On finding a dentist..

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
When I am at home I use the local health clinics, who are sympathetic to my quirks. (I am not `quite` scared of dentists but I do have a great dislike of metal things in my mouth...)

They told me that my GP (I am registered with a GP down here...I mean, when they can find my records which is not always) can reffer me to one.

Aforesaid GP is baffled.

So, Im pretty much on my own. Logically I should be looking for an NHS one, but these days since Im not on benefits even those I have to pay.

Should I be going private and what should I look for?

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
You have to get on a NHS waiting list and they will assign you - alternatively ring round and see if anyone has free placements. Private will cost you a ton more than NHS.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
You have to get on a NHS waiting list and they will assign you - alternatively ring round and see if anyone has free placements. Private will cost you a ton more than NHS.

Has it gone up that much? It was cheap when I was there (mind you that was over 37 years ago)

cave_dweller

Nomad
Apr 9, 2010
Vale of Glamorgan
Has it gone up that much? It was cheap when I was there (mind you that was over 37 years ago)

Not a simple question. Cheap is relative (especially compared to the US). My wife had to find £3k recently for an implant replacement. On the other hand, a check up and descale can be had privately for less than £50 (if you're lucky and live in the right region!).

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales

Private dentistry in the UK is one of the few things I know that's more costly than Gear Acquisition Syndrome! (and none of the fun)

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Not a simple question. Cheap is relative (especially compared to the US). My wife had to find £3k recently for an implant replacement. On the other hand, a check up and descale can be had privately for less than £50 (if you're lucky and live in the right region!).

That sounds expensive expensive for here (Florida; not sure in other states) About the same price in Pounds as would be in dollars here. Of course here my insurance covers all of the routine (descaling & fluorination treratment 3 x year, x-rays and exam 1 x year) and 80% of most restorative (fillings) and 50% of major work (implants, crowns, etc.)

I remembered it being cheaper there back in the day. Guess things have changed.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
£48 for a half hour with the hygienist the other day. (I am talking Dentistry here.) But now downgraded to annual appointments with her. A pound a week?

Yep, that's not bad at all; just don't get into crowns, bridges or any of the big stuff :)

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Re the OP: As has been stated, ask for recommendations from people you know; try to determine if the dentist's philosophy matches yours. I.E. Doy you want to keep your natural teeth for life and maintain then at their best, or are you willing to go the cheaper route? Match that to your budget.

All easier said than done. What I want and what I can afford don't always match.

Alreetmiowdmuka

Apr 24, 2013
Bolton
Funny you should post this now as it's very relevant too me right now.i'm at the start of £7500 worth of private dental work.cut a very,,very long story short I wouldn't be in the situation I'm in now if I had been a private patient all those years ago.if your past dental history's one which you only need the odd filling every few years then search for the nhs dentist.if your like me and you need that extra level of care then go private it'll be money well spent

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Funny you should post this now as it's very relevant too me right now.i'm at the start of £7500 worth of private dental work.cut a very,,very long story short I wouldn't be in the situation I'm in now if I had been a private patient all those years ago.if your past dental history's one which you only need the odd filling every few years then search for the nhs dentist.if your like me and you need that extra level of care then go private it'll be money well spent

That's about my situation too. Cheapest care they could get away with while in the Air Force set me up for much more expensive care now.

Alreetmiowdmuka

Apr 24, 2013
Bolton
That's about my situation too. Cheapest care they could get away with while in the Air Force set me up for much more expensive care now.

Yep same here too. i'm not totally bashing the. Nhs for the most part they've been excellent.i had tendon surgery last year n a broken ankle a few years before that.they gave me excellent care n attention on both counts.my dental care on the other hand has been a balls up from start too Finnish

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Exactly. They both have budgets they have to work within. They do the best they can with what they have.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Thanks Boatman, that looks handy. A bit like having yor hair cut by a college student, you `know` you will get a good job, or else they will be in trouble, eh?

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Thanks Boatman, that looks handy. A bit like having yor hair cut by a college student, you `know` you will get a good job, or else they will be in trouble, eh?

Ever been to "Supercuts?" New barbers thatcan't get hired anywhere else. Students are kinda like that.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE