'Overlevnad' PDF Download in English

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Hi Yup all talked over before about legality and permission etc.
here:
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21611&highlight=Overlevnad:D

Looks ok, depending on what sgt sim actually got from them.

we just need a Kind swede to translate:) pretty please:rolleyes:

As long as you don't use fighing words like "kind". I am old enough to be a nasty tempered b*st*rd, and I will stand on my rights...

that's lost on all us English speakers :confused:

Don't worry, we would never say anything bad about you behind your back. Unless we felt like it, of course.

forestwalker

Most of the first chapeter is done as a draft (i.e. I have not meditated over stylistic issues or word choices), but the issue of the illustations should be solved. I can snarf them from the PDF (low icky resolutions) and give the source for each one, or just leave them out. Ideal would be to get them in full glory, of course. And I will not translate the text inside the illustrations, that is too much like work (but I would summarize them in a caption).

But no one will see any of it until have I have seen an official word that it is ok, I do not want people in the circles I move POed at me, nor do I intend to break the law in such a silly way. If someone has actual contact details for the relevant people PM me (or have an official letter they can send me a copy of).

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
cheers you're a good chap...or should i say
a nasty tempered b*st*rd,
;)

But no one will see any of it until have I have seen an official word that it is ok, I do not want people in the circles I move POed at me, nor do I intend to break the law in such a silly way. If someone has actual contact details for the relevant people PM me (or have an official letter they can send me a copy of).

I'm sure I speak for all of us in saying no one wants to break any law and wouldn't want anyone to do so on our behalf!
Even so a big thank you from us "English speaking Bushcrafty types" for helping!

Mastino

Settler
Mar 8, 2006
Netherlands
I just said that Forestwalker is a hero! You know how it goes, we Italians always had Swedish as a compulsory subject in school:D

Chris G

Settler
Mar 23, 2007
Cheshire
I am still working on this when I get a chance, but I mut admit to not having done anything on it for the last 3 weeks.

Thanks for the reminder!

Chris

PropThePolecat

Tenderfoot
Mar 29, 2009
Mainland Europe
Hey everybody

I'd like to hear if i maybe could give a hand with the translation. Im from Denmark so i know swedish and have no problems writing in english.

Are you doing it in any specific organised way or just typing it in MS word? Are the chapters split up between different folks or what?

What i can do is translating some of the text into a word doc if somebody else would take care of the layout/style issues. Graphic design is way out of my league!

Regards
Mads

forestwalker

Hey everybody

I'd like to hear if i maybe could give a hand with the translation. Im from Denmark so i know swedish and have no problems writing in english.

Are you doing it in any specific organised way or just typing it in MS word? Are the chapters split up between different folks or what?

What i can do is translating some of the text into a word doc if somebody else would take care of the layout/style issues. Graphic design is way out of my league!

I have no idea what others are doing, but I'm working in LaTeX. For the rest of you; this is not an admission of strange perversions, nor of an extremely leaky roof, LaTeX (StudlyCaps and all) is a typesetting system. Nice chapters, tables of contents, and possibly even an index in the end. Nice looking fairly compact PDF file as the end result. LaTeX was created in the 80's by a man who found that there was no system capable of typesetting his math heavy PhD thesis so he created one...

But right now I need to now how many are working on this, what has been done, etc. Not too many porpoises in 3-4 of us having some sort of comptition regarding who gets done first...

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
as for how it is handed out?
I dont' use MS word and havent heard of LaTeX.:confused:
I use Open office org. it could get complicated:eek:

How about the translated text were just posted on a thread, then we can cut and paste into which ever system we use,if you post it in similar paragraphs it will be fairly obvious where the pieces fit.

all we'd need is:

1) Page number.
2) is it connected to a picture ie fig 1, fig 2, fig 3. (the numbers will give it away anyway).

Hope that's helpful

forestwalker

as for how it is handed out?
I dont' use MS word and havent heard of LaTeX.:confused:
I use Open office org. it could get complicated:eek:

How about the translated text were just posted on a thread, then we can cut and paste into which ever system we use,if you post it in similar paragraphs it will be fairly obvious where the pieces fit.

all we'd need is:

1) Page number.
2) is it connected to a picture ie fig 1, fig 2, fig 3. (the numbers will give it away anyway).

Hope that's helpful

Gahh! You do not want to do it that way, trust me. Horrid, you'd loose all nice things like page-refs, neatly placed images, etc, etc.

Nobody ever intended you to see the LaTeX, it looks like this:

=========================
By telling yourself that fear is both normal and manageable, and by
believing in yourself, your equipment, and your training you have taken
the first vital steps towards conquering your fears.

The mnemonic rule below may help you in a stressful situation:

\begin{tabular}{l @{ -- } p{7cm}}
\textbf{S} & Stop. Don't act in haste.\\
\textbf{T} & Think about your situation. How great is the risk of
discovery? \\
\textbf{O} & Orient yourself. Where are you? What assets you you have at
your disposal? \\
\textbf{P} & Plan your route of travel.\\
\end{tabular}

\section{Boredom and loneliness}
========================
(Ok, I was nasty and picked a bit with some layout tricks involved, but still not intended for the great unwashed to see)

Word might be more point&drool compatible, but almost as horrid for producing a neat text. OpenOffice is basically a clone of Word, no major gains (perhaps the ability to use true open document formats)

PDF will give you a book with nice layout; LaTeX is just my tool for producing a professional level "book" in PDF format.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
A PDF file will look like the printed version of the book, which I think would be best, however there would be nothing to stop people converting the PDF to there own preferred format.

Chris G

Settler
Mar 23, 2007
Cheshire
Ok so I've got as far as "String", but even using a combination of the google translator and the swedish version of wikipedia I still have a few words wich I haven't found "acceptable" translations for, such as;

förflyttningsväg
askens
Fotlappar
Heat Kruse
Enmanskök
Kokgrop - This had a few "interesting" translations!
Kådklump
SUMP
Pors
Snörena
Isbil
Sil
Sårtvätt
bärmesen
slanoma
fotlapparna
Starrartema
Skohöet
nässelrep
björkvidor
bensenorna

I've been using word so far but had acrobat writer added to my PC at work the other day so may start again in acrobat.

Chri

forestwalker

förflyttningsväg -- I'd use "route" in most cases, would ned a sentence to be sure
askens -- we are talking about survival kit in a *tin*?
Fotlappar -- I'l poke an aracheologist and a dress historian about that (squares of cloth wrapped around the foot)
Heat Kruse - ?
Enmanskök -- stove, cooker, etc. What they meant was what is refered to here as the "Swedish Army Trangia"
Kokgrop - pit cooking
Kådklump -- lump of spruce/pine gum/resin
SUMP -- context needed for that one?
Pors -- Bog myrtle (Myrica gale)
Snörena -- the strings (suffix "-ena" is used for the definite article)
Isbil -- context needed, probably "ice auger"
Sil -- sieve (most likely, depends on context)
Sårtvätt -- wound cleanser
bärmesen -- packframe
slanoma -- poles, as in young trees
fotlapparna -- se fotlappar above, the -arna suffic indicates definite article
Starrartema -- "the sedge [Carex sp.] species"
Skohöet -- sho hay, made primarilly from Carex rostrata
nässelrep -- rope from nettle fibers
björkvidor -- björkvidjor? Thin branches prepared as improvised cordage
bensenorna -- leg sinews

I've been using word so far but had acrobat writer added to my PC at work the other day so may start again in acrobat.

If you mail me your stuff in some sort of export format I can format it together with my stuff. LaTeX almost certainly gives a better product that word alone. W do want a pro-looking product, right?

Mar 27, 2009
Sweden
Ok so I've got as far as "String", but even using a combination of the google translator and the swedish version of wikipedia I still have a few words wich I haven't found "acceptable" translations for, such as;

förflyttningsväg
askens
Fotlappar
Heat Kruse
Enmanskök
Kokgrop - This had a few "interesting" translations!
Kådklump
SUMP
Pors
Snörena
Isbil
Sil
Sårtvätt
bärmesen
slanoma
fotlapparna
Starrartema
Skohöet
nässelrep
björkvidor
bensenorna

Chri

I could give it a try, but my english sucks but here come some home-made translations:
förflyttningsväg; way of movement
askens; the box
Fotlappar
Heat Kruse
Enmanskök; mess tin, "one man stove"
Kokgrop - This had a few "interesting" translations! ;fire pit
Kådklump lump of resin
SUMP
Pors
Snörena; the strings
Isbil
Sil ;strainer, colander
Sårtvätt;wound cleaning
bärmesen (carrying-)rack (on a rucksack)
slanoma (sluts, not really, swedish joke, the long and narrow trunk of a young tree)
fotlapparna
Starrartema
Skohöet
nässelrep; nettlerope
björkvidjor; birchosier
bensenorna; the sinew from legs

/K

forestwalker

Sump; unless they are talking coffee it is probably a fishermans keep "net", for keeping live fish in. The M59 uniform system had a net over the helmet, that they suggest could be used to keep fish alive in.

And "Heat kruse" might be "kokkärl", i.e. a cooking pot.

Karl5

Life Member
May 16, 2007
Switzerland
SUMP -- context needed for that one?

Depending on context

Sump = Sump

Or, when the context means the swedish Fisksump

Fisksump = Container/cage in or filled with fresh water to keep live fish or bait or other live sea/water cratures in. That'll make it a Fish Pen or a Holding Cage or some such.

Karl5

Life Member
May 16, 2007
Switzerland
Isbil -- context needed, probably "ice auger"

Nope, can't be ice auger.
That's one of these:
Polar%20ice%20auger.JPG

An "Isbil" is more like a massive chisel with a long handle. "Ice chisel"?? "Ice pick"??

Unless he of course means "Isbil" = The Ice-Wagon/-Car bringing you ice to your ice-box at home. Got to keep those beers chilled. That's true survival!!! ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE