Paracord - the real stuff!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
I go through a lot of paracord (shelter, making baldricks for knives, basha building ...) I've been on the lookout for a UK supplier of the real 550lb breaking strain paracord in the UK (I hate paying over the odds for delivery from the US!). In my search I just came across this that might be useful to others who are equally sick of getting the stuff shipped from the US:

http://www.woodlandorganics.com/shop/misc/index.htm

Paracord - the real stuff - in the UK! :-D

ChrisKavanaugh

Need to contact Admin...
Don't let Bush see those comments. He just might put a trade tariff on something vital and stringy like Land Rover wiring looms. Then Tony Blair will address Parliament on CNN and I can hear all those "hear,hears." It truly is frustrating acquiring some gear. A forum member @ equipped posted about a nice poncho-shelter used in Norway. I tried contacting them to buy a sample for testing. The silence was deafening :-(

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
There are two problems with buying anything from abroad when you're in the UK:

1 - The price doubles ... at least. Add all the little stealth taxes and shipping, and a few more stelth taxes and it's pretty much double.

2 - Deliver to the UK from the US is a LOT slower than deliever from the UK to the US ... things linger in customs and the Royal Mail really add the "snail" to snail mail. The UK is a geographical oddity - 2 weeks from anywhere!

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
Sorry Adi got to disagree, my Gene Ingrams have been such good value because they are from the US. The price in dollars is about the same as you would expect in pounds for a custom knife (150 to 200) but there are almost 2 dollars to the pound at the minute so stuff from there is already half price!! I admit if you get stung for customs AND royal mail handling charge ( i've never heard such rubbish as from the post office on this) it gets expensive. If you can get someone to declare the package as a gift or put the value in pounds not dollars then the customs is better.

Having said that I was charged £5 by royal mail for a £4 customs fee = £9 all together and when I enquired they said if you want your package pay the fee if not we send it back!! I was livid.

In most cases if you are careful and a bit lucky stuff from america is very cheap now. Also Gene posted my knife on thursday and it was in Bedford Monday, no customs. I think it is customs + excise that hold stuff up.

Bill

Tvividr

Nomad
Jan 13, 2004
Norway
www.gjknives.com
ChrisKavanaugh said:
A forum member @ equipped posted about a nice poncho-shelter used in Norway.(
Do you mean the Fjellduken ("Mountain Tarp") from Jerven (www.jerven.no) ? Now that is a nice piece of equipment !! Can not only be used as a hootchie / basha but also as a poncho, windsack and sleeping bag depending on which modell you chose - and it is MUCH more versatile than a standard hootchie !! I have found the standard version to be a bit small when used for a shelter though, at least that's my opinion...

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
tenbears10 said:
Sorry Adi got to disagree, my Gene Ingrams have been such good value because they are from the US.

Yep, there are exception ... :-D

ChrisKavanaugh

Need to contact Admin...
Tvividr, Thats the one. I was very impressed with the design. Do you know what specific insulation is used beyond the aluminum liner? It appears to require reproofing with some well known products. I was told export is being held up by labeling or something and it's pretty much a domestic product.

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
The UK is a geographical oddity - 2 weeks from anywhere!

Thats one of my favourite films of all time!! :rolmao: Based on the teachings of Homer right? ("Oh Brother where art thou" to anyone unsure) Best film music in the world!

I tend to avoid things from America, it feels like a big risk to me! My highland took three weeks to arrive through no fault of DLT trading, I usually find what i am looking for right here in the UK. Cheers Adi!

Jake

Tvividr

Nomad
Jan 13, 2004
Norway
www.gjknives.com
ChrisKavanaugh said:
Do you know what specific insulation is used beyond the aluminum liner? It appears to require reproofing with some well known products. I was told export is being held up by labeling or something and it's pretty much a domestic product.

As far as I know (never having cut one open..) it is a similar synthetic insulating fibre as is used in sleeping bags. The layer is quite thin, and the insulated models are like a very thin and waterproof "quilted blanket".
I served in the Danish army where we at the time only used a dark green tarp slightly bigger than the British / Australian basha / hootchie tarps. The Fjellduken has been a standard issue in the Norwegian army for several years, and when speaking to friends who still serve in the Danish army I have been told that it is now standard issued to at least the Danish Special Forces and the Air Force. I also know that is has been used by the French Mountain Rescue in the French Alps (in orange and not the camo version), so I can not understand why export should be held up ? It is freely available for civilian use in Norway, and even sold through outdoorshops in Denmark as well (Sweden too ??).
If you really want one, and are having big problems with getting one directly from the company that makes them, then I may be able to help you - I can easily get them at at least two outdoor / hunting shops quite close to where I live here in Norway. Mind you that the different insulated models are in a quite steep price range though.....
PM or email me if you want me to try to see what I can do.

alick

Settler
Aug 29, 2003
Northwich, Cheshire
Jake Rollnick said:
I tend to avoid things from America, it feels like a big risk to me!
Jake

I'm the opposite Jake, I'm no longer prepared to put up with the old rule of one dollar to one pound in order to pay generous margins to UK importers. There are notable exceptions like Joe at ODS who offers great value and who I'm very happy to buy from, but with the exchange rate at its current level and a reliable insured airmail service from the US postal service for $25, I regularly deal direct and I'm saving a fortune on kit.

All of the problems I've ever seen are due to parcelforce in the UK. The trick is to be very aware of the size, value and labelling of packages from abroad in order to keep them out of the hands of UK customs and parcelforce. Don't be reluctant to dictate shipping methods to the US supplier and ask them to label goods as you want - if they refuse, I respect their reasons but that increases my risk so they don't get my business.

For small items, I've never had any problem with USPS global priority mail. This is airmail but uninsured. Because my experiences have all been positive and it can cost as little as $3 to post a knife this way I'm happy to take the risk. Provided it isn't labelled as a parcel or with a monster value on the packet, odds are it will never fall into parcelforce's hands and will arrive safely in 4-5 days.

I'd say try some low value orders to build up your confidence - there are big savings to be had and you may be surprised at how good the customer service is.

Cheers

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Cheers Alick,

I had a problem with paying customs an extra £13.50, so if i went global priority mail it would miss customs?

Cheers,

Jake

alick

Settler
Aug 29, 2003
Northwich, Cheshire
I can't offer any guarantees Jake, it's just that on the balance of my experience a lot of smaller stuff doesn't get hit.

I had one through the other day - a really nice hook knife from a US maker - labelled as a woodworking tool and with the real price $39 shown on the CN22 customs declaration (the supplier has to put this sticker on any package for overseas).
I was charged $3 for shipping by US Postal Service.

Arrived in a jiffy bag - delivered by my local post office chap - no customs, no problems.

Cheers

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Cheers Alick
Great, i may just give it a try on something cheapish. I suppose i wouldnt really use it for knives, as Joe at ODS has pretty much everything i need. But juggling equiptment is half of what it costs here, so i might do a test.

Cheers,

Jake

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
I'll post up pictures later of the difference between cheapo paracord and the real stuff. It's quite amazing, especially the tight, densely weaved outer.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE