Now THAT'S a steak

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Nope, different breed - very old indeed. The Spanish longhorns are (to my mind) an inferior breed.

There are a few English longhorns in the US - but it is just a few.

It certainly looks better than the Spanish Longhorns (at least better than the ones I've seen here) More meat and a better fat ration than on the Spanish/Texas Longhorns.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida

Hereford.jpg

Hereford

Brahman.jpg

American Brahman

Hereford_bull_large.jpg

Angus.......

The top and bottom pix are both Herefords. The bottom is an ordinary Hereford whereas the top one is a "Polled" Hereford (Poled is the name for a breed that has been developed to not grow horns)

This is an Angus

All Angus in the US are poled (I don't know if any other variety exists outside the US)

mrostov

Nomad
Jan 2, 2006
Texas
Yes, I put in the wrong photo for the Angus, oops, been a long day. I pasted the wrong url into the little box, so I went back and corrected the mistake, thank you.

You are in error on the feedlot issue. The primary mission of the feedlot is there to make the cows heavier for market. That is why they are fed a diet of grain and silage for about 200 days. The removal of the grass fed taste is a by product of the feedlot, and is why Americans are not used to the grass fed taste because they have been doing that for so long.

A cow when ready for the feedlot is about 650 pounds or more. At the feedlot the cow can experience as much as a 60% weight gain.

The first completely American beef breed was/is the Santa Gertrudis.

No, the American Brahman was first. The Santa Gertrudis was recognized as a breed in 1940. The American Brahman as a breed was firmly established by the 1920's, but breeding began in the 19th Century.

In fact, the official history of the Santa Gertrudis given by King Ranch, who developed the breed, was that they started in 1918 by breeding Brahman bulls with Beef Shorthorn cows.

I do agree with you that the higher price of Angus beef is a product of marketing. Angus are about 60% of the American beef herd, and are the most common beef cattle in the USA.

Last edited:

juttle

Nomad
Feb 27, 2012
Devon
This all takes me back to my early days in butchery. A beautiful rump like that would have had just a little more 'marbling' to be classified as perfect.

The best cut for your stew? Shin, every time, long and slow cooked, it's by far the tastiest cut for a good stew!

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland

Can we have a picture of it after cooking? That is indeed, a serious steak. :)

We have beef over here, almost exclusively from the Hungarian Gray.

Ut3AEZw.jpg

No sheep though, except at easter for some reason. Pig and poultry are the main types of meat consumed. And for most that means buying it from a proper butcher, with half pigs hanging up in the window etc.

The Spars and Tescos of the world are making inroads but the small butchers are managing so far.

Last edited:

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
I used to get Welsh black from a butcher in Glyn Ceiriog but he's not there any more sadly. I miss that. We are lucky to have two very very good butchers within 30 minutes drive and the one in Marlborough we combine with a walk on the downs. We have made the decision to eat better meat, but less often.

I can't really afford to eat much beef these days as I try to run my own small artisan business, so we eat venison a lot. On the upside, we have a fly fisherman who's wife won't eat trout as a friend and neighbour and his son is a keeper, so pheasants are soon to be back on the menu.

It's a tough life.

northumbrian

Settler
Dec 25, 2009
newcastle upon tyne
This all takes me back to my early days in butchery. A beautiful rump like that would have had just a little more 'marbling' to be classified as perfect.

The best cut for your stew? Shin, every time, long and slow cooked, it's by far the tastiest cut for a good stew!

snap lol, see my earlier post.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
What a great chat - I'm loving those Hungarian Greys....wonderful looking beasts - good to see someone using the males as draught animals too - very thrifty, I like that.

I sadly cannot oblige with a done photo, its long gone (accompanied by the last of the fresh garden salad). Cooked for my darling wife the way she likes a steak (not quite Blue - a good vet could have revived it).

Those feedlots are, frankly, hideous. I have never seen such a thing here. It happens - but generally to poultry and pigs. Battery farming is being made illegal here, but even barn raised is vile when you see inside.

As Dougster says - better meat and less of it (or cheaper cuts of better raised meat like shin, shoulder etc,) is the way for us.

We were celebrating yesterday and BB loves a great steak - and she only gets a couple a year :)

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Now that Hungarian grey is an impressive beast.

They are huge, very passive though.

"...I don't suppose you ever see the horns of those for sale do you?

I have always wanted a huge set of horns to mount on the barn..."

Yes, although I have no idea for how much, I will look into it.

For various reasons the entire breed was almost lost by the nineteen fifties and one chap managed to bring it back by finding the most 'un-related' animals and breeding them.

They are tough, naturally resistant to many cattle diseases and can give birth without human assistance (something I'm told a few modern breeds struggle with).

From the middle ages onwards they would be walked to markets all over Europe which must have been quite a sight. :)

v3m06dE.png

Last edited:

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Incidentally, the Hereford is a fine breed in its own right, and grass fed, properly raised Hereford beef is wonderful. A local farm shop used to sell Hereford sirloins that we bought for special occasions because they were gorgeous. This year they have gone to devon reds, which are also good but different.

The best steak I ever had was in Yorkshire, from a herd owned by Prince Charles, sold at a scruffy-looking roadside pub. I can't remember the breed, but it was to die for.

mrostov

Nomad
Jan 2, 2006
Texas
Beef here has been seriously going up in price this year. A lot of the country is in a drought and the cattle herds are at their lowest levels since the 1950's.

That Hungarian cow looks almost too impressive to actually butcher for food. It looks like the breed isn't too far removed from an auroch.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...The best steak I ever had was in Yorkshire, from a herd owned by Prince Charles..."

The best steak I ever had was in Greece, Near Sparti (Sparta), I had been living of fish and salad for a couple of months though, but it was a T-bone at the time when you couldn't get them in the UK.

The worst steak was in France, I could have soled my boots with it.

"...It looks like the breed isn't too far removed from an auroch..."

It does look it doesn't it.

Now an Auroch, good eating on one of those I'd think, you'd need a big grill though (and a long pointy stick to hunt it with).

Last edited:

Dougster

Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
I would be hugely grateful - thank you very much. They would look amazing on a plaque on the barn wall to go with red deer antlers and Rams horns I already have :)

Got any roe buck? Anything with a decent looking head that isn't a good memory is in my freezer in the shed. I think there are 7 now. You can have one, but it'll defrost in the post and the rest is up to you.....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE