Old school army right angle torch

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mike8472

Jul 28, 2009
west yorkshire
I was just clearing out my old camping stuff from the loft and I reliving memories of camping trips I had when I was a young lad. One of these was of the old fashioned Army issue right angle torch, I used to love mine.

I remember them being great little torches, and I have just been looking on the internet and it appears that a few people still make them.

I fancy getting a mini one :- I have found BCB make a 2 AA incandesent one and Web-tex make an LED version

My question is are they still any good, or would I be wasting my money?????

I am admittedly abit of a kit junky and I have lots of very good mini led flashlights such as Fenix and surefire but the sentimental side of me craves one.

GST138

Tenderfoot
Feb 21, 2007
North Yorks
Not got one but have other Fenix lights, if you have the cash I would go for the new MC10, andle light but with more features.

Gary

Mike8472

Jul 28, 2009
west yorkshire
I don't like the look of the fenix mc10 or the pentagon; I think they look ugly.
There is something about the old school lights that is much more appealing to me and I think they're more asthetically pleasing!

Maybe its just my sentimental side?

Dec 16, 2007
The web tex one aint bad has the white, red, green and blue lights gave mine to my daughter for when she is away with the army cadets does the trick for the money.

Rabbitsmacker

Settler
Nov 23, 2008
Kings Lynn
talking of old classics, i have 2 BCB torches with built in green and red sliding lenses. they are the old style german commando type? not sure, but they take a big flattish battery about twice the size of an small matchbox. got a belt loop on the back and two tabs coming off that with button holes on them to fasten them to a parka. made of metal too! heavy but very tactile. have seen a covert version that has a black out lense on it as well! all very clandestine and groovy basil!

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
when i first started camping/survival, it was a toss up between the right angle torch (D-cell) and the maglite, though i remember using a 2x c cell front bike light, for ages.

I have a US issue right angle torch(was given to me by a USAF chap, it's great a torch you can "field strip":lmao: (take apart like a gun)!

main problem with it is the weight of the batteries...and spare batteries:( and it is bulky for the amount of light it gives.

a Maglite (and spare batteries) would probably fit inside the right angle torch!

technology has moved on in a big way!

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
Ever since I started using LED torches, I wouldn't go back to incandescent bulbs if you paid me.
I get better light levels, longer lasting batteries, and the bulbs don't blow. plus they're generally lighter for the amount of projected light.
Nostalgia is all very well, but I'll stick to my modern stuff thanks.

Mike8472

Jul 28, 2009
west yorkshire
you can go back! I've found an led upgrade for any incandesant torch made by terralux.
i got one for my aa right angle torch. it gives out about 80lumens.

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
For a good old reminiscent lamp, try this, used with a bit of webbing, its a 'right angle' lamp!

LGIM0631.jpg

johnbaz

Nomad
Mar 1, 2009
Sheffield, england.
www.flickr.com
I have an old army torch but not the ninety degree type...

I bought this a few years ago from a chap that was a military policeman, he said he used it to good effect when dealing with drunk and argumentative squaddies (he reckoned that it was better than his baton for 'calming' them down:rolleyes: )

miltorch1.jpg

miltorch2.jpg

miltorch3.jpg

Unfortunately i was painting a motorcycle part with a red aerosol in my garage and didn't notice that the torch was behind it:eek::eek:...

John:)

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
^^^ is that an intrinsically safe torch? Just wondering cos of the GEC markings etc, maybe it was to be used underground or in a mine, or explosive environment like an Arms factory maybe?

Yes, its an intrinsically safe torch, subjected to repeated field tests involving alcohol, aggression and numerous squaddies!

The GEC markings denote that in such tests the torch performed flawlessly in its capability to Give 'Em Concussion!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE