Picture of Scandi grind PackPal

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JakeR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Magikelly said:
If you are stropping rather than using a stone it will probably take longer for the coating to come off.

A job for the starkie in all its wonderful ways?

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
WHATS BEADBLAST?????????????????????????????????????????????????????

I just asked Allan for that and im panicking........Martyn, you know what i like, will i like it?????????????????????

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
AND.......Is it like a normal knife, ie woodlore, northstar etc

A

Allan Blade

Hey all,

My Scandi grinds dont have a secondary Edge bevel like say my flat Ground blades have.

WHat i do with a scandi grind is , I grind it to Zero on my finish grind to were a slight burr developes, then when i bead blast the blade it Blasts the wire edge away. The shiney edge you see happens because i lightly hit the edge on a ceramic to just bring it back to sharp a bit. YOu can still sharpen the whole bevel if you choose.

The COating i put on the Bead Blast blades is a clear Hardcoat laquer is all it is. I can leave it off the blade no problem , i really just have it there to inhibit corrosion, but it usally wears off at a rate of use and is replaced by a Patina as it is used.

I choose to offer most the blades this way for one becasue i consider most of the blades i make as USER grade and i refinish the FIeld Grade finish for no charge.

Also at the Price level that i sell my blades at its not possible to Make them affordable to everyone and supply them with a Hand rubbed satin finish at the Prices i ask.

Also i like to make knives that will be Used and offer them at a price that doesnt kill peoples Bank accounts.

I can make anystyle blade anyone would like from a Standard Using grade field finished Knife up to and including full fledged Polished Katanas, but i am finding alot of people appreciate a well ground and finished Using knife abouve a fancy Shiney blade that wont really work any better but costs 3 times as much.

lol Guess im weird.

Regards, Allan Blade

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Whew! Yep, i thought that was the one im after. Great stuff, Allan, sounds like my (your :wink:) knife is gonna be perfect!

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
During use, you will wear the coating off anyway so I would not worry about it. I'd just sharpen it like any other scandi.

I just ordered one of these and I think it will be a dandy woodcarver. He uses a mortised tang and the handle is supposed to be broader than the original packpal. I have a couple of the original packpals and I think they are wonderful for small game or slicing cheese and beefstick, etc, but this new packpal should be great for whittling. Not to mention Allan gives you a lot of knife for the money. He's one of the best grinders I've ever seen and fit and finish are almost always perfect. Where else can you get a mortised tang knife done to perfection for the kind of money he charges? If I had to pick one style of handle as my favorite, the mortised tang would be it and Alan does a great one for a really low price.

Just a note: I wrote this and then discovered Allan had responded and wrote essentially the same thing. Sorry for the duplication but I think Allan is right on the mark.

MagiKelly

Making memories since '67
It's here ! ! ! ! ! !

My Scandi PackPal arrived yesterday. Perfect just perfect. I can see this getting more use that my Bushcrafter. For short trips out in the woods etc this would be fine. On slightly longer trips a folding saw would be added and for a day or two in the canoe a GB SFA would cover the rest of my needs. Of course I will still be giving the Bushcrafter a good work out every so often but the new PackPal is terrific. The workmanship is first class and the Maple handle and Mosaic pins give it a class appearance. In fact I was so pleased with the handle and pins that I changes my Rint spec to the same.

I know you are all shouting "show us some pictures" but it will be a while before I get the chance. Once I do I will post them, I promise. It is the one that Allan posted a picture of when he changed the design but I will still post more pictures when I get a chance.

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
:eek:): great stuff! Will be looking forward to a comprehe4nsive review :wink:

MagiKelly

Making memories since '67
Okay I finally got a chance to get out and try out the PackPal. Took the Bushcrafter too so it could play with its little brother.

packpal01.jpg

This gives a bit of a size comparison.

packpal02.jpg

The Pack Pal is actually good for battoning. Okay you have a smaller target but it goes on very easily.

packpal03.jpg

packpal04.jpg

packpal05.jpg

Sorry about the quality of the pictures but it was just my compact digital camera I had with me. I also carved a small spoon which it did with ease but the picture was so bad you could hardly make it out.

The knife is a dream to use. The thinner blade is plenty strong and just eats through wood. Allan forgot to add the firesteel holder but is sending it along with my Runt. The spine of the knife sparks well enough but not as good as the scraper you get with the firesteel.

D

dajak

Nice one but i really dont like the wooden handle/ kydex sheath combination.
Sorry.

But the knife itself is very usefull and thats what counts.

Dajak.

Schwert

Settler
Apr 30, 2004
Seattle WA USA
Very nice shots and that is a fine looking knife. Allan emailed me that it will not be long for mine.

I am pretty sure I will have a leather sheath made for it, but will give it a fair try first.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE