Open invitation arctic meet 2017

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

SGL70

Dec 1, 2014
Luleå, Sweden
Well....'Barn' is Swedish for Children...Still an OK price, I guess.

They don't have a page in the anglo-saxon tounge (for reasons that completely eludes me) but google might be helpful...

Greger

Last edited:

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
I'll squeeze into a kids size for that price... but blimey... I need to concentrate on my Swedish.

I am right that varma skor means hot boots though aren't I? Tell me I've learned just a little Swedish in the past six months other than Mandag, Tisdag, Onsdag, Torsdag. Fredag, Lordag amd Sondag?

I really do need to work harder on my Swedish.

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
Dave, I asked WinterTrekker about the pots, here's his reply, hope it's usefull :)

"Thanks Alan! Best of luck on your first winter camp! The pots in this video were: (a) largest were an old set of Olicamp stainless steel nesting pots. These are very hard to find now. Not sure if they are still made? I think they are 2 and 3 quart sizes. The smallest pot in the back of the stove is a 900ml Primus LiTech anodized aluminum, which you will be familiar with in Sweden. I drilled it and added aluminum offset tabs riveted in, and added a wire bail handle. The Primus is very small and only is for the back of the stove in that small area beside the pipe. I need the bigger volume pots for lots of hot boiled water for cooking, drinking hot beverages to stay hydrated, filling the insulated water bottle every morning, and for hot wash and rinse dishwater for cleaning up pots from meals. I carry a small plastic wash basin for wash and rinse of pots and cutlery from cooked meals. The small plastic basin means I don't have soapy water in the pots. Since this video was made, I have recently switched to a set of nesting Evernew Titanium pots, but also have the little Primus LiTech as well. I drilled and riveted them for wire bail handles as well. In my most recent winter trekking videos you can see the new pot set on the stove."

TinkyPete

Sep 4, 2009
uk mainly in the Midlands though
On the Pot front I am taking a 4l Stainless steel army square pot and the nesting ali nesting billy pots for group cooking kit. That gives us 4 pots with no trouble. For personal cook kit I am taking my trangia 1l kettle and a MSR stainless frying pan. personal eating out kit is my wildo lunch box, which gives me two plates/bowls, spork, both size of folding cups, chopping board and salt/pepper container. I will also have my mini kitchen kit as well and a collapsible wash bowl.

I am taking one of the back up multi fuel stoves for the group and Chris is taking the other.

Greger, will there be easy access to meths and paraffin when we are out there I know it will be labelled differently but will we need to get it from a garage or hardware store? As I know when we went to Norway there were only a couple of places we could get it.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
were an old set of Olicamp stainless steel nesting pots. These are very hard to find now. Not sure if they are still made?

Thanks Al! :) Thats the mystery cleared up then.

Any word from Emma yet Greger?

Hope youre Ok Chris. :You_Rock_ I need to get whatsapp. someone else mentioned it the other day.

Ash has bought a used Toboggan from LOTN. [They are selling them off cheaply, the used ones]

Dewi, I'd get as much as you can over here mate. You'll get better prices, and we may not be able to stop, depending on how the transport pans out....[Although I'd like to have a wander around that shop as much as the next kit freak....:).....Plus you need to knw the exact dimensions f your luggage when packed for the return journey, for the airline]

We'll be setting off early, [in the dark] from Kiruna and arriving in the dark in Vietas...Cold camp first night. Maybe a brew up. We cant cross the lake in the dark.

I might just dig a snow grave, and sleep in that. All lined up next to each other.....:goodnight: Then the following morning, we can have a hearty breakfast, and have all day to cross the lake and move up to a good base camp site.

[video=youtube;E-ShDMRpjOU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-ShDMRpjOU[/video]

My latest pair of Rubber overboots arrived this morning. Dont know dont know dont know........Wish I had some snow to walk around in, to try them.

A snowy meet in December does sound like a very good idea. I need to test my sled, with the new kit, and lashings, and snowshoes, and rubber overboots etc. etc

With your NBC overboots Pete, and your atlas rubber straps, do you just pull the back strap tight, above your heel?

Do you have much rubber slack at the toe and the heel sticking out?

[video=youtube;yjLZypQWUfU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjLZypQWUfU[/video]

Last edited:

SGL70

Dec 1, 2014
Luleå, Sweden
Meths and Paraffin
Normally bought at a petrol station (OK/Q8, Shell, Cirkle K) or a sports store (perhaps not paraffin in the latter case). The OK/Q8 in my village carries both.
Useful Swedish terms: Meths ="T-sprit" or "T-röd", Paraffin = "Lysfotogen".

Emma.....nah...must be in hybernation (3 voice messages, still no sign of life)

Just out of curiosity - Rubber boots? What is the intended use? Makes perfect sense in a +/-5C environment, though...

Greger

Last edited:

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Emma.....nah...must be in hybernation (3 voice messages, still no sign of life)

Just out of curiosity - Rubber boots? What is the intended use? Makes perfect sense in a +/-5C environment, though...

Greger

Hi Greger thanks for trying, but if she's not responding, we need to ask Tomas if we can book a date and a time with him then? I can call him if you like? But we need to get something firmed up.

Rubber Boots? Check out the video above mate.

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
Yeah get hold of Thomas, maybe switch plans and stay and their place, offer whiskey as a sweetener lol

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Check out the local regs re cutting down live branches before you go hacking away! To make a decent bed from pine/spruce boughs takes a lot of branches, and pretty much by definition they have to come from live trees.

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
I'm in, on my travels around the WWW today I found out that Kiruna means Ptamargon, somehow translated from Sammi, never seen that before ??

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
Check out the local regs re cutting down live branches before you go hacking away! To make a decent bed from pine/spruce boughs takes a lot of branches, and pretty much by definition they have to come from live trees.

There is that, we won't be wanting to fall foul of any laws.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia

I wouldnt risk putting my exped mat on a load of spruce boughs. It might pop it! Just on a builders tarp, maybe a CCF, or my jerven bag, with my sleeping bag on top.

Kiruna Means Ptarmigan? Um. Cool.

Last edited:

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
An idle though, for what it's worth, on the subject of pine boughs. A few years ago a group from Bushcraftuk went to Oslo in January to camp in the forest there. Most of the guys stayed in a large (ish) tent. After a day or so the packed snow on the floor turned into an icerink. As result I always use some pine boughs trodden into the floor of my tent to act as an anti-slip mat. You really don't want to be slipping about in a tipi, as it's all too easy to reflex- grab hold of the centre pole, stove or stovepipe as support......

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Ah - my response was in respect to the sleeping in an outdoor "coffin" video shown earlier. However, the biggest area of heat-loss when sleeping in snow is the floor. Whilst an Exped (or similar) down or synthetic mat will give some protection, a plastic groundsheet will give none. A bed of boughs underneath a tarp, then an insulated mat, will be significantly more effective. Remember that your body weight effectively compresses the lower part of your sleeping bag, rendering the insulation from below much less effective.Whilst watching the above video, I immediately thought of the IPK kit - basically a tarp with pegs and some cordage. This would b a brilliant addition to the coffin snow shelter, as it would give a roof to it. Shovel on a bit of loose snow onto the tarp, and you'll get additional insulation. Clearly you'd need to have part of the trench uncovered, otherwise any snowfall could cut off oxygen supply....

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
An idle though, for what it's worth, on the subject of pine boughs. A few years ago a group from Bushcraftuk went to Oslo in January to camp in the forest there. Most of the guys stayed in a large (ish) tent. After a day or so the packed snow on the floor turned into an icerink. As result I always use some pine boughs trodden into the floor of my tent to act as an anti-slip mat. You really don't want to be slipping about in a tipi, as it's all too easy to reflex- grab hold of the centre pole, stove or stovepipe as support......

Thats a good tip Andy. :)

Weve got one of THESE as a groundsheet for our tent.

Oh yeh, ordered another pair of rubber overboots this morning. Straight after receiving a pair. The mind boggles.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE