not neolithic Britain yet then?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Besides, mad cow disease was 1986, that was a year of the tiger,
Swine flu was 2005, that was the year of the chicken,(actually a male green chicken, since the Chinese calendar uses a stem/ branch system that takes in metals, wood, ying, yang, etc.
Last year's avian flu was during the year of the ox and next year(well, our this year) is again a tiger year.

Nice theory though :D

cheers,
Toddy

Lets get Richard Hammond onto it with his show where he investigates if things are true.

He did one show about the potential harm to people from eating Scottish Farmed Salmon that the papers reported about, which in turn hurt the industry. Turns out that it was related to American research where certain food chemicals E numbers etc are regulated more than they are in Europe.

The best bit of advice he said was to read the article from the end to the start.

Just the other day I read the Headline 22 people have died due to the extreme weather.... if it was a "normal winter" (which I am not saying it wasn't) would those 22 have died any way? We all know some people struggle to get through the winter with heating allowances etc.

On the radio this morning it was "We only have 2 days Gas Supply left in the UK"

It amazes me how much the media has control over the public.

Originally Posted by spiritwalker
4 yrs ago, yr of the cow- Mad Cow disease. 3 yrs ago, yr of the bird- Avian flu. Last yr, yr of the pig- Swine flu. This yr: Yr of the cock - Anybody worried?

Better get prepared then... :lmao:

Is it just me or is the Daily Mail getting worse?

It has to.
The more it screams about the end of the world, the more it needs to up the ante as we all become hardened to the 'everyday' crisis.

3000 odd people die EVERY YEAR from normal seasonal flu - so far we have had about 250 odd people die from swine flu and it's mass panic!

Why?

Because seasonal flu isn't interesting hence no hysteria.

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
i sometimes erad the Daily Mail to give me something to really get mad at. It puts everything else into perspective.

caliban

Need to contact Admin...
Apr 16, 2008
edinburgh
Guys, reflexive slagging off off the Daily Mail is getting a bit dull, it's like Neil from the Young Ones calling any authority figure a "faaaaaaascist man". The DM is FOS.......just like evey other newspaper. The news is a product, the aim is to make money, end of story.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Besides the Scottish Daily Mail has an entire centrefold of puzzles :D
It's not unknown for me to buy the paper to line my veg baskets just so I can get the puzzle pages :eek:
Pretty much all it's good for really, wrapping carrots and parsnips, spuds and neeps :rolleyes:

cheers,
M

Melonfish

Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
Guys, reflexive slagging off off the Daily Mail is getting a bit dull, it's like Neil from the Young Ones calling any authority figure a "faaaaaaascist man". The DM is FOS.......just like evey other newspaper. The news is a product, the aim is to make money, end of story.

I'll have you know that slagging off the daily mail is a national past time sir!
:lmao:

and anyway all authority figures are Faaaaaascists man!
;)

Woodwatcher

Jul 29, 2009
norfolk
So whos ready for the end of the world then? perhaps 2012 has arrived early. i just wish it would hurry up then i woulnt have to go to work tommorrow. We(society) are so gullible as far as the media is concerned.

wingstoo

May 12, 2005
South Marches
Also from the Daily Fail, earlier this year: How swine flu could be a bigger threat to humanity than nuclear warfare.

Nope, no pointlessly sensationalist scare-mongering there guv'nor... It was all them "experts" what done it!

Well theoretically, and probably in reality a flu pandemic would be more of a threat to humanity than nuclear warfare, so not scare-mongering in reality. Over hyping the position maybe, but have a look how many people died in the last two big influenza pandemics and look how many people have died in "Nuclear Warfare".

There have been NO people killed in Nuclear Warfare since two bombs were dropped on Japan in 1945, which wasn't so much "Nuclear Warfare" as a one sided attack. The bombs killed as many as 140,000 people in Hiroshima and 80,000 in Nagasaki by the end of 1945,

But since 1945 there have been two Flu Pandemics, 1957 and 1967 causing an estimated 800,000 deaths.

So as the Swine flu killed over two hundred deaths in the UK and a lot more world wide I think it is safe to say that "Swine flu is a bigger threat to humanity than Nuclear warfare".

So as the Swine flu killed over two hundred deaths in the UK and a lot more world wide I think it is safe to say that "Swine flu is a bigger threat to humanity than Nuclear warfare".

Hmmm, your maths is a bit out.

-Taking the average death toll from the 2 WWII bombs as 110,000 (going on your figures) per bomb
-Assuming a modern nuclear war will use modern nuclear warheads rather than 60 year old atom bombs which will give an approx 160 KTon yield as opposed to Nagasaki's 20 - 22KTon yield
-Bearing in mind an actual war will involve the targeting of approx 30 - 40 targets in the UK alone...........

Then your looking at a (simplistic but fair) death toll of approx. 3.8 million or just over half the UK population.

Assuming any war will involve attacks on more than one country, and taking into account collateral deaths through radiation exposure, lack of resources etc. then I'd say yes - saying swine flu could be more deadly than nuclear war is scare mongering.

:D

Seriously - more people have dies in the past year through allergic reactions to prescription drugs than have dies from swine flu - where's the ibuprofen vaccine? :pokenest:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE