The Science of Water

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

B.L. craft

Jul 30, 2020
Chester, UK
We have a number of natural springs in the hills around here; there are no water sources above them and I drink from them untreated regularly. I always have done in the welsh hills if I'm high enough up. We're also on our own private borehole and the water is pumped up 100m - it is the cleanest tasting clearest water you will find and totally untreated; I cannot drink tap water from towns and cities - the taste is disgusting.
Have done the same in Wales and in Scotland years ago when I was in the Military, we just dropped a sterilising tablet in if we weren't sure. Now most of my water is filtered and it's sweeter and better than the tap water in Chester.

When I was on a Combat Engineer 1 course part of the syllabus was water supply both bulk and personnel, for the bulk we used chlorination sets with pumps and personal use we use the Milbank bag.

There were certain tests we had to carry out at water sources one of them was to check for the usual parasites etc; but the other was for bone oil. Bone oil occurs in mountain streams especially were there are flocks of sheep. If a sheep dies or falls into a water course and dies it pollutes the water, the bone oil is highly toxic and that was drummed into us, always check the water source in mountains.

I also had a blood test not long ago that looked to see if I had any parasites and pathogens in my blood, the Dr did the full spectrum and the results were negative, because I regularly drink filtered water from our club lakes he wanted to make sure I'd not picked up anything causing me a digestive problem, unfortunately I have IBD as it turned out and wasn't anything I had consumed in the sticks.

Interestingly most water I have come across never had a bone oil problem so it wasn't an issue. The other test we did after cleaning the water was a Neutral red test, this was to make sure chemicals were not present, however, most tap water in the UK is not to Military standard so it always failed and that's water supposed to be clean via the water utilities.

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland

grizzlyj

Nov 10, 2016
NW UK
Without wanting to start another thread, I was recently looking at a small water filter, the Lifestraw. It does not remove virus but somewhere I read this is not an issue because you will know if the water you will be filtering will have virus in it or not.
So are there parts of the UK/world where you could safely assume there are no virus, or is that a bit of a daft question?

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
you will know if the water you will be filtering will have virus in it or not.
All natural waters contain viruses. Lots and lots of viruses. So I guess this statement is true, in a sense. ;D

Now if we're talking pathogenic viruses and in the UK, you're probably mainly looking at Norovirus and a few other suspects, so you might be ok if you don't take water from downstream any diffuse or point sources of sewage water, so downstream of towns, farms etc.

To be on the safe side, you'd want to treat your water after filtering, for instance using UV, boiling or purification tablets.

Still talking about the UK, you also want to avoid collecting water downstream of old metal mines and their spoil heaps. The levels of lead, zinc etc are still very high in many streams and rivers downstream of historic mining sites.

Reactions: XSR101 and grizzlyj

Herman30

Native
Aug 30, 2015
Finland
Here´s my waterfiltration system.

Left to right:
Hydrapak with BeFree filter.
Millbank filter.
Foldable cup to fill Millbank with.
Water pump for occasions when water is hard to reach to.
Orange pack pouch for the stuff.

Reactions: Tony

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE