Peace Pipe Tomahawk

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I have a Cold steel Tomahawk I'm in the process of turning into a drilled Peace Pipe / Tomahawk suitable for using as a Pipe for smoking Tobacco.

Now , does anyone know if these things were a novelty type item for the First Nation people or in common usage?

By obviously drilling the handle one is somewhat corrupting the strength of the item so were they more a purely ceremonial item?

Any other related information or photos appreciated.

Reactions: 0000

Forager
Sep 25, 2013
Scotland
www.instagram.com
I have a Cold steel Tomahawk I'm in the process of turning into a drilled Peace Pipe / Tomahawk suitable for using as a Pipe for smoking Tobacco.

Now , does anyone know if these things were a novelty type item for the First Nation people or in common usage?

By obviously drilling the handle one is somewhat corrupting the strength of the item so were they more a purely ceremonial item?

Any other related information or photos appreciated.
No they were never used as tools. The tomahawk as you know it was actually English and French trade axes. The Native americans were essentially stone age people and they lashed stones to sticks. As far as peace pipes go, they were gifts from Europeans to Cheifs or elders. They were just symbolic and only functioned as pipes.

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

Reactions: TeeDee

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Is there any evidence of them ever actually being used by any of the tribes of the Americas?

Sorry Broch , You're suggesting that its a Hollywood type Myth?

Not saying you're incorrect.

I know we have a few members from that part of the world.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I dunno, but Paps is still about somewhere. He would be my go to guy for info, he made loads of pipe hawks, I always felt they were novelties.

Personally, and from an occasional pipe smokers point of view, I have never seen a steel bowled pipe. But it may also be, in First Nation people, the steel was far too valuable for cutting tools than to make smoking implements and the two were combined. I don’t know, but Paps explained the shepherds axe to me and it’s uses as a small blade, a walking pole, a hammer, and as defence against animals or poachers.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I just find it slightly unbelievable that a stone age group of people (no insult intended, they just didn't have metal until Europeans arrived) should decide to take this very useful piece of kit and use it for something they could just as easily use a piece of wood for.

Forager
Sep 25, 2013
Scotland
www.instagram.com
I just find it slightly unbelievable that a stone age group of people (no insult intended, they just didn't have metal until Europeans arrived) should decide to take this very useful piece of kit and use it for something they could just as easily use a piece of wood for.
They didn't. They were peace offerings from European traders.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter

No insult take - I've already told you , I don't identify as a First Nation individual - I'm a Fire Hydrant.

• Haha
Reactions: Robbi and Broch

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
So all/any Metal items used by first nation people would have come by way of trade with Europeans.

Forager
Sep 25, 2013
Scotland
www.instagram.com
Yeh, just read up about it, I'm still baffled by the whole concept :)
Yeah it is odd. I imagine it was just like being able to bring a culture this new technology and do something social with it. Like if you went to an uncontacted tribe in the Amazon and all listened to music on an iPhone. My best guess anyway.

Forager
Sep 25, 2013
Scotland
www.instagram.com
So all/any Metal items used by first nation people would have come by way of trade with Europeans.
I believe so. In north America at least. They did mine and work copper if I recall correctly. I think some mesoamerican or pre Colombian peoples also worked bronze and gold. I don't think any of them had discovered iron though.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
So , Is this actually the very non PC act of Cultural Appropriation of Europeans by First Nations people. ?

And by attempting to replicate it I'm actually replicating a , chimera.

Forager
Sep 25, 2013
Scotland
www.instagram.com
So , Is this actually the very non PC act of Cultural Appropriation of Europeans by First Nations people. ?

And by attempting to replicate it I'm actually replicating a , chimera.
I'm not sure if you're joking! It wasn't cultural appropriation if that even exists. It was just the adoption of a new technology. I have a bit of a hawk obsession and have quite a few customs. You couldn't pay me to bore a hole through one of my handles. Even the ones I make. If you're not going to hit anything and just want to smoke it then more power to ya.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I'm not sure if you're joking! It wasn't cultural appropriation if that even exists. It was just the adoption of a new technology. I have a bit of a hawk obsession and have quite a few customs. You couldn't pay me to bore a hole through one of my handles. Even the ones I make. If you're not going to hit anything and just want to smoke it then more power to ya.

Mostly joking.

I'm pretty anti-woke.. Just like poking holes in the PC fabric that smothers everything.

My local Rugby Team ( Exeter Chiefs ) recently received a lot of flack from the PC mob as some one felt that they were Culturally Inappropriate.

Aug 12, 2005
Glasgow

My understanding is that the Vikings were the first people to introduce metal to the North American continent

Forager
Sep 25, 2013
Scotland
www.instagram.com
Mostly joking.

I'm pretty anti-woke.. Just like poking holes in the PC fabric that smothers everything.

My local Rugby Team ( Exeter Chiefs ) recently received a lot of flack from the PC mob as some one felt that they were Culturally Inappropriate.
Oh like a low level Washington Redskins. Absolute nonsense. You'll note, it's never the supposedly oppressed groups that take offence. It's always some caucasian, blue haired, pierced faced, dumpy, privileged, awkward college kid. Sigh.

Forager
Sep 25, 2013
Scotland
www.instagram.com

My understanding is that the Vikings were the first people to introduce metal to the North American continent
I'd read that too but had that been the case, they would've had iron at the time of Christopher Columbus, which they didn't.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Oh like a low level Washington Redskins. Absolute nonsense. You'll note, it's never the supposedly oppressed groups that take offence. It's always some caucasian, blue haired, pierced faced, dumpy, privileged, awkward college kid. Sigh.

Perfect description !! and yes. So correct.

Although admittedly I now identify as African-European as that is where my generational roots are.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Mostly joking.

PC being polycarbonate, fairly hard to break, but quick to take offence at the slightest touch.

• Haha
Reactions: 0000 and TeeDee

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE