overlevnad translation...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bhold

Tenderfoot
Feb 19, 2005
Lancaster
Ok, maybe you're all looking this thread because, like myself, you would really like to have an english translation of this manual.
I have done half :rolleyes: of the job: I managed to convert the pdf document to text.
NOW, if someone has a software able to translate from swedish, it is easier to enter than a pdf.

After that, we can make group efforts to fix the lousy english that will result of this process (like, each on of us corrects a chapter.. does it sounds ok?)
Anyone willing to go for it with me?
Cheers,
Luciano

P

Phantom

try going on the google language tools and using the translater tool on that.
it might work
phantom :D

Bhold

Tenderfoot
Feb 19, 2005
Lancaster
Ahjno said:
You can try and PM Abbe Osram, he's in Sweden - or Bumblebee, who's IIRC Swedish.

Sorry I can't be of more assistance ... my Swedish isn't what it used to be ;)

I've thought about Abbe... bu do not think he will be up to translating it all by himself.
I do not speak Swedish either, was thinking on translating with some software (which we still have to find), and correcting the english of the automatically translated version.
Does anyone have this kind of software? Or access to it at work?

Hi,

How big is the publication you are wanting to translate?

Could it be broken down into paragraphs and then put into an online freebie translator programme like this: -

http://www.translation-guide.com/free_online_translators.php?from=Swedish&to=English

Perhaps we could get people involved and break it down into small chunks of, say, 10 pages per person?

Perhaps it's worth giving the URL above a go with a paragraph?

Phil.

torjusg said:
I can take a chapter or two. If I am quick to say it can I choose what chapters to take?

I want: :D

Föda

and

Jakt och fiske

Hi Torjus,

Just tried the translator URL from my earlier post.

The two chapters you'd like are: -

"nurture, food, nourishment, sustenance, breed, feed"

and

"Chase and angle"

Looks like it might take a while to translate on this site :lmao:

Phil.

torjusg

Native
Aug 10, 2005
Telemark, Norway
livingprimitively.com
Too Much Kit To Carry said:
Hi Torjus,

Just tried the translator URL from my earlier post.

The two chapters you'd like are: -

"nurture, food, nourishment, sustenance, breed, feed"

and

"Chase and angle"

Looks like it might take a while to translate on this site :lmao:

Phil.

But that is no problem for me as I only need the software in my brain... :cool: :D

Will not be done in an instant though.

Feygan

Forager
Oct 14, 2006
Northern Ireland
An old friend of mine used to translation work, he used softwar like this [urlhttp://www.smartlinkcorp.com/translation-software/translation-software-systran-premium-ST24103-info.html[/url] I'll see if I can email him and if I theres anychance he could stick the manual through that. Sounds like it would get the whole job done in minutes?

If you can just let me know exactly what pdf it is your trying to convert?

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
torjusg said:
Wouldn't translating it without permission be a copyright violation?

being a military document, I dont think it has any copyright.

you will probably need permission to reproduce it in a translated version though, I will call Lars (who is probably one of, if not the principal author) and see if he has any objection or knows any reason why the swedish military might object.

Viking

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
Sweden
www.nordicbushcraft.com
Stuart said:
being a military document, I dont think it has any copyright.

you will probably need permission to reproduce it in a translated version though, I will call Lars (who is probably one of, if not the principal author) and see if he has any objection or knows any reason why the swedish military might object.

It has a copyrigt, and it belongs to Försvarsmakten (Swedish MOD). LArs Fält has nothig really to do with the book, he was just one of the people involved in the book, so was Stefan Källman.

Feygan

Forager
Oct 14, 2006
Northern Ireland
Ok well my mate mailed me back, said its no probs, if i can get him a copy of the pdf and its not too big in size, then he can have the whole thing done in minutes :)

So if you can find out about the copyright issues I'll be happy to lend a hand.

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
Ok I've had a quick chat with Lars, he has confirmed that he was one of the 3 authors of the document and the copyright is held by the Swedish department of defence, but is freely distributed by them, so he doesn’t think there would be any problem downloading and distributing the .PDF copy

however that doesn’t necessarily make it ok to alter the document and it seems to be a bit of a grey area as to whether changing the language of a freely distributed document constitutes altering it.

Lars was able to provide some contact details for the Swedish MOD where I could request clarification and permission to proceed; I am pursuing this avenue and will let you know how it goes

Bhold

Tenderfoot
Feb 19, 2005
Lancaster
When the copyright issue is solved, I can send Feygan the .html version (in opposition to the PDF version everybody has).
Well, it seems like everything will be sorted out. :)

It seems that the days of looking to the pictures of a very promising book and not being able to read it will soon be over! :D
Cheers, mates

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE