Oh yes he's only gone and done it!!!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Pignut

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
Last night whilst messing around at explorer scouts (The kids where behaving brilliantly of course) I thought I would have a(nother) go at bow drilling!

And here is the result (This was my first successful attempt so I am no expert)

The drill and hearth are of hazel, the top block is of box. and the bow was sycamore

Drill slowly at first to build a dust pile

000_0651.jpg

As the smoke starts to increase, Drill fast with moderate pressure untill it feels as though your arm is fallling off, and the smoke seems to cling and swirl around the drill, it also goes a thick yellow color

000_0652.jpg

Once you can not drill anymore remove the drill and bow trying not to disturbe the dust pile

At this point there seems to be no hurry!

Gently fan (with your hand or hat) your lightly smoking pile of dust, this can take a while, if it is going to catch the smoke will keep coming from the pile, if the smoke stops you have lost it!!

000_0655.jpg

And hey presto from the bottom of the pile your glowing coal will apear

000_0658.jpg

The first pile of embers i produced was easily transferd to a King Alfred's cake fungi (By rolling it on with the tip of a knife), from this point I know I can make fire. The second coal (Pictured) was left to smoulder to see how long it would burn (2.5 mins)

Oh and I made a 3rd this morning just because I can! :lmao:

Boy oh boy when you read that it puts a smile on your face for a day or two, it truly does!

:You_Rock_ Thanks to Martin, Featherman,Trevody and Kata for the instruction and pics :You_Rock_

Pignut

Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
Buckshot said:
You did well there Pignut, hazel on hazel isn't an easy combination !

what would you recomend?

I like the hazel drill, what harth board would you suggest?

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Well done mate, I bet it was hard work but well worth it :You_Rock_

A suggestion for the ember, put something under the hearth to catch it, it's a lot easier to carry it to your tinder then and it keeps it off of what could be a damp surface.

Congratulatins.....You made fire :D

Pignut

Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
Tony said:
Well done mate, I bet it was hard work but well worth it :You_Rock_

A suggestion for the ember, put something under the hearth to catch it, it's a lot easier to carry it to your tinder then and it keeps it off of what could be a damp surface.

Congratulatins.....You made fire :D

Thanks tony! It was, but is now acctually not that bad going, I have since found as long as the end of the drill is cut flat (The rounded burnt surface removed) after each go I can get an ember in less then a 60 seconds

And yes an ember pan for outside would be good, and would have saved burning the Scout HQ floor!

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
Well done mate,theres something so satisfying when you finally achieve an ember,its like your eyes have been opened for the first time and there is a connection with the past and our ancestors. :35:

Pignut

Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
stuart f said:
Well done mate,theres something so satisfying when you finally achieve an ember,its like your eyes have been opened for the first time and there is a connection with the past and our ancestors. :35:

Very True, the more i learn about "Bushcraft" the more spiritual it seems to become, that is a very hard subject to put into words!!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE