Norfolk and Norwich Group

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
Hi guy's, please a hands up for the 15th May meet up!
you'll love the place a disused USAF base just south of Norwich, It's private land so anything goes, overnight camp, Fires, hammock, Tarps, axes etc etc whatever!
I'll try to make one of the days.
looking forward to it!

on a sadder note, :(
I had a message from a well known and respected Norfolk and Norwich guy, about some "unknown campers".
We don't think it's anyone we know,(I.e. not from BCUK or N&N group) but even so, can we keep an eye out and report anything suspect this is what he saw:( :

My local common is being used as a Bushcrafty camp place by some either uncaring or unskilled Bushcrafters.
the common is at Crostwick on the b1135. (map link below)
Their half hearted attempts to hide their activity are "to be kind" poor!!! :( with fire-sites and sawn off tree limbs in numerous sites everywhere.
I have checked with local scout group and its not them. Anyway if you should know of anyone practising or staying up there please ask them to raise their game or stay at home!
Although not your problem I would appreciate it though I doubt anyone you associate with would not behave so irresponsibly!

this is the area:
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Crostwick&sll=53.800651,-4.064941&sspn=14.776252,45.571289&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Crostwick,+Norwich,+Norfolk,+United+Kingdom&ll=52.697713,1.342821&spn=0.029545,0.089006&t=h&z=14

sadly there a lot of it about when the weather gets warm, and it could give a very innocent Bushcraft, a bad name!
So if you see anyone doing this, probably the "outskirts" of North Norwich can you report it ASAP!

Cheers;)

Last edited:

launditch1

Maker Plus and Trader
Nov 17, 2008
Eceni county.
Hi All.
I cant make the Hethel meet.Thats the weekend of the weird and wonderful wood festival in Suffolk.

And i hope the numpties get caught whoever they are.Gives us a bad name...

Damascus

Native
Dec 3, 2005
Norwich
Hi All

I can only do the 15th as I doubt I will be well enough to do an over night as I still get tired very quickly,

We can plan an over night later in the year if thats ok.

D:hammock::hammock:

mitch66

Nomad
Mar 8, 2010
king's lynn norfolk
sounds good, has someone got directions please maybe a long & lat for the old gps. may we park on site? are there any toilets? water? not a problem just want to know what to bring:) the sink's in the back of the landy already. thanks carl

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
No Loos Carl and you need to bring your own water. Parking not a problem
it's not a camp site...;) it's woodland.

just to set the scene:
it's an extremely overgrown WW2 USAF base, when you get there you'll think it's just woodland, until you look closer and see bits of wall, concrete, and several working bomb shelters

The really good thing is the site is just far enough from local towns that it's not been used by addicts homeless etc.

one of the many usable bunkers
shelters001.jpg

Globetrotter standing in the entrance of the same bunker as above!
as you can see the bunkers are practically invisible from only a short distance!
shelters002.jpg

a handy fire place with working chimney we used! some still has a mantelpiece!
all that's left standing from the billets(army "pig shelter" shaped house), it's standing on concrete foundations (under the leaf litter)
shelters006.jpg

basically you'll like it!:D

plenty of opportunity for hammocks, tarps, fires, natural shelters, and anything else Bushcrafty you can think of, you can't normally do!

Last edited:

Damascus

Native
Dec 3, 2005
Norwich
The easiest way to get there would be to all meet up at the Thickthorne service station (A11/A47 roundabout) say about 9- 930 and follow me in, as there are a few country lanes.

Rich knows the way we could meet him there.

D:drive::drive:

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
"the landy" would be parked about 200 meters away at a local farm(which is active), you might even be able to park closer you'd need to ask Damascus.

wouldn't worry about it, it's not the sort of place "crims" hang about as it's all either private land or countryside not marked on maps as a parking place or even place of interest.

i.e. it's not the sort of place you'd see, fly tipping/dogging/dog walkers/hikers etc

it's actually a bit of a gem!:D

Last edited:

Damascus

Native
Dec 3, 2005
Norwich
Hi All

I spoke to john the guy who owns the place at hethel, I've arranged to use of the hard standing for the cars on the 15th.

They asked you all to be mindful of the bluebells etc in the woods which I said we would apart from that we have the place to our selves.

Out of interest who is coming just some ideas of numbers, I will bring my air rifle along with targets if anyone wants to do some plinking.:AR15firin

regards

D:mexwave:

Damascus

Native
Dec 3, 2005
Norwich
For everyone who's coming,

Like the first time Rapps went to Hethel I met him at the Thickthorne service station and he followed me there, I plan to do the same this time that way we can get all the cars on the hard standing in the main yard of the farm and John can still get there own cars in and out.

So if we meet around 9 to 9 30 and take it from there.

In regards to wood for shelters, the thing is its a nature conservation area so lets keep the impact low and if 6 people wanted to build a shelter thats a lot of wood, keep it to tarps. Better to finish a day on a high than upsetting someone by cutting down too much wood and not be asked back again.:lmao::lmao::lmao:

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
we can get all the cars on the hard standing in the main yard of the farm and John can still get there own cars in and out.
If you zoom in on the first map link you'll see the parking area in-between the farm buildings.
here:
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Hethel,+Norwich&sll=53.800651,-4.064941&sspn=15.194454,46.538086&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Hethel,+Norwich,+Norfolk,+United+Kingdom&ll=52.557573,1.197491&spn=0.000952,0.00284&t=k&z=19

Better to finish a day on a high than upsetting someone by cutting down too much wood and not be asked back again.:lmao::lmao::lmao:
( I forgot it was a conservation area) good point!goodjob

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE