Now THAT'S a steak

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
Oh dear, just spent a LOT of money on that butchers site... and my wife walked in and tutted. Will have to wait until after payday.

Good idea, I was told, but after we have some money.

Fair point I suppose.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
.....You are in error on the feedlot issue. The primary mission of the feedlot is there to make the cows heavier for market. That is why they are fed a diet of grain and silage for about 200 days. The removal of the grass fed taste is a by product of the feedlot, and is why Americans are not used to the grass fed taste because they have been doing that for so long.

A cow when ready for the feedlot is about 650 pounds or more. At the feedlot the cow can experience as much as a 60% weight gain.//.

I've never put one into a feedlot for more than 3 to 6 weeks. Nor have I known anybody else to do so. You may or may not be right, but it's certainly contradictory to everybody I've known and to what was taught in Ag class.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
...No, the American Brahman was first. The Santa Gertrudis was recognized as a breed in 1940. The American Brahman as a breed was firmly established by the 1920's, but breeding began in the 19th Century....

In fact, the official history of the Santa Gertrudis given by King Ranch, who developed the breed, was that they started in 1918 by breeding Brahman bulls with Beef Shorthorn cows.....QUOTE]

It depends on just who you listen too. Most associations still don't recognize Brahmas as an American breed at all (but yeah, some do) Wiki is the most useless as they list both as the first American breed (go figure) Ag class still teaches the Santa Gertrudis as the first.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
.....I do agree with you that the higher price of Angus beef is a product of marketing. Angus are about 60% of the American beef herd, and are the most common beef cattle in the USA.

I've never looked up the numbers but this sounds right. To be honest, I rarely see anything but Angus or Hereford on a real beef farm or ranch. Occassionally on a specialty farm I'll see something else but those are usually for breeding stock rather than for the slaughterhouses.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Thats a rump steak - cut in front of my eyes :).....

I finally got round to looking that up to translate the cut. Nice steak indeed. Round (Rump) steak is rarely cut very thick over here. In the South it's usually (though not always) cut thin, pounded thinner with a meat hammer, floured and fried. Sometimes called Chicken fried Steak. Chuck steak is also used for this, as is venison.

Last edited:

bigbear

May 1, 2008
Yorkshire
Just to echo the points about a good butcher for those of us who buy meat from shops. Our local farm shop is great and I have what I always wanted, a relationsh with my butcher (oo er matron!).
went in on thursday as we had someone coming to stay for the weekend, told a lad what I wanted, he went in back to find it and came out with Tony who looked at me, said "is this for you ?" And when I said yes. He knew exactly what I wanted and how I wanted it prepared, the result being four ribs of forerib from a locally bred and slaughtered anomal, it was excellent roast and will provide many more meals. Like Dougster, we decided long ago to eat less meat but good meat, and enjpy it all the more.
Long live the artisan, the local shop and the farm shop, down with the supermarkets !!

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I finally got round to looking that up to translate the cut. Nice steak indeed. Round (Rump) steak is rarely cut very thick over here. In the South it's usually (though not always) cut thin, pounded thinner with a meat hammer, floured and fried. Sometimes called Chicken fried Steak. Chuck steak is also used for this, as is venison.

If you served a steak with black bits on (floured or not) to my wife she would reach for her gun :)

That inch and a half thick steak took precisely 40 seconds to cook both sides and was done precisely to her taste.

I quite like a well done steak, but she finds "Blue" to be overdone!

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
If you served a steak with black bits on (floured or not) to my wife she would reach for her gun :)

That inch and a half thick steak took precisely 40 seconds to cook both sides and was done precisely to her taste.

I am very much of a like mind when it comes to good quality meat.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida

Sorry, I misread your first post. I thought you said an inch and a half. No, only a half inch would be pretty thin.

The black bits on the fried ones aren't always "black." Exact recipes vary from family to family and likewise, the degree of doneness. My family and most of the families in my immediate area (growing up) just seasoned and floured it before pan frying. Elsewhere around the South they used a heavier batter rather than a dry flour dredge.

With broiled steaks I also prefer Blood Rare, but I'll eat (and enjoy) it as far as Medium. Just so long as it isn't cooked dry.

My favorite cuts for a broiled steak in descending order:
1) Bone-in Ribeye
2) Porterhouse
3) Sirloin
4) Kansas City Strip

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Folks who are watching this thread may also enjoy this video...

[video=vimeo;32367993]http://vimeo.com/32367993[/video]

If the animations or animal butchery are not for you jump forward to 16:20 and 21:00 and enjoy.

:)

Alreetmiowdmuka

Apr 24, 2013
Bolton
Rump steak by British Red, on Flickr

Inch and a half thick, over a kilo in weight, longhorn beef from an multi award winning butcher

longhornsPicsArt_1394400676880.jpg

If you don't have a really GREAT butcher in your area, give these guys a try

http://www.meridianmeatsshop.co.uk/

They deliver very cheaply all over the country and the meat is amazing.

Here's one I demolished a bit back at a restaurant In ramsbottom.i didn't manage eat many of the chips ha
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411325573.598500.jpg
I

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Folks who are watching this thread may also enjoy this video...

[video=vimeo;32367993]http://vimeo.com/32367993[/video]

If the animations or animal butchery are not for you jump forward to 16:20 and 21:00 and enjoy.

:)

No video link showing for me?

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Sorry for that :(

Give them a ring (thats what I do). They will even discuss how you want your steak and chops cut :). You absolutely will not be disappointed I promise.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE