Open invitation arctic meet 2017

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Thanks mate.

Hey great news. Just called Lufthansa, about the baggage. We have got an economy class ticket. Which means that we are allowed to take 1 bag at 23kg, measuring 158cm, thats heightxwidthxlength, which is basically the british army deployment bag with a couple of straps around it.

And 1 8kg bag, hand luggage.

However, I also asked about ski luggage, and told them I have a 6 foot long toboggan bag, but I wont be taking skis in it, just snowshoes, clothes, equipment etc.

They told me that because all skis and snowboards are different sizes, theres not really a specifiication on height, width or length. But it also has to be 23kg max.

And the best part? Its free! both ways, even though we are changing at frankfurt to fly with another airline SAS to stockholm, its lufthansa who have the responsibility of our baggage for the entire trip, and return flight.

So, I'd have a look at ski bags at sportsdirect etc, and fill it with whatever you like, ring lufthansa with your ticket number beginning 22.

[That number is on your eticket you were emailed from expedia, and they will make a note that you are bringing a ski bag, and send you an email confirming it.]

Pretty good huh? And its completely free!

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
OK, the company that couldn't help has sent some names of companies that might be able to

"Hello!

In Gällivare we have a bus company called Falcks. You can reach them om +4697024800.
In Jokkmokk we have a company called S Larssons Buss who you can reach on +4697110480.
in Kiruna there is a company called Hörvalls Trafik, +4698081311.

Try and see if they can help you.

Regards

Länstrafikens customer service"

I've emailed 2 of them with our trip details, the 3rd based in Jokkmokk I haven't, I thought it may be too out of the way, thoughts ?

EDIT: just had an email from Stora Sjöfallet, still talking to them so not a lot to tell at the moment :)

Last edited:

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
Hi gents. WIFI has been down for a bit. When it came back on both good and bad news. My snow mobile boots turned up, lets hope they fit. Good news. Bad news i have a letter from customs wanting £145 to send my parcel on....WT#$$@&*^/#@@!#$/^^.....😲😲😲😲😲😲

On a lighter note. Looks like my tobogan is here i just need to pay for the customs before they send it back. Could be touch and go though if i can sort it in time.

Still no sign of my stove which is what im now worried about as it cost a fortune as it is. Customs chareges on top....😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
Ahhh be reet Al mate. Worst case i will just use a bin bag...👍👍👍👍👌👌👌👌

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
d32dd9c8a1d58d6d06e48af59a789508.jpg

Snow mobile boots...😆😆😆👍👍👍👍

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Nice Boots man! You need a credit card. Make sure they dont slip by. Are you gonna be able to cover the customs charges before they send them back?

This is the number for Lufthansa if anyone wants to check the bagagge allowance: 00443719459747 [I still cant quite believe what he told me, even though I asked him three times, Im gonna ring back today and double check]

Chris, I bought this bolster hammer off ebay

p.jpg

Which is 18" long, by 2 1/4" wide blade. The handle sems too long so Ill grind it down, to a point.

I need some steel tube, Will mild steel be good enough? Or should I get stainless pipe? How many mm thick do you reckon?
As for the internal diameter, Im thinking it needs to 7cm at least?

I'll have to check out whats in the garage or go to a scrapyard. [Same thing really :lmao:]

Then we should end up with something like this:

[video=youtube;NUW-5NtXoso]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUW-5NtXoso[/video]

We'll use a gimlet or an awl to put a hole in the branch when we are out there.\ [Im not melting snowballs when we are next to a lake!]

Boots update:

Another pair of rubber overboots should arrive today. :togo: I thinkIve figured out what the issue is there. Ive got the felt liners from the N1B's where as Pete has got the [hard to find] double felt liners, so probably 2 0r 3 times as thick as mine, so they give the structure of a boot. A bit like the russian valenki boots, which they just wear in the snow without any covering.

Wish Id figured that about four pairs of rubber over boots back. I might be better putting the woolen felt inners from my sorel caribou pac boots inside the rubber overboots. [But they are at Ash's house]

Last edited:

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
That bolster looks the job, mild steel should do it but stainless if you prefer, 3mm wall and 7cm diameter sounds good, well done mate :) by the way, you got mail and a ( won't mention it here yet ) Plan B ;)

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Ok, plan B mate.

Funny you should mention that, I have considered it as a back up, and looked into, but didnt want to take peoples attention away from the prize! Sarek. It just confuses things.

In the end though, even if we could not get a lift from Tomas, from the mountain centre, Gregers contact, or anyone else, or if it proved ridiculosly expensive, to get a taxi from gallivare, or Porjus to Vietas, [6 of us in a taxi, with 200 litres of gear each doesnt sound plausible to me.]

Plan B would be;

Get on a bus, and head north on the E10 From Kiruna. They do have a decent size lake which is only two hours north from Kiruna, called Tornetrask, 50 or 60km long. And the E10 runs alongside it.

Although I would still want to attend the market. Which means a long journey back down to Jokkmokk.

The Owner of karesuando lives in Riksgränsen, at the top of the lake, Tornetrask, the Norwegian border is 50 km north of Narvik- where theyre are really large mountains, hardly any under 1500m. Or so he tells me. I've been emailing him back and forth about a knife.

Abisko national park is up there, and so is the start of the kings trail, [or the kingsledden trail] and the end is near Vietas funnily enough!
Wouldnt want to do that in winter!

PLAN B MAP

Last edited:

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
Yep, never fails to have a back up plan :) Re: taxi costs, had one price back, from Gallivare to Stora 1 way, 1 driver 4 passengers, £650 that just isn't an option :( still waiting for other emails :)

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
I have the boots dave. My mate sent that pic for me. Its the tobogan that might get sent back...😨😨😨😨😨

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
Ref the ice chissel i would just take it as is. Just maybe cut the handle down a bit and if you can be bothered thin it down with the grinder and cut some notches. Then just lash it to a suitable branch when we get out there dude. Saves on space and weight.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Im not sure if a lashing would hold up? Considering the force we'll be giving it, but youre the knifemaker......

I might hav a bit of steel tube in the garage on an old emerson motor. I might cut a couple of inches of that, just in case we need it.

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
A question, I was in the surplus store yesterday looking around and saw what was described as British Army Snow Cover, the fabric was more like silk than Tyvek (White) nothing on the clothing label to say what it was either, it came as a trousers and button up smock, anyone tell me a) what it is made of and b) is it wind proof, I should have taken a picture ?

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
Should be wind proof. Its the new version of Tyvek i think. We call them silks??? Could even be silk i never used them though so maybe nylon type silk rip off???

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
Im not sure if a lashing would hold up? Considering the force we'll be giving it, but youre the knifemaker......

I might hav a bit of steel tube in the garage on an old emerson motor. I might cut a couple of inches of that, just in case we need it.
You would need to lash hell out of it but as long as the wood held up and not used as a pry bar style it should be good mate.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE