Not sure if I've bought rubbish or not...

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Fancied getting a 21" pointed bowsaw (one of the narrow ones for pruning). Was going to get a Bahco, but in a local shop found a WorldWide Hercules bowsaw for £7.99. It says it's made in Sweden and since Bahco is a Swedish company, thought it would be OK. Turns out my 24" Bahco is made in Portugal.

Anyway, it should fit in a small pack better and it cuts pretty well. I can always replace the blade with a Bahco one in the future

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Stick with it and see how it goes. I used a cheapo pruning saw for a couple of years until I grabbed a Laplander off here for a good price.

The Big Lebowski

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
I dont really think theres much in the saw's themselves... Some come with slightly better mounting systems for the blades, but you pay more for the brand names!

If the provided blade does the job, all the better. You may improve the saw by fitting one of the more advanced (and in turn expensive) blades, but just enjoy what you have now.

al.

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
My non-scientific test was to count the number of strokes to cut through a birch log I'd picked up on a dog walk.

The Hercules took 17 strokes, the Bahco took 16. Not much in it. The Bahco has a plastic handle so more comfortable to use but possibly not as resilient. I did buy a Bahco blade for my cheapo bowsaw (as the blade it had was blunt).

Wish I'd seen this before I bought it, mind:

http://www.army-surplus.org.uk/product_info.php?products_id=1222

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Never worry about what other people have got. If it works for you it's perfect.

Better delete all the review section, then! :D

Thanks for the positive comments, I doubt it will be getting a huge amount of use (especially since I bought the chainsaw... :) ) but more portable and practical if I'm just cutting enough wood for a campfire

The Big Lebowski

Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
It will make it a load easier than using a pocket saw... Thats for sure!

Just added a bowsaw to my shopping list. Good call.

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
I've taken just a blade(24")into the woods a couple of times now, then using the saw on my sak, have made my own frame to mount it on, managed ok, but not briliant, would appreciate some tips.

Rob

The Big Lebowski

Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
Spent £30 on a Silky Pocket Boy. Snapped it first time I used it!

Doh!

Managed to get some pretty heavy use out of an F180, lent it out and it came back with an inch off the tip :p
New blade now and it managed a 10" chunk of oak yesterday, all be it in a roundey, sawey kind of way!

al.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE