Old canvas Tat !!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ferret75

Life Member
Sep 7, 2014
Derbyshire
LMAO! Ohhh Dewi mate, now you've definitely started something regrettable!! New Thread - 'BCUK fashion disasters' on its way I feel!

Anyway back to the subject line...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

RonW

Native
Nov 29, 2010
Dalarna Sweden
Current stuff is better.... Based on what? facts, figures, examples.... or is your opinion enough?
That vintage stuff produced by the millions? Tens of thousands maybe, yes. The only thing that got millions produce of was ammunition and yes, that was a use once-item. yet there was/is plenty of stuff around that got used by "pops" or "grandpa" that saw use afterwards. And not needed?? I really doubt that and plenty of veteran would disagree with you on that, including those from conflicts after ww2. And military training or service was in no way any easier or less demanding than it is today. On the contrary I should think.
On the note of modern military gear; I was issued a Berghaus Vulcan II, while in training and we were told to be careful with it, since the manufacturer did not want to guarantee the quality under the circumstances we were intending to use it (airmobile brigade). And I dare you to find me one staff sergeant that will not bust your balls, when you tell him you do not need to take care of gear, because "it was designed to be thrown away".

And yes, I might be prejudiced, but at least I can back that up with examples, facts and all...
I am still waiting for yours...
And yes, I wear denims, leather boots/shoes, wool sweaters and the like. No plastic-fantastic for me, thank you very much.

Here's an image of Amundsen on location. His gear does not look "European" or even Norwegian to me, does it?
Sorry, bit big, but it brings out the details quite nicely.
Amundsen-in-ice.jpg

brambles

Settler
Apr 26, 2012
Aberdeenshire
Current stuff is better.... Based on what? facts, figures, examples.... or is your opinion enough?
That vintage stuff produced by the millions? Tens of thousands maybe, yes. The only thing that got millions produce of was ammunition and yes, that was a use once-item. yet there was/is plenty of stuff around that got used by "pops" or "grandpa" that saw use afterwards. And not needed?? I really doubt that and plenty of veteran would disagree with you on that, including those from conflicts after ww2.

This is the only part I can be bothered responding to, as you clearly are so entrenched in your prejudices there is little point in discussing with you.

In World War 2 , the Western Allies alone had approximately 20 million men in uniform. And you think that they had to share a few tens of thousands of sets of equipment. Says it all really. World War 2 equipment is still in storage with the UK government btw.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
RonW and brambles, you both have your thoughts about kit, it is unlikely you will agree.

You have put your cases to the forum readers it would be best if you both back away now in case anyone else has anything new to add.

Thanks. :)

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I suspect that most explorers had to use whatever was to hand.

Pretty true, though there were different schools of thought throughout the history of exploration. Like of the "race" between Scott & Amundsen to the pole where one used traditional methods and the other went for modern (for the time) methods and equipment.
It's just a case of finding what works for you and makes you happy. Most of us do it as a pastime and shouldn't get so intolerant about what others do or don't do.
I'm lucky in that I've pursued lots of different outdoor hobbies, had the chance to try and trial lots of outdoor kit and have found out through years of play what works for me... Just in time to be so kaput that I don't get to do half of it anymore. :rolleyes:
Would just say, try things, try kit, speak to folk and accept them and have fun. It'd be boreing if we were all the same and uniformity as a species is a pretty silly survival technique.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Did you actually spend some time in Subic dewi ?

I participated in some jungle survival skills stuff there, nothing very serious, but thoroughly enjoyed it all.

No Rory... it was a bluff... although I have a picture of it, so it did in fact happen... but not really... but the piccy proves it did, so there! :p

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Did I spend some time there ?? You don't know the half of it !!
Go to Rosie's bar !! I'm On the wall !!

Oh tell me about it... I went to Harry's Bar in Lanzarote... I was on the walls, the bar, the tables and eventually the floor. Those tequila sunrises were awesome!

What has that got to do with a bushcraft certificate though?? :confused:

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Did I spend some time there ?? You don't know the half of it !!

Half? We don't know any of it ... Perhaps try showing us stuff you've done?

Go to Rosie's bar !! I'm On the wall !!

Hmm ... you may well be but a) What for? b) Is this a game of "Where's Wally/Waldo?"?* c) it's a bit too easy to locate a popular bar on the internet and claim that you are in a picture on the wall and/or are well known there*.

* We don't actually know who you are let alone what you look like. Isn't saying "I'm on the wall !!" completely pointless?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE