Norwich and Norfolk group new thread!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
not only have we loads of people!.......

but we have 4 training areas, 3 of them we can do overnight camps at!
TheThetford area scout campsite!
eacdabed.jpg
ee038fb1.jpg

the secret ex air base woodland outside Norwich(still a secret! ;) )
ec843ba3.jpg
ec843ba0.jpg

Garvestone scout campsite
2006_0806Image0001.jpg

and my Parents in law farm in the fens (kingslynn area) we can meet up at for the day. :D
eacdabdf.jpg

theres also a scout campsite within Norwich we can use!

do you coast guys know of a camp site in your area?

Steve R

Forager
Jan 29, 2007
Lincolnshire UK
Hi Norfolk peeps,

I am new to the site and quite new to bushcrafting, had some experience in the Army and form Western re-enactments, hoping to be able to trundle down and meet up with you all at times.

I have loads of time so could be available (fuel money permitting, live near Boston Lincs) to help with any 'clean up' type projects, just dont expect me to move too fast, "I'm an old man" (said in my best Albert Steptoe voice) :lmao:

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
Hi Steve R . Welcome. Don't worry about being old!!! I am older than you are :( We can always leave the Rambo stuff (making feather sticks and gathering the blackberries) to the younger blokes!
We'll just reap the nice bits like enjoying the fire, the company and eating the blackberries pies. (cooked by somebody else of course) and then bore everybody to death by reminiscing about the good old days! :D . :D

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
H steve R
Nice to have you with us, as our 25th member!!! :You_Rock_
as i mentioned before there is some land i can use in the fenns which isn't too far from you!
we hope to meet you soon,
and your only as old as you feel! ;)

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
:)
i was just checkng through and re-writing an addrss book and it seems i only have a few phone numbers for you guy's.
Obviously i'm not going to put your personal details on the thread
if you send me your phone number I'll compile a list and i'll PM or E-mail one to each of the regular Norwich/Norfolk group members (send me Mobile numbers if possible so you can stay anonymous if you wish).
and you can always block or not answer calls

then when we have meetups we can call each other
if we get lost,
loose each other,
if you need picking up,
or vehicle breakdowns

cheers
Rich :)

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
thanks to Jay Jay, we have a video to watch! :You_Rock_

this is Kev-B lighting Reed mace(bull rush) with a firesteel, it's not unusual to get a flame but a huge one like this is rare!

Reed mace fire

i now wish we'd filmed the really big pile!

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
Just been to the pond in the garden to get one! I didn't get quite as much flames, it's just 8am and evereything is frozen, inc the reedmace, but it did flare up. cool :D

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
:) cool you had a go!
i'm not sure what was different about the one we used but it was practialy dangerous! ;)

any more Phone numbers to add to the Norwich/Norwich phone book?
see (post #327 page 33)

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
I tried again later after I dried it but it did not make much difference :confused: It flares up but does not last much. also went for a walk on the marshes this morning, seen a few birds, heron, swans, wrens and blue tits, it was a lovely morning :) I found some clematis the other day, I picked some up and am drying it as it was rather soggy. I'll have to try it soon.

Snufkin

Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
Spent the day in the woods today clearing trails from the gales. One trail had brambles that had grown across it since I last walked it 10 days ago :eek:. That's not right for winter!
As I was mooching my way home I saw a bachelor group of stags, seven very nice ones just on the edge of the wood, waiting for darkness to go out and feed. I watched them for half an hour through the binos but then my belly told me it was time to go home for tea :) .

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
I tried again later after I dried it but it did not make much difference It flares up but does not last much. also went for a walk on the marshes this morning, seen a few birds, heron, swans, wrens and blue tits, it was a lovely morning I found some clematis the other day, I picked some up and am drying it as it was rather soggy. I'll have to try it soon.

:lmao: we had special Reedmace, or mabey it was justKev-B ;) .
i can show you an excellent place to get clematis over an 2" diameter! i have some that's 4"! is the marsh area it a good area for a meet up?

Spent the day in the woods today clearing trails from the gales. One trail had brambles that had grown across it since I last walked it 10 days ago . That's not right for winter!
As I was mooching my way home I saw a bachelor group of stags, seven very nice ones just on the edge of the wood, waiting for darkness to go out and feed. I watched them for half an hour through the binos but then my belly told me it was time to go home for tea

wow sounds like a nice place! prehaps we should have a small meet up there?

you won't believe this but for those who know new costessey, theres a small wild area with river/ponds opposite gunton lane, i startled saw a small deer about 3 meters away in there a few weeks ago! i've also seen foxes in the same area, nature is closer than we think! :)

(got your phone no ady05 cheers)

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
just to let you all know i have the Mobile/phone numbers of the people in BOLD if you want to be included in the Norwich/Norfolk Phone number PM get your number to me ASAP.

Ady05
Biddlesby
billycan
Cronos
Damascus
Dino
Gearguru
Jay-Jay
jo-jo
Kev-B

Kimboko
leon-b
Longstrider
lord lurcher
Kane
Pauli
RAPPLEBY2000
RayS
Sam1
sandspec
Snufkin
Steve R

thomasturnbull
weekender
westnorfolk

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
Wow! I nearly lost my eyebrows :D I had kept that reed mace overnight in the kitchen, nice and dry. I trie it again just now and it just went up like a house on fire! :eek:

Well, the marsh area is partly nature reserve and a shoot, very open and I am sure we could meet there, but as far as having fires, etc I think it's probably bit too flat and open.
There is the nature reserve centre were you can park cars and have coffee etc, sometimes!, but certainly can have good walks there. I have seen barn owls, deer, in the reed beds, and all sorts of bird life. Could see what we can do with reeds, I tried some for tinder,was a bit damp. My wife and daughter were there on that walk, and my wife accused me & our daughter of being a pyromaniac :D :D

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
sounds promising :)
could we combine the marsh walk with a bit of beach combing?

as for what to do with reeds?

i can show you howto make an instant fairly strong rope/cord with reedmace leaves! ;)

i really want to do a meet up towards two areas for the more far flung guys, one meet in the lowerstoft area one in the kingslynn area

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
I don't see why not.. we would have to get back in the cars mind you! I dont know the north shore of Lowestoft. may go and have a look at the week end to see what its like up there ;)

Can't we cook and eat the underwater roots ? or is that the wrong plants?

Snufkin

Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
wow sounds like a nice place! prehaps we should have a small meet up there?
It's a possibility. Its Bacton Wood, FC land so no camping or fires, and it's mostly evergreen plantation, but there's some nice beeches and other deciduous stuff in there too. Plenty of wildlife, red, roe and muntjac deer, fox, badger, weasel and stoats. Owls too, and breeding sparrowhawks and the occasional marsh harrier over the Nth Walsham Dilham canal. We could do a Sunday there but it does get very crowded with the populace of North Walsham taking their dogs there to s#*t :rolleyes: . It's better if the weathers ropey as they mostly stay at home then. It's quiet weekdays and if anyones ever up for a Friday meetup it's my day off so just give me a shout :) .

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE