old style steel for striking flint

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
i want to make a metal steel (as in flint n steel).
i've used a couple of friends ones and really want one of my own now!

what i need to know is:

what sort of metal do i need ie (high/low carbon)
can i make it at home, or do i really need a forge?

cheers

Snufkin

Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
I asked about making strikers over on paleoplanet. The folks there said to use carbon steel and heat to non magnetic and quench it, no need to temper it. You could probably do it with a barby and a hairdryer at home. Next time I fire up my forge I'll do some scraps of 01 tool steel and if they work I'll hand them out at the next meet up.
Alternatively, you could use a piece of an old file. Clamp it in a vice to the required length and hit it with a hammer, should snap easily.

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
after Snufkin gave me a demo, then showed me how to use it i've really wanted one but not known how to go about making one!
cheers for the advice! :D

wayland, like the web site! i can see you've gone to alot of trouble to bring history back to life!

Snufkin mabey i can swap you a steel, for some bow drill bits, or something? :You_Rock_

Snufkin

Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
RAPPLEBY2000 said:
Snufkin mabey i can swap you a steel, for some bow drill bits, or something? :You_Rock_
I'm always up for a trade. I could go for a bit of poplar and hazel. You bow drill kit was a lot better than mine :) .

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE