non bushcraft chatter

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
i think it's just one of those arguments that go between the people who use forums- some like to get a bit down and dirty and have a place for arguing and slagging matches- i find them good sometimes, and sometimes it can be really constructive.

Perhaps you could point to one such shining example that we could follow?

Personally, I think some people dont like obeying rules under any circumstances. They walk on the grass because the sign says "please keep off the grass" without any consideration for why that sign might be there.

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
moon.jpg

OOooops there it goes again:D

:lmao: :lmao:

Cairodel

Nomad
Nov 15, 2004
Cairo, Egypt.
No, actually, you dont.

That's kind of the point.

I've stayed out of this one so far, but I'm afraid Martyn, that your statement sounds
downright sinister to me....

Are you saying that Bernie (or any other member)

1. Has no say...
2. Has no right to express his opinion...
3. Is not allowed to reply if he disagrees with a statement...
Or is it just that they are not allowed to disagree with those that can close threads...??

BTW.. Big Geordie, I thought more than twice before posting this reply.... :(

May 12, 2007
Derby, UK
www.berax.co.uk
I've stayed out of this one so far, but I'm afraid Martyn, that your statement sounds

1. Has no say...
Or is it just that they are not allowed to disagree with those that can close threads...??

Yep that's what he's saying.

Bernie

Wayland

Hárbarðr

1. Has no say...

Although I wouldn't have put it quite that way I think that is exactly the point.

This forum is run and paid for by Tony.

It's his site and his rules. It's not actually a democracy here, although it's certainly not run like a dictatorship.

For all that, I actually think it runs quite well the way it is.

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
I've said this many times and on many sites. It's very hard to "emote" in text. When you write something, the way it's written might come across very differently when read by another party. Nine times out of ten this is how the flaming starts...

Example: If I were to type a reply simply saying "Wind yer neck in" You can't hear my intonation, you can't see me grinning or the mischevious look on my face... Simply you don't know if i'm joking or not..I do, but that doesn't mean squat to someone reading the post in Canada say..

So PLEASE people, if you get a metaphorical "slap on the wrist" graciously back down and have a rethink befor getting defensive and gung ho...Lifes easier that way

It's nice to be nice:D

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
For what it's worth folks, I believe sometimes we have to just bite our tongue and if need be, pass on to another thread. We all have to do this sometimes no matter where or what we happen to be doing at the time. If for no other reason than just keeping it civil. Occasionaly someone in the office or at home (SWMBO) or wherever will say something which aggrivates or gets up your nose, yeh have your say by all means but if it then returns we all know it will lead to an arguement or a slagging match, so bite the lip and move on. This medium of discussion is good for that, if someone or a subject starts to feel a bit "off" or starts to annoy you look at another thread and chill before anger sets in and it gets outta hand. Personally I have to do this everytime another thread comes up survival vs bushcraft cos to me it's all been said and done to death a dozen times before. Chill guys it's only a discussion and everyone has an opinion which is just as valid as your own, even when it disagrees with yours.

May 12, 2007
Derby, UK
www.berax.co.uk
I've said this many times and on many sites. It's very hard to "emote" in text. When you write something, the way it's written might come across very differently when read by another party. Nine times out of ten this is how the flaming starts...

Example: If I were to type a reply simply saying "Wind yer neck in" You can't hear my intonation, you can't see me grinning or the mischevious look on my face... Simply you don't know if i'm joking or not..I do, but that doesn't mean squat to someone reading the post in Canada say..

So PLEASE people, if you get a metaphorical "slap on the wrist" graciously back down and have a rethink befor getting defensive and gung ho...Lifes easier that way

It's nice to be nice:D

Thanks for that post Dave,thats how i come across, some of us just type and can't work out the emocicons.

Bernie

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
For what it's worth folks, I believe sometimes we have to just bite our tongue and if need be, pass on to another thread. We all have to do this sometimes no matter where or what we happen to be doing at the time. If for no other reason than just keeping it civil. Occasionaly someone in the office or at home (SWMBO) or wherever will say something which aggrivates or gets up your nose, yeh have your say by all means but if it then returns we all know it will lead to an arguement or a slagging match, so bite the lip and move on. This medium of discussion is good for that, if someone or a subject starts to feel a bit "off" or starts to annoy you look at another thread and chill before anger sets in and it gets outta hand. Personally I have to do this everytime another thread comes up survival vs bushcraft cos to me it's all been said and done to death a dozen times before. Chill guys it's only a discussion and everyone has an opinion which is just as valid as your own, even when it disagrees with yours.

Any everybody else has a right to their opinions, even if they are always wrong. :D

Kidding Im kidding. There seems to be a theme of bear grylls, ray mears, and arguing threads lately. Secretly I enjoy all three, but we something new to talk about. You I know I much prefer it round a fire with a drink!

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com

1. Has no say...

It sounds harsh the way you've phrased it, but to be blunt, yes, that's the bottom line.

You see, this isn't a council owned forum, it's Tony's place. He pays for it and you and I are guests here. It's like the passenger seat of your car, or the front room of your house. If you pick a hitchhiker up and the guy starts slagging you off, whatcha gonna do? Pull over and boot him out right? Are you bothered that he is going to call you a fascist for not letting him speak his mind? No, of course you are not. As far as you are concerned, he cut his own throat. He has the right to free speech, you have the right to boot him out of your car.

So what rights do you have on here? Well, you have the right to log out and go somewhere else. Beyond that, not much really, you see you are riding in Tony's car. It's not a democracy and you dont get a say. If you want the ride, you have to live with that - we all do. ;)

To be honest though, and this is what amazes me - why isnt that obvious? When I'm a guest in someone else's house, I expect there to be rules and I respect them without question. Anything else would be rude, surely?

May 12, 2007
Derby, UK
www.berax.co.uk
Pretty much, yep.

You see, this isn't a public forum, it's Tony's place. He pays for it and you and I are guests here. It's like the passenger seat of your car, or the front room of your house. If you pick a hitchhiker up and the guy starts slagging you off, whatcha gonna do? Pull over and boot him out right? Are you bothered that he is going to call you a fascist for not letting him speak his mind? No, of course you are not. As far as you are concerned, he cut his own throat. He has the right to free speech, you have the right to boot him out of your car.

So what rights do you have on here? Well, you have the right to log out and go somewhere else. Beyond that, not much really, you see you are riding in Tony's car. It's not a democracy and you dont get a say. If you want the ride, you have to live with that. ;)

Still got the charlie chaplin tash and jackboots to match then mate,try getting a life away from forums,i'm here to show what i can make with my bare hands,not intellectually blind us with science,and be a big man who owns a site,and rule's like a saddo,if you don't say what i want your banned,your a sad little *****,and a sad little nobody away from your forum,so don't come here with your crap keep it at your house.

Bernie

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Still got the charlie chaplin tash and jackboots to match then mate,try getting a life away from forums,i'm here to show what i can make with my bare hands,not intellectually blind us with science,and be a big man who owns a site,and rule's like a saddo,if you don't say what i want your banned,your a sad little *****,and a sad little nobody away from your forum,so don't come here with your crap keep it at your house.

Bernie

Showing your class there Bernie - or lack of it.

No surprise.

Cairodel

Nomad
Nov 15, 2004
Cairo, Egypt.
Martyn quote: [You see, this isn't a public forum, it's Tony's place.]

We haven't heard from Tony yet....

Quote; [If you pick a hitchhiker up and the guy starts slagging you off, whatcha gonna do? Pull over and boot him out right? Are you bothered that he is going to call you a fascist for not letting him speak his mind? No, of course you are not. As far as you are concerned, he cut his own throat. He has the right to free speech, you have the right to boot him out of your car.]

This is not my (or your) car... the fact that it is freely viewable on the internet means
that it is in the public domain....:rolleyes:

Quote; [So what rights do you have on here? Well, you have the right to log out and go somewhere else.]

That is an exceptional attitude from someone who does not own the site....:eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE