Norfolk and Norwich Group

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
Not often i get a cartoon dedicated to me...:lmao:
note: the skip logo!
Bushcraft-Betty003.jpg

:eek: oh dear!

I'm back again with evengance, nicer, brand new, much faster PC!:D

sorry to hear about the hernia ops crowe, ...Memouries:rolleyes:
Been there:( and goin again:(... "time off" is "time off" though, It's worth learning something new if you can.

I'm afraid Easter has already been booked for me:( kids in-laws yadda yadda.

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
hope so, we have descussed alot of ideas stuff in the pipeline, just need people to step in and head up the ideas.

Globetrotter.uk

Jan 24, 2008
Norwich UK
:red: Just came across Grange woods
http://wtp2.appspot.com/wheresthepath.htm?lat=52.53068115534562&lon=0.06193029275659559&gz=17&oz=9&gt=2

Its near the March Golf course (on the next bend of the road).
It has a pond, 5 main wooded areas with loads of dead standing wood where the Woodland lot have cut trees down and then left them laying there. Loads of Sycamore and Birch (I don't think anyone has ever harvested any of the old bark off).
A lot of Hawthorn has been put up around the wooded areas so it forms natural wind breaks and the areas are thick enough to camp without being seen,
It says no fires or bonfires so all cooking and brew fires would have to be in containers and carried away, but enough wood up to a foot thick just laying there.
A tiny hole in a birch with a sycamore tap gave me a constant flow into my hand for a quick drink.
I reckon it would be a good place to meet some time over Easter. :drive:
Unfortunately no loos or taps so water carried in.
Anyone fancy it?
3rd April?

IS anyone going to this? Im still free but dont want to make a wasted journey

Whittler Kev

Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
bushcraftinfo.blogspot.com
IS anyone going to this? Im still free but dont want to make a wasted journey
I'll be there. Fancy doing some craft sharing (still practising the man knitting)
I could bring my firebow and sharps again (plenty of standing dead wood to practise with (brew with)
If anyone fancies a sleepover up to them but my bed beckons when I'm only 1/4 mile away.
Going to have a little look again tomorrow now I have my Globetrotter inspired Hobo stove. Trying to think of what I could use a s a container for a communal fire. Maybe an old BBQ would do?
I'll take a few tarps so we can have a sitting area if it rains
A way to lose the in laws for a day over easter?
Please remember Everything carried in and out no water or Loo's on site (24 hour Tesco's 1/2 mile away)

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
sorry I'm not available I'll be looking for eggs with the kids , the chocolate sort!;)
sounds nice though,goodjob
take some pics and tell us what happened!:cool:

Whittler Kev

Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
Just spent the afternoon in the woods.:D
Sat in a clearing I’ve spotted for Saturday, contemplating a brew :rolleyes: on the new hobo stove, when I spotted someone lurking, watching me :eek:. I went over and he said he was the deputy warden for the site and heard me breaking a branch while walking around. Apparently they're not used to anyone going into the wood, just walking around the outside. I told him why I was there and explained some of us might be coming for a day on Saturday.
:welcome1: He is a nice bloke. He showed me where they are coppicing ash and willow. I said I was maybe going to have a go at a bit of weaving and he took me to where there was some suckers cut off, and said I could help myself goodjob. He showed me a pile of weathered ash staves and where they were soaking some thicker Willow for making eel traps. He also showed me where he had planted some willow and was training it into a natural growing hide and the badger set they have there. I assured him we would keep away as they have several young in the set.
He showed me back to where I had left my gear. He told me that it was OK to have a brew but fires are frowned on, and the Warden was not quite so understanding.
I settled down to get the stove going and within 5 minutes, another bloke was advancing on me. He asked if I had a fire lit and I showed him it was the hobo and it wasn’t going to well as it was raining and the wood was a little wet. He said he had a bigger one for him and his wife. I explained what I was doing and he said it was OK as it was contained in a pot but he didn’t like open fires as a group had burnt the floor with a BBQ and the kids with them had been charging around the woods, breaking the trees and scaring off the local deer and other animals there.
I said about Saturday and he was OK with it until I said about camping.
No overnight camping allowed I was told. Some backpackers had spoiled it again with open fires and “ringing trees” with guy ropes etc. While they do occasionally ring trees to provide dead trees for woodpeckers, etc they weren’t too happy.:(
He also corrected me when I said about Sycamore. THERE ARE NO SYCAMORE HERE he told me :pokenest:. I looked again - there all ash, etc, all natural to the area. He will have planted 20 000 trees this year, one for every inhabitant of March apparently. He's 74 and just trying to get over prostrate cancer.goodjob
So still OK for Saturday but no sleeping over unfortunately.
I’ll be there from about 10 and be in the middle of the first wooded area on the left. See you there

Globetrotter.uk

Jan 24, 2008
Norwich UK
Well that has made my mind up, sorry but the budget is tight after buying scout uniform and bills I cant afford the train fare hopefully next months allowance and another meet near you.

Damascus

Native
Dec 3, 2005
Norwich
Hi All

I have been to the hospital and good news things are progressing well, one draw back is I am not sure if I will be well enough to do an over night in May but still happy to run with a day on the site say the 15th May (sat).

It would be nice to get out again as I'm getting cabin fever stuck at home at the moment.

Let us know if you are interested

all the best

D:camping:

Whittler Kev

Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
Thats 3 confirmed now::D

Whittler Kev
Sherwood
Mitch66

The more the merrier.
The coordinates are:

52°31'52.16"N
0° 3'43.73"E

Grange Road, March,
PE15 0YH

From Roundabout from Chatteris (South end of March Bypass) go toward Tesco's. On the right hand sweeping corner, at the crossroads turn left, then immediately left. Follow the road until you get to a sharp right hand corner. This is the golf club. The next corner is a sharp left hander. The woods are on the right. You can park on the side of the road. When you go through the second gate, I'll be in the middle of the copse in front of you (on the left)
I'll be there from about 10am on Saturday
GrangeWoods-1.jpg

GrangeWoods2.jpg

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
looks like it'll be a good meet, shame I can't be there :(
Make sure you take some good pics!
But as a brucie bonus, there's a decent army surplus store in Kings lynn, which is not far away!
(close to the bus station).

Whittler Kev

Mar 8, 2009
March, UK

Globetrotter.uk

Jan 24, 2008
Norwich UK
Hi folks

just thought i would let you know I finished my Hobo, (yes another one)

check it out if you have a minute or two

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acu34Sm6bWo

Also I went for a bimble with my son and a friend in Wymondham and walked to Silfield nature reserve off the A11 mainly small trees and gorse a few birch and loads of ponds. couldnt find a place for the hammock. will go back without kida and have a good scout.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE