Picture of Scandi grind PackPal

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Nightfall

Forager
Sep 2, 2004
Nothren Califorina
Ok, lets give this a try here. Hopefully all out there can see the picture of my packpal.
Nightfall
100651.jpg

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
I just noticed you are lucky that looks like the original design of packpal scandi not the modified version Allan sent pictures of last week which the rest of us are getting.

I hope ours are as good. I'm sure they will be.

Bill

leon-1

bushblade said:
That doesn't look like a scandi grind to me, it has a secondary bevel. Nice though.

The secondary bevel that you mentioned was talked about on BB, Allan got on there and cleared up any misconceptions about it. What you can see is where Allan has removed some of the coating off the blade, this shows up like a secondary bevel in pictures due to the contrast of colours from the stell to the coating :wink:

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
So if it has a zero edge, how do you sharpen it without scrubbing off the coating (or putting a secondary bevel onto it)?

Sorry for all the questions, but this coating Alan uses has me puzzled. I have he4ard that in order to get the spine to spark a ferro rod well, the coating needs to be removed.

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Tantalus said:

Yeah, I read that tant, thanks, I was wondering if that was with the coating removed.

The coating is some oxide or other with a laquer over the top. If you put a laquer coating on something with a square corner, it'll take the bite out of the edge. So unless it's been removed, or worn through, I would think it struggles as a sparker.

If you read around, there are a number of people who had this issue with the bushcrafter, which has the same coating.

Anyway, my main question is how do you sharpen it, without scrubbing off the coating?

leon-1

Good question, but as you'll probably already know, as far as I can see you can't sharpen it without putting either a secondary bevel or losing some of the coating. In the end if you look after it properly it should make little difference whether it has a coating or not.

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
I'm expecting to sharpen the coating off the bevel and it will just be coated on the section that doesn't contact the stone (or whatever you use to sharpen). Allan clearly stated thet it doesn't have a secondary bevel when we asked before. I think he will look in on the thread soon and maybe help with an answer.

Bill

leon-1

Martyn said:
Agreed. I know Allan does em with a brushed finish, which I think would be my choice. As far as I can see, the oxide/laquer coating might just be more hassle than it's worth.

In the end I think that it may be worth talking to someone who has had one of Allans knives (with this coating on) for some time, find out what they have to say and think about it.

The guys (Sargey, Schwert or Hoodoo) must have at least one of Allans knives with this coating between them (if not the whole product range each) :wink: .

MagiKelly

Making memories since '67
When you sharpen it the coating comes off the flat grind part of the blade but stays on the rest. It did not slow up the sharpening of my Bushcrafter and turned out not to have too much effect on my casting sparks. If you are stropping rather than using a stone it will probably take longer for the coating to come off.

As to the purpose of the coating, well at least it will stop the knifes arriving with a rusty blade, unlike some I could mention, eh Martyn?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE