Open invitation arctic meet 2017

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
Looks like you could do with a few more chimney wires though mate. Get some copper wire of ebay. Much cheeper...😉😉😉

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
Yeah definitely one of the tweaks needed, works well though

728b99939a730d04000345198caab3a4.jpg

9678ae98e8e29fbf39cb55cb53fb265d.jpg

2873844ced8c9c140241ae50842e1383.jpg

Fire blanket, just as an extra precaution

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
Looks a good setup though mate. Use an original as a template or some guttering or some thing as a template. Just wrap the copper wire round then give it 2 twists to lock it in position. Its what im going to do for spares. They cost like £10 each to buy...😲😲😲😲😲

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
Yeah that's ridiculous money, I have copper wire at home that I'll strip to make some and to take as spare, snare lol on another note, I'll be building the stove box in the hostel on the first night, so fiddly, no chance in the field, well you could but wouldn't recommend it

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
Yeah that's ridiculous money, I have copper wire at home that I'll strip to make some and to take as spare, snare lol on another note, I'll be building the stove box in the hostel on the first night, so fiddly, no chance in the field, well you could but wouldn't recommend it

Edit, not sure what happened there lol

Yeah, you need to test it before we go to tweak it and make it safe I would have thought, better safe and proven gear

Last edited:

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
Yes mate for sure. Need to burn in the stove pipe anyway. Makes it easyer to roll up im told. Will be getting out to the local mountains for a weekend woods test when im back. Then up Scotland to test the cold weather gear which i hope will be cold and lots of snow.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
is anyone interested in learning to make a quinze and sleeping in it? Or making snowshoes? as per the the instructor i had [trained by lars falt]

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
Looks like you could do with a few more chimney wires though mate. Get some copper wire of ebay. Much cheeper...😉😉😉

As part of the testing I've reached the conclusion that the wires are pants, so much so that I'll be looking to replace them with some form of solid ring, there's no way the wires are usable given what we're going to imho that is.

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
As part of the testing I've reached the conclusion that the wires are pants, so much so that I'll be looking to replace them with some form of solid ring, there's no way the wires are usable given what we're going to imho that is.

Yes i see what your saying Al but dont forget you have to make a compromise for the small pack size and weight of the thing. Its not going to be as solid as normal wood stove. Maybe ask dave see what he thinks. He has used them more than me.

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
I agree about pack size and weight but we're not going ultra lightweight, I was thinking of something like the rings used for eggs, I have some but they are about 4mm bigger, it might get easier with use once the flue gets a memory, I'll do a few more burns and see what happens, Dave, any input mate.

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
The heat should make it better mate. Get a load of small birch or pine going in it. That will burn quick and chuck out plenty of heat.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Fudge that flue's massive! Piccy in the field your wires need to be spread out more. They do work well. Have you noticed any smoke coming out of the side of the flue? No?

I'd be tempted to cut some off the top!

IT is the TI-goat right? I forget sorry. Or is it the seek outside? [In which case PM shewie, he has one]

Do you have these ss end rings:

SSCN0948.JPG

If so, they go on the inside of the top of the flue. And one at the bottom. Then you push the wire loop up to it, or down to it, on the outside of the flue.

The cable wires are $1.75 each.

http://www.titaniumgoat.com/pipe-parts.html

Last edited:

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
2873844ced8c9c140241ae50842e1383.jpg

That slack in the pipe there, might look bad, but its not. If you put a few burns through it the creosote, will be a perfectly straight line of black soot, when you unroll it.
It is sealed tight.

Also best to roll it tightly around a long thin brookstick handle or something similiar so it goes tighter, but thats not bad as it it.

They all look like that. You just need to fiddle with it a bit so youre comfortable where the cable rings should go

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE