Alternatives to paracord - an overview

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
For years I've been using cheap paracord for various cord tasks, such as guy lines and ridge lines, but I've never been happy with the cheap stuff, nor have I felt able to justify the prices for the genuine 550 cord.

As my quest to lighten my pack weight has progressed, I ended up with a new ultra light tarp. When you fork out to buy a RAB Siltarp 1 weighing 198g, you start to question the weight of the rest of the system, sticking 100g of pegs and 50g of guy lines in the pouch, you've nearly doubled the weight. Sure the whole thing is under 400g, but if you start doing that to every component in the system, your pack weight goes up. So began the search for a better cord solution.

I've ended up with various spools of cord through various group buys and online purchases, and following a request in another [thread=131191]thread[/thread] that someone look at the alternatives to paracord, I thought I'd give a quick view of some of the options out there.

snugglerow01crop_720.jpg

In my bag of misc cords that aren't paracord I found the following cord:

Cord NameWeight of 2mBreaking strainPricecolours
Yudeli 1mm 4 strand Dyneema1.3g90kg£6.00/100mGreen
English Braids 1mm Dinghy Dyneema1.9g50kg£7.34/100mWhite
1.13mm Microparacord2.2g45kg£24.95/300mBlack, Olive Green, Urban Camo
English Braids 1.5mm Dinghy Dyneema2.5g70kg£14.74/100mBlack/White
English Braids 2mm Dinghy Dyneema6.0g120kg£19.52/100mBlack, Yellow, Pink, Blue, Red, White
Amsteel Blue 2.5mm7.2g650kg£0.99/1MLight grey, Dark Grey, Blue, Green, Yellow, Orange, Red

groupshot_720.jpg

Comparison of the size of 2m hanks of the various cords. The jump from 1.5mm to 2mm results in a big increase in volume.

smellydyneema01_320.jpg

Make/Model: Yudeli 1mm 4 strand Dyneema
Weight of 2m guy line: 1.3g
Breaking Strain: 90kg
Price: £6.00/100m
Colours: Green

This is the first cord I got. I got it via a group buy on here run by Midnighthound. It's been my biggest disappointment. When it arrived in the post, I took it out the jiffy bag and looked at it. It was quite nice cord, easy on the hands, nice to handle. Then I breathed in. Yeouch it stank. It had a really strong solventy smell. I banished the cord to the porch, and then went to try and wash the dye off my hands. This one leaches dye, a *LOT*.

Not deterred I embarked on a long process that took over a year, to try and get rid of the solventy stench, and ideally some of the excess dye. I tried water, I tried washing up liquid and water, and eventually white spirit. The water removed a lot of dye, which then stuck to all the lime scale in what I thought was a clean bath, making it look like I'd killed a Vulcan... The washing up liquid didn't seem to do much for the smell either. Eventually, the white spirit. This replaced one solventy smell with another. I rinsed it once more in washing up liquid and water. This got rid of the white spirit odour, and had reduced the solventy odour to a mild background. Finally I had a cord that I could bear to be in the same room with to test.

This cord is too slippery to work well with the mini Line loks that I use on my guy lines. It holds basic knots like bowlines without issue but when you try to Prusik with it however, it's too slippery to hold. As a cord goes, it's very light, and very strong, but it's odour, non-fast dye and lack of ability to hold a friction knot has resigned it to sitting in my cord bag doing not a lot.

eb1mmdyneema01_320.jpg

Make/Model:English Braids 1mm Dinghy Dyneema
Weight of 2m guy line: 1.9g
Breaking Strain: 50kg
Cost: £7.34/100m
Colours: White

I got this as a single 2m sample to test from English Braids. It's the thinnest cord in their Braid on Braid Dinghy Dyneema. It comprises a SK75 braided dyneema core, with a braided polyester outer, this gives the benefits of a super strong cord, with extra abrasion resistance and knot holding ability of the outer.

The cord itself is nice, it's very thin so you do need to make some allowances, careful choice of knot is needed else you may never get it undone again. But the cord holds a knot well, holds itself with a line lok, and takes a Prusik well too. The only negative this cord has going for it is the colour. As it stands English Braids only make it in White. This cord comes in 200m spools.

microparacord01_320.jpg

Make/Model: 1.13mm Microparacord
Weight of 2m guy line: 2.2g
Breaking Strain: 45kg
Price: £24.95/300m
Colours: Black, Olive Green, Urban Camo

This is the weakest cord in the test, and the only one made entirely of Nylon. Like it's bigger cousin 550lb Paracord, it's a nylon braid over a nylon inner. You can pull it apart if you want, but I'm not sure the inner would be as useful as 550 paracord. Being Nylon it has more stretch than the other options. It holds a knot well, but again you have to be a bit careful in your choice of knots, things like a bowline are easy to break the back of and untie, some knots are not as easy to untie on this cord. The knot works well with line loks and takes a Prusik well.

This cord is available as 30m lengths, or 300m Spools.

eb1.5mmdyneema01_320.jpg

Make/Model: English Braids 1.5mm Dinghy Dyneema
Weight of 2m guy line: 2.5g
Breaking Strain: 70kg
Price: £14.74/100m
Colours: Black/White

This cord has an identical construction to it's thinner sibling the 1mm. The extra 0.5mm makes the cord that little bit easier when it comes to untying knots. Tho it still has the potential to be fiddly if you use a poor choice of knot. This cord works well with line loks and holds a Prusik well.

Like it's thinner sibling the major draw back with this cord is it's colour.
English Braids only make it in Black & White. If you want something a little more subtle, like black, you have to order a whole batch of 1300m (Group buy anyone?). This cord comes in 200m spools.

eb2mmdyneema01_320.jpg

Make/Model: English Braids 2mm Dinghy Dyneema
Weight of 2m guy line: 6.0g
Breaking Strain: 120kg
Price: £19.52/100m
Colours: Black, Yellow, Pink, Blue, Red, White

The next step up the English Braids range, it shares an identical construction to the 1mm and 1.5mm cord, with a SK75 dyneema inner and a polyester outer. This cord is the mainstay of my cord usage. I use this cord for all the guy lines and ridge lines of my tarps, as well as all other cord uses round camp. It takes knots well, holds a Prusik well, and works perfectly with the smallest line loks. The increase in size and weight over the 1.5mm is noticeable when you hold the two together, tho this is still in the seriously light weight camp. This cord is available in 6 colours and comes on 200m spools.

amsteel01_320.jpg

Make/Model: Amsteel Blue 2.5mm
Weight of 2m guy line: 7.2g
Breaking Strain: 650kg
Price: £0.99/1M
Colours: Light grey, Dark Grey, Blue, Green, Yellow, Orange, Red

As cord for guy lines and general purpose cord use round camp, Amsteel blue is massively over kill, but as it was with the other cords I'm testing in my bag of misc cord, it seemed like a good idea to include it in the review.

This cord is made of 8 strands of SK75 dyneema coated with a proprietary coating to improve abrasion resistance. Being a single braid this cord lends itself to splicing allowing for things like whoopie slings and soft shackles. Knot holding ability is ok, and line loks work. However the self lubricating nature of dyneema means that it won't hold a Prusik knot. I wouldn't recommend it for general camp use. But for cases where you need the extra strength, such as in hammock suspension, this cord is great stuff.

Conclusion
bowline01_320.jpg

So of all of these cords which would I choose as my guy line of choice on a super ultra light tarp? If I could get it in black or olive green, I would go for the 1.5mm English Braids Dinghy Dyneema. It has the best balance of features vs weight. However, unless I can get enough of you to join me in buy 1300m in a group buy, I'll use the micro paracord.

linelok01_320.jpg

Hope this article has been useful for those wanting an alternative to paracord.

Reactions: Crac

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
A really useful review - thank you very much. Do you have a website from where you can get the English Briads 1.5mm dinghy cord? I have to admit, the black/white combo doesn't bother me!

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Good read that, thanks

What i'v mostly taken away from it though is a mental image of meself basking in the glory of owning a 1300m spool of string :lmao:

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
A really useful review - thank you very much. Do you have a website from where you can get the English Briads 1.5mm dinghy cord? I have to admit, the black/white combo doesn't bother me!

You can get it direct from English braids in 200m reels, tho the postage on such a small amount will sting.

Or Backpackinglight.co.uk sell it in shorter lengths.

If you're ok to wait a day or two, I've asked for a quote for a full batch of 1300m in black. Once I know the price I'll put it out for a group buy.

Good read that, thanks

What i'v mostly taken away from it though is a mental image of meself basking in the glory of owning a 1300m spool of string :lmao:

Alas it comes in 200m spools. For a project I was working on years ago I ended up ordering 1.2km of rope. I've still got far to much of it, I keep adding a spool to ebay every so often.

Through the group buys I've done I've had about 1km of dyneema come into the house, get cut into shorter lengths, and repackaged.

Last night I thought I'd tidy up some of my kit, and found the 1mm green dyneema was all tangled up. I thought it won't take me long to fix, I'll put the radio on and untangle it. 8 hours later I finally coiled it onto a spoil. My hands were green.

J

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK

Tiley I see you are in Gloucestershire, English Braids is based in Malvern Worcestershire, you can buy it direct from them (Monday-Friday 8:0-5:30) but I don’t know if it’s too far away from you to travel there. Note that Dinghy Dyneema is one particular cord and they do lots of types all with a different name, (be careful to get the name right, not all dinghy cord is ''Dinghy Dyneema'', there's some on ebay sometimes) Dinghy Dyneema cord has a polyester sheath with an inner core of dyneema. Personally I just use ordinary 1.5mm polyester or nylon cord myself (similar to blind cord) as it’s easy to get and quite cheap, and as dinghy dyneema is also made with a polyester sheath anyway the weight difference is probably very slight for the short lengths used on tarps. English Braids sell different types of polyester braid (blind cord) as well though you can buy that lots of places if you care to shop around for best price. Oh and if you want lighter paracord then you can just strip out the inner strands which makes it considerably lighter, it is then what is just known as hollow braid.

This is the English Braid website, based in Malvern they do various cords, note that Dinghy Dyneema is just one of them. For Dinghy Dyneema click on Leisure Marine tab at top of page and then click on Dinghy, for other small cord click on Cords tab then either Window Blinds for polyetser cord or Small Cords for other different types. ATB.

http://www.englishbraids.com/leisure-marine/dinghy

http://www.englishbraids.com/cords

BILLy

Apr 16, 2005
NORTH WALES
You can get it direct from English braids in 200m reels, tho the postage on such a small amount will sting.

Or Backpackinglight.co.uk sell it in shorter lengths.

If you're ok to wait a day or two, I've asked for a quote for a full batch of 1300m in black. Once I know the price I'll put it out for a group buy.

Alas it comes in 200m spools. For a project I was working on years ago I ended up ordering 1.2km of rope. I've still got far to much of it, I keep adding a spool to ebay every so often.

Through the group buys I've done I've had about 1km of dyneema come into the house, get cut into shorter lengths, and repackaged.

Last night I thought I'd tidy up some of my kit, and found the 1mm green dyneema was all tangled up. I thought it won't take me long to fix, I'll put the radio on and untangle it. 8 hours later I finally coiled it onto a spoil. My hands were green.

J

I to bought the green smelly stuff, use it time to time for general jobs just to use it up, what you said about it was exactly right, and just tried my first batch of your group buy line locks with it and was gutted it didn't work (btw came up with a good idea to get more tension with the line locks) will divulge later, I am a defo for the group buy of the cord please, I don't get on the forum as much as I used to so could I reserve my place now? Thanks and excellent review very helpful

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE