the bumblebee.

]

That is sweet! Did you preapre the layer cake laminate yourrself and then shape it?

Red

Phil562

Settler
Jul 15, 2005
Middlesbrough
Well these were my first efforts, both hand carved :rolleyes:

5fbdc022.jpg

The one on the left is my daughters, she's six, so I attached a piece of hacksaw blade. :)

All I need now is some bare fire steels as I have the handle material courtesy of a fellow member :cool:

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Phil562 said:
The one on the left is my daughters, she's six, so I attached a piece of hacksaw blade. :)
:

Hey Phil, your daughter carves really well for a six year old - nearly as well as an adult :lmao:

I'd give Andrew at outdoorcode a shout for the firesteels - he cut me a very good deal! Got some oak burl by Bushwacker special delivery tomight...need another design to work on now.....

Red

Marts

Native
May 5, 2005
London
British Red said:
That is sweet! Did you preapre the layer cake laminate yourrself and then shape it?

Red

Cheers. Yeah I had some offcuts of ebony and boxwood so epoxied them together and went from there.

Got some other pimping ideas. Just need to get a few more firesteels...

Keep 'em coming :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE