Now THAT'S a steak

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Folks who are watching this thread may also enjoy this video...

[video=vimeo;32367993]http://vimeo.com/32367993[/video]

If the animations or animal butchery are not for you jump forward to 16:20 and 21:00 and enjoy.

:)

An excellent video! He's a really switched-on guy, very personable and able to communicate clearly and well and he's so right in what he says. We had the pigman at the house right up until I started work and I could taste the meat we used to get as I was watching..................Great stuff :)

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I used to get Welsh black from a butcher in Glyn Ceiriog but he's not there any more sadly. I miss that. We are lucky to have two very very good butchers within 30 minutes drive and the one in Marlborough we combine with a walk on the downs. We have made the decision to eat better meat, but less often.

I can't really afford to eat much beef these days as I try to run my own small artisan business, so we eat venison a lot. On the upside, we have a fly fisherman who's wife won't eat trout as a friend and neighbour and his son is a keeper, so pheasants are soon to be back on the menu.

It's a tough life.

That sounds just the way it should be Rich. When we eat beef, whether roast or steak, it's very occasionally and the meat is carefully sourced. I don't mind spending for something with flavour that I don't have to chew or stew too hard.

We have almost the whole of the South Downs set aside for pheasant shooting. As unfortunate as it is for the poor dizzy things, it brings economic wealth, and a source of cheap good tasting meat. On the whole it's fairly organic in a good season too, if there are plenty of seeds and berries about.

I did have a guy that would sell me a whole lamb, butchered, for £50. Reared by himself, the meat was superb. Not seen him in a while though. And I do miss the odd haunch of venison, though I daresay I could find some easy enough.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I do miss the odd haunch of venison, though I daresay I could find some easy enough.

Easy as anything on the Downs - they are lousy with Roe Deer. All the sill knee jerk game legislation has made it very hard for people to sell venison in a small way. But if you find the right man.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Easy as anything on the Downs - they are lousy with Roe Deer. All the sill knee jerk game legislation has made it very hard for people to sell venison in a small way. But if you find the right man.

As if I needed an opportunity to expand my visitations to local pubs :D

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
In all this discussion of quality meat, let's not forget good poultry too. I recently paid £20 for a chicken from my local farmer's market, but it was huge, organic, had a 'food miles' best measured in yards rather than miles, and was absolutely gorgeous. Rich, gamey meat, with loads of flavour. It made multiple meals, even after we did it as a roast and absolutely gorged on it.

Roast chicken is a rare treat for us now, but a special day when we have it.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I think chicken is a vastly under rated meat. Mainly because people have become used to "two for a fiver" intensively reared birds. The difference when you taste a properly slow reared, mixed died (actually fed on greens), well exercised bird is a revealation. So much so that we plan to raise our own next year. Or at least we will if I can stop preserving for five minutes and get on with building coops!

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex

I'll raise your Bowman. The Duke of Cumberland at Henley, just north of Midhurst towards Fernhurst. This is how your roast beef arrives, along with hot plates, veg, and gravy that stick to the spuds. You can sit in there all afternoon picking at it, it's just lovely. I suspect the pic is blurry because even the camera got misty eyed :)

Same place I met the lamb farmer, and some very secretive GPS armed mushroom gatherers. A lovely spot with several trout ponds in the garden where you can pick your fish.

imagejpg1_zps7b8ee1f6.jpg

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I started this post in a slightly throw away mood. I have been delighted how many other people feel similarly about food to the way we do. It restores my faith in the world.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex

Muntjac all over in the more heavily forested, tucked back areas, plus Sika, and I've seen several boar too. Now getting a boar would be lovely.

I agree with you, sourcing the right food is both satisfying and enjoyable. I'd rather eat well, spend some money if I have to, than come away from the supermarket with 4 chicken breasts for £3 that are like eating compressed sawdust whilst nodding vaguely at flavour. I find it positive that many here agree.

The cheaper products do have a place in my life, I can't afford to source all my protein and veg in the way described. A chicken stew or beef casserole will work with cheaper meats, but I try to make my purchases responsible, both for the seller and the animal welfare.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I think chicken is a vastly under rated meat. Mainly because people have become used to "two for a fiver" intensively reared birds. The difference when you taste a properly slow reared, mixed died (actually fed on greens), well exercised bird is a revealation. So much so that we plan to raise our own next year. Or at least we will if I can stop preserving for five minutes and get on with building coops!

Oh you have a terrible dilemma.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Thanks for the link, That's another one added to the UK folder.

You won't regret it, postage is very cheap for a decent sized order, it all comes in a polystyrene box with chilled packing. I'm lucky enough to be able to shop in person, but I use the delivery service for my parents.

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Wonderful taste, very lean and well muscled - needs to be properly dry hung for at least three weeks, but it has an inspired taste. Normally we go for these for our beef, but we also like Lincolnshire Reds (our local breed) and of course the longhorns.

COWS_01.jpg
Those are fine-looking beasts.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
That's a lovely looking chunk of meat Red, just lightly blued, served with new tatties with butter and pepper, a little red onion marmalade and some green beans, maybe a side of lightly done foraged mushrooms! Nom nom as they say. I always think it's criminal when folk cook the bejesus out of a piece of meat but to each their own.
I do like meat and don't often get it, so it remains a treat. Like most of the others here, I'd rather buy good meat in smaller quantities less often than cheap soulfully nasty stuff.
At one point I didn't buy meat at all, all the meat and fish was shot/caught by me and had a great life living totally free till it was killed quickly and with respect by me.
Society has gotten too used to meat at every meal. It was a treat for us growing up and every scrap was used. So what was left went into soups, stovies and on posh nights risottos. One of my neighbors commented on how empty my bins always are. But most of my veg comes from a wee shop where she just fills my bag. Meat is bought in little packages and I generally don't buy junk food - though we all have our guilty secrets!
So great thread and nice to see others are following suit with you.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE