Offensive Weapons Act 2019: surrender and compensation scheme. December 2020 - March 2021

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

WittyUsername

Forager
Oct 21, 2020
Kent
Looks like I’m in the clear, all of mine are pretty clearly small bushcraft/survival knives. No curved swords or shuriken here.

Blowpipes was a surprise addition.

Reactions: Minotaur

Wildgoose

May 15, 2012
Middlesex
I still cant tell the difference between throwing stars and throwing knives?

Hands up who has throwing knives here??
In theory any knife can be thrown.
Banning dedicated throwers would probably serve little point as you could still own a flat profile perfectly balanced utility knife.
throwing stars are designed as weapons, as far as I know they have no other purpose hence are easier to ban.

I have however never read a report of throwing stars being used in crime.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Tengu,
While my earlier reply was slightly humorous, my question about what you meant was legitimate, and you have not answered. It would have been helpful of you to have clarified what you mean, what is it that you do not understand?

If you have difficulty telling the difference in appearance and use, use Youtube and watch videos of people throwing both until the difference becomes apparent. That will be better than any words written here.

If you don't understand why stars were banned and knives not, explanations have already been given, but unless you can clarify why the answers given do not give you what you want, you are unlikely to get better answers.

Chris

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Mod Hat again
Moved some posts to their own thread, here:

Past threads that discussed the pre-existing legislation, good reason for carry and legalities of carrying knives for bushcraft sometimes grew to monster proportions. The subject is separate from the new Offensive Weapon legislation so I have given it its own thread.

Thanks

Chris

henchy3rd

Settler
Apr 16, 2012
Derby
Sorry Stew, that would be my fault.
I lit the blue touch paper on a resident American by using shootings as an example of how different the US and the UK are.
Please don’t on’t take this the wrong way,I’m not wanting to disrespect the Americans.. their ethos on weapons & bushcraft is completely out of character & different to the uk.
They have their own laws & bushcraft forums..so why not stick to their own?
I know we are all like minded souls for the great outdoors.
So I’m Just sticking my neck out for some answers & insight.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I'm sorry hench3rd but I enjoy the diverse input we get from over the pond as much as the European, Scandinavian and other worldly experience. I just stop my involvement (usually) when the discussion gets to 'the best knife design', comparisons of knife law, and differences in gun law.

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
Please don’t on’t take this the wrong way,I’m not wanting to disrespect the Americans.. their ethos on weapons & bushcraft is completely out of character & different to the uk.
And to add to what Brock has said I'd also suggest that there are more similarities than differences.

Even when it comes to firearms, US can be more stick than the UK.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I think there maybe a mid way point here.

I do enjoy contributions from members elsewhere globally - I enjoy seeing different techniques , equipment and contributions from across the globe. Its nice to have varied insight into the Bushcraft we all share in various environments.

But this Forum does say "Bushcraft UK" , Not just " Bushcraft "...

The reason I'm mentioning it is because it seems a lot of the time the threads seem to get derailed and hijacked and the start of political point scoring between countries and their various political/legalisation systems comparing one country to another.

So I think its fair enough to ask members from foreign lands to respect its a UK based forum and so most of what is discussed here is with an eye to the UK lands AND LAWS that govern us.

Contribute as much as you like but respect that trying to enforce a possible opinion that has grown and is the experience of You living in YOUR country may at best be tolerated here but possibly many of us will fail to connect with.

henchy3rd

Settler
Apr 16, 2012
Derby

I do enjoy contributions from members elsewhere globally - I enjoy seeing different techniques , equipment and contributions from across the globe. Its nice to have varied insight into the Bushcraft we all share in various environments.

The reason I'm mentioning it is because it seems a lot of the time the threads seem to get derailed and hijacked and the start of political point scoring between countries and their various political/legalisation systems comparing one country to another.

So I think its fair enough to ask members from foreign lands to respect its a UK based forum and so most of what is discussed here is with an eye to the UK lands AND LAWS that govern us.

Contribute as much as you like but respect that trying to enforce a possible opinion that has grown and is the experience of You living in YOUR country may at best be tolerated here but possibly many of us will fail to connect with.
Thank you Tee Dee,
I also welcome other worlds of bushcraft users as they enrich our lives.
You hit the nail on the head there in respect to the uk.
Thank you.

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
And to add to what Brock has said I'd also suggest that there are more similarities than differences.
Actually the differences are massive, the US 2nd Amendment is based on the English right to bare arms at the time or slightly before. A citizen in the US has guaranteed rights and in the UK we do not. As proved by the law we are debating, in the UK do not like Zombie knives ban them. An American can carry an item for self defense however in the UK you should never say that because it a crime. The very act of naming an item as to be used for self defense makes it an offensive weapon under UK law.
The list is really weird because it seems to mention some of the items which are banned however not others. Does that mean the discovery side of the law only applies to them or everything on the actual list?

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
They have their own laws & bushcraft forums..so why not stick to their own?
I know we are all like minded souls for the great outdoors.
So I’m Just sticking my neck out for some answers & insight.
Primarily because I like you lot. Also because I,lived there for 4 years while on active duty (I even had a shotgun license back then):When I joined the forum much of the discussion was about adventures y’all had while traveling to North America or Australia.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida

Partly true. But when it shifts to the subject of “rights” then it has nothing to do with the law or social customs in any nation. Rights, by there very nature are inherent. They aren’t granted by any nation and attempts to restrict rights are morally wrong. Make no mistake, we have enough of that on both sides of the Atlantic.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Partly true. But when it shifts to the subject of “rights” then it has nothing to do with the law or social customs in any nation. Rights, by there very nature are inherent. They aren’t granted by any nation and attempts to restrict rights are morally wrong. Make no mistake, we have enough of that on both sides of the Atlantic.

Partly true - Opinion.

So please tell me what Rights you see are Inherently free from restriction of nation and Code of Law?

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
Actually the differences are massive, the US 2nd Amendment is based on the English right to bare arms at the time or slightly before. A citizen in the US has guaranteed rights and in the UK we do not. As proved by the law we are debating, in the UK do not like Zombie knives ban them. An American can carry an item for self defense however in the UK you should never say that because it a crime. The very act of naming an item as to be used for self defense makes it an offensive weapon under UK law.
Well, I hope most people in the US, like the UK, will realise a zombie knife is not anything to do with bushcraft. I'd rather hear from someone in the US talking about how they use their knives as tools rather than see someone showing off their huge knife in the UK that'll never get used.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE