Peace Pipe Tomahawk

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I'd read that too but had that been the case, they would've had iron at the time of Christopher Columbus, which they didn't.

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

Columbus didn’t discover a new continent, he discovered the Bahamas and surrounding islands and called them Hispanica. He never set foot in North America. We’re talking about a massive continent, a long time ago when there were no records, it‘s possible the Vikings took metal with them and traded. Columbus discovering America is a fallacy, the great American tale of bullying and backslapping that’s getting very tired now. ;)

Reactions: TeeDee

Forager
Sep 25, 2013
Scotland
www.instagram.com
Columbus didn’t discover a new continent, he discovered the Bahamas and surrounding islands and called them Hispanica. He never set foot in North America. We’re talking about a massive continent, a long time ago when there were no records, it‘s possible the Vikings took metal with them and traded. Columbus discovering America is a fallacy, the great American tale of bullying and backslapping that’s getting very tired now. ;)
Yes I said "In the time of Christopher Columbus" not that he had discovered a new continent.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
They didn't. They were peace offerings from European traders.

Hang on , so were Tomahawks doubling as pipes a thing in use by the English/French?

Just wondering where the idea comes from to turn a useful cutting implement into a slightly cack handled pipe comes from.

Forager
Sep 25, 2013
Scotland
www.instagram.com
Hang on , so were Tomahawks doubling as pipes a thing in use by the English/French?

Just wondering where the idea comes from to turn a useful cutting implement into a slightly cack handled pipe comes from.
No I don't believe so because I don't think we had tobacco at the time. I think the axe was just a symbol of trade since it was a commonly traded item and the natives did have and use tobacco.

Reactions: Nice65 and TeeDee

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
North America is far larger than you imagine. Elemental copper and obsidian and flint were traded all over the continent by a spider web of routes. Exact proof comes from the analysis of trace elements to identify origin.

Because of the Japan Current, lots of iron rubbish made its way across the Pacific to the west coast of British Columbia.
After the Tsumani associated with the time of the Fukushima Reactor melt-down, we got a big Japanese motor cycle, packed in styrofoam. I have a hand-blown Japanese glass fish net float sitting on a shelf.

The Chinese and the Russian sea traders had come and gone. By the time of the arrival of the Europeans, iron was no surprise to the Haida, Tsimshian and the Tlingit. Maybe the Kwakwaka'Wakw also but I don't know for sure.

Peace Pipes. A political invention of convenience for establishing alliances. The First Nations did spend quite some effort killing each other. Look up "pipestone." The major quarry is in Kansas or southern Minnesota, I forget exactly.
There is a steatite soapstone deposit mined in every province and territory of Canada.
This is not the exclusive argillite which the Haida use.
Soapstone, you could carve with a screwdriver, if you need to.
There's a couple of 30+ lb pieces sitting outside my back door. I buy it from a dealer in Brazilian stone.

What did they smoke? Why "kinnikinik" of course. The stoners used their own thing like peyote and mushrooms.

Reactions: Broch and Nice65

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Yes I said "In the time of Christopher Columbus" not that he had discovered a new continent.

It’s guessed the Vikings discovered land 500yrs before Columbus. They had metal. Just takes a bit longer to teach finding and smelting the ore and communicating the info across distances to Pittsburgh. Joking aside, it would have taken a long time for metal to become a commodity. Also, the remains of lost native tribes are not documented, but the archeological interest is primarily paleo. Stone tools would be the most prominent find, they were available and the easiest cutting tools to make. I doubt whether the time difference is relevant, 500yrs to get metal in wide enough use for us to be able to find documentation isn’t a long time.

Reactions: 0000

Forager
Sep 25, 2013
Scotland
www.instagram.com
It’s guessed the Vikings discovered land 500yrs before Columbus. They had metal. Just takes a bit longer to teach finding and smelting the ore and communicating the info across distances to Pittsburgh. Joking aside, it would have taken a long time for metal to become a commodity. Also, the remains of lost native tribes are not documented, but the archeological interest is primarily paleo. Stone tools would be the most prominent find, they were available and the easiest cutting tools to make. I doubt whether the time difference is relevant, 500yrs to get metal in wide enough use for us to be able to find documentation isn’t a long time.
Yeah that's true. Also, what's to say the Vikings would even want to teach their skills. They weren't exactly out for good relations.

Reactions: Lost in the woods

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Yeah that's true. Also, what's to say the Vikings would even want to teach their skills. They weren't exactly out for good relations.

They were probably the lads that took the magic mushrooms over, truth be told.:joyful:

Forager
Sep 25, 2013
Scotland
www.instagram.com
They were probably the lads that took the magic mushrooms over, truth be told.:joyful:
On that note, I was listening to a Mycology professor who said that it's quite possible that psilocybin mushrooms among others came to Earth on asteroids. The spores can apparently survive the rigours of space travel. I hope it's true.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
On that note, I was listening to a Mycology professor who said that it's quite possible that psilocybin mushrooms among others came to Earth on asteroids. The spores can apparently survive the rigours of space travel. I hope it's true.

Space Mushrooms make your feel Spaced??

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
There's a geological formation in swampy eastern Canada called "bog iron."
The Vikings were so well established that they were smelting bog iron.
The sites are so extensive that they can be seen from reconnaissance satellites.
That's how the first sites were discovered!

You and I both know that simple iron objects do not last long in damp environments.
I'd imagine almost no traces of the early accomplishments of the Norse immigrant to Canada.

Except for the mtDNA trace in eastern First Nations. That clearly identifies a European woman.

Forager
Sep 25, 2013
Scotland
www.instagram.com
There's a geological formation in swampy eastern Canada called "bog iron."
The Vikings were so well established that they were smelting bog iron.
The sites are so extensive that they can be seen from reconnaissance satellites.
That's how the first sites were discovered!

You and I both know that simple iron objects do not last long in damp environments.
I'd imagine almost no traces of the early accomplishments of the Norse immigrant to Canada.

Except for the mtDNA trace in eastern First Nations. That clearly identifies a European woman.
That's interesting! When you say "you and I" were you directing that? You didn't post as a reply to a comment.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
The 'Hawk would be particularly useful today. Sunshine, -5C and the stove is cold.
Was interesting to stand out in the street this afternoon and clearly hear people splitting firewood.
Neighbors got a big load of maybe 12" - 16" rounds, just for 'Flakes.

brambles

Settler
Apr 26, 2012
Aberdeenshire
Snowflakes ... i genuinely hate Snowflakes

Yep - snowflakes are utterly ridiculous people, imagine having such a fragile grip on your own personality that you get all upset at the very thought of not being able to use racial and sexual slurs against people you feel threatened by.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE