Pimp my firesteel

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Boxy,

Excellent! Thats the kind of fun of this isn't it.....its just something to hold a rod with - design is limited only by imagination!

Red

Mr_Yarrow

Forager
May 16, 2005
UK, Hertfordshire
Well Red, im in for this. I have already ordered 2 blank steels from Brisa on BB recently and was thinking about a funky handle for one of them, so will share it with you chaps - dont hold your breath though :lol:

Rgds

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
I have two very similar, one for each sheath.
I experimented with various shapes and decided that a triangle would be best. It gives me three sides to use rather than the normal two of the standard green plastic top. Obviously rounded corners and the flat sides are actually slightly concave so my thumb rests on it easily.
Firesteel1.jpg

Firesteel2.jpg

Cheers

Mark

Nicklas Odh

Forager
Mar 3, 2006
Ed, Sweden
I have not made that fancy "pimpings" on my firesteels.
First I removed the plastic handle, then I drilled a small hole through it about 6-7 mm from one end and finally I put some nice cord through it. When I use it I put my middle finger through the loop and the steel "starts" just between my thumb and the next finger. This solution gives a "softer" handle.
I have one of those on my keyring, barely covered in electr...tape.
The next one is a split ring through the hole. I have it in my Kydex sheath for the F1. Its like pulling the pin out of a grenade and its easy to use.

moduser

Life Member
May 9, 2005
Farnborough, Hampshire
There's some nice work in this thread.

I have a couple of BCB steels waiting for me to make handles, just need to decide what from and design.

Interesting thread

Rgds

Moduser

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Buckshot said:
I have two very similar, one for each sheath.
I experimented with various shapes and decided that a triangle would be best. It gives me three sides to use rather than the normal two of the standard green plastic top. Obviously rounded corners and the flat sides are actually slightly concave so my thumb rests on it easily.
Firesteel1.jpg

Firesteel2.jpg

Cheers

Mark
Triangles ....genius!

nobby

Nomad
Jun 26, 2005
English Midlands

Shinken

Native
Nov 4, 2005
cambs
The blade was made by Shing but i put the handle on, surely for this thread to be authentic we need to use old beaten up firesteels :eek: :umbrella:

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Ash,

I'm trying to work out how to jack a firesteel suspension ...any clues mate?

Lol - yours is lovely - spot the knife maker - first steel I've seen with "scales" instead of a one piece handle - like lanyard tube. Good job mate - you could make money on them!

Red

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Yeah, PBKnives one is gorgeous I must admit.

Heres my latest...plain Rosewood (courtesy of a kind bloke...thanks mate!) but my technique is improving which was the point of it ....to teach me to carve

Red

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Nemisis said:
Very nice red what finish have you used?
Dave.
Dave,

No thank you sir! :D

A light oiling followed up with home made polish (just beeswax and linseed oil boiled up). Strangely it looks scratched in the thumbnail - if you click it you can see thats the grain (phew)

Its a start any way - plain but the fit and finish are okay so I wouldn't be ashamed to lend it to someone - a nice bit or wood to work really helps! Hmm need another design to work on now I've done "plain round"

Red

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE