No matter what i do i cant seem to cut down pack weight :(

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
D

D3adkl0wn

I know tthat there have been a lot of "what should I take" and "what kit to carry" threads on here, and I've honestly read them. However, it seems that no matter what i do, no matter what i leave home, My pack weight is far too heavy to be comfortable.

To answer the first thing that most of you might wonder, I've tried many different packs, its not a pack issue. my current pack is a MOLLE II assault pack and its about the most comfortable i've found. But i have used a British "other arms" ruck and a number of other packs in the past.

The problem is that no matter how i scrutinize my gear, i cannot seem to get down to a comfortable weight, while keeping the things that seem important enough to carry with me.

i've looked at the Ray Mears list that a lot of you have posted and even that is heavy. i don't know, perhaps my gear is just heavy stuff..

anyhow, if any of you have some advice that might help me look at my gear a little more closely and get rid of some of it i'd be appreciative.

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
I know tthat there have been a lot of "what should I take" and "what kit to carry" threads on here, and I've honestly read them. However, it seems that no matter what i do, no matter what i leave home, My pack weight is far too heavy to be comfortable.

To answer the first thing that most of you might wonder, I've tried many different packs, its not a pack issue. my current pack is a MOLLE II assault pack and its about the most comfortable i've found. But i have used a British "other arms" ruck and a number of other packs in the past.

The problem is that no matter how i scrutinize my gear, i cannot seem to get down to a comfortable weight, while keeping the things that seem important enough to carry with me.

i've looked at the Ray Mears list that a lot of you have posted and even that is heavy. i don't know, perhaps my gear is just heavy stuff..

anyhow, if any of you have some advice that might help me look at my gear a little more closely and get rid of some of it i'd be appreciative.

When you get home look at the stuff you used and the stuff you didn't, stop carrying the stuff you don't use.

tobes01

May 4, 2009
Hampshire
When you get home look at the stuff you used and the stuff you didn't, stop carrying the stuff you don't use.

That's how I work - I review my kit after every trip out, even if it's just a bimble in the woods for a few hours. Have got down from 120L+ to around 75L in my standard packing. That's still too much, but I'm learning...

johnboy

Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Hi,

As I see it excessive 'pack weight' falls into a few different areas:

1. Taking too much stuff which as the others have said is about ditching stuff you dont use.
2. The kit you have is heavy and bulky. This one gets less attention in bushcrafting circles IMHO. If your kit is fundamentally heavy then you're not going to be able to pare any weight off you need lighter kit. Suddenly that civvy down sleeping bag looks attractive compared to the US Army Sleep System for example...
3. Food weight. How much food are you taking and what is it.. bergen full of tins..Ratpacks /MRE's or dehydrated food.
4. Your physical fitness to carry the load. The load might be reasonable but if your unfit or not used to carrying weight around it's going to feel heavy.
5. What you are carrying the load in. If your pack is heavy to start with then it's not going to get any better when you fill it up.
6. Carry kit that is appropriate to the task at hand so don't lug a 5 season synthetic bag on a summer trip.

Finally Bushcraft can mean carrying stuff that is heavy Axes, saws etc.... do you really need em??

HTH

John

Last edited:

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
I'm the same with kit, never being able to trim it down as much as some people.
However, I am acutely aware that if I allow it to slip too far, the balance swings the other way and I suffer because of it - I like my bulky sleeping bag, if I get too warm I can open the zip and cool off a little but if I take a smaller/lighter bag I'm right at the limit of being comfortable with a big risk of being cold all night long.

My method of going out has also changed over the years, I rarely go for the extended marathon trips these days, more often prefering to use "Base Camp" and "Day Hike" approach.

ATB

Ogri the trog

SimonM

Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
Over the years I have moved from heavy, "traditional" type kit towards lighter civvy gear.

E.g.

• I have moved away from my hobo stove and SS billy can and now carry a Honey Stove and Ti pan - same flexiibity fuel wise, but lighter.
  • Same goes for my heavy Snugpak sleeping bag, now replaced with a down model and a silk sleeping bag liner.

Whilst these changes aren't cheap, they have allowed me to move away from a 120L issue bergan (in stages, as my knowledge grows as well) to a 45L pack for multi night (summer) trips.

So, as others have said, leave home what you don't use (except your FAK) and look for smaller, lighter versions of what you already have.

Finally, IMHO it's no good going away with a 25L daysac, then having to tie gear all over the outside of it...it ruins the balance and increases the chance of losing or damaging items. Use a bag that can take all you gear internally, you will enjoy the experience much more!

HTH,

Simon

Last edited:

Melonfish

Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
Actually i found alot of weight was dropped when i did as others suggested and just stopped taking the stuff i didn't need. i still kitchen sink my pack mind what with it being a 66l! but i've found that taking my liner rather then my sleeper, not taking huge amounts of food (just what i need) and also moving my FAK and tools to my Response pak which is on my front so it takes alot off the weight.
i'm still trying to perfect the 44l pack and i reckon i'll be there once my hobo is done and i learn to sleep without an air mat ;)

Oct 5, 2009
Sheffield
For me, part of the fun of what we do is the 'fine-tuning'. Going down the DIY route has helped strike a balance between cost, weight and functionality. Going from synthetic to down has saved around 1.5KG and a shed-load of pack space, going to a hex tarp lost 500g, tuning my cook system saved another 800g. It all adds up. For me the next task is to focus on the pack itself, there's around 3KG in backpack and dry sacks!

As other's have said, you need to be quite ruthless with the stuff you hardly use but pack 'just in case'

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Give us a list of a typical load you'd take on a trip and we can see where the weight is.

I've usually found the majority of the weight comes from the key items like sleeping bags and cookware, plus water and food is never light either.

How many nights are we talking about ?

It could be that you've got a 2.5kg sleeping bag/bivi combo, a 1.5kg set of pans, 3 kg of food, 3kg of water, 1 kg tarp or tent, even spare clothing and the few tools you carry all add up in the end.

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
My biggest weight drop was the food, wet food weighs an amazing amount compared to dry, chopping out tins and ready to eat meals for rice,pasta , only adding a small amount of something full of flavor, also the amount of water, looking at where i'm going i tailor the amount of water i carry to whats availabe on route.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I find you have to take a real look at your babies.

We all have them... They are the things that we take just because we can't bear to leave them out.

The thing that took me a long time to leave at home was my axe... It's beautiful and I love it but I just don't use it when I'm tabbing about.

The next thing is to consider lighter versions of the kit you do use. Can one item do the job of something else and things like that too.

Without seeing the kit you're packing it's difficult to give specific advice but sometimes you have to be really hard on yourself.

sapper1

Feb 3, 2008
swansea
There are lots of ways to reduce weight.
You can swap heavy gear for lighter,but generally this will only save grammes rather than kilos.My cook kit consists of an MSR pocket rocket, a lightweight aluminium potset, a titanium spork,and a plastic cup .Add the fuel for a weekend and the total weight is less than 300g.If you use a full trangia set and add fuel this will weigh over 1 kilo.So a complete change of cooking kit can save 700g.
Using a 3 season down sleeping bag and liner is just as warm as a four season synthetic bag but at least half the weight.I use a down 4 season bag that weighs 1.7 kg instead of an issue sleeping bag weighing over 5 kilos .Thats another 3.3 kilos saved.
Use a shaped self inflating sleepmat rather than a full size one this will save about 250g,or even a three quarter length mat which will save even more.
Use a lightweight tarp and bivi bag instead od a hammock and tarp,the tarp cord alone can be quite heavy.But there isn't much difference between a bivi bag and a hammock which is the only different kit in the 2 set ups.
Water is heavy,if you know there will be water where you are going or the chance of a resupply then don't carry too much.
Do you carry more than one knife?If so why?Is it really neccessary?
Most things that lighten the load can be expensive but remember there is always going to be a certain lower weight limit that you will not be able beat.
Kit does weigh something.

sapper1

Feb 3, 2008
swansea
Another thought.
Is your pack the right size and are you wearing it properly?
A badly fitting pack can make your kit seem really heavy,I use a berghaus vulcan which is a heavy pack when empty but because it fits properly and the waist belt is worn correctly I can easily carry enough kit for a week including food.The same load in a Karrimor sabre 75 was really heavy and uncomfortable.Thats not to say the sabre was bad,it just didn't fit properly.

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
post up a list of what you carry so we can see

also things i find weight the most are

- fuel for stoves (liquid i mean) i jsut carry enough for a few meals rather than a 5 litres lol.
- drinking water - get yourself some kind of water filtering system, be it millbank and boil, or tablets or filtering then you can just carry a small bottl and get the rest 'in situ'
- food - tins are heavy lol
- aluminum tins are light weight to

drewdunnrespect

On a new journey
Aug 29, 2007
teesside
www.drewdunnrespect.com
hiya mate now you say you cant cut the wait but there has been alot of brilliant way discribed above that shows you how to cut the wait now i am in the same position as you but it seems i have an obsession with heavier gear so what you have to do is be creative for instance if you have a really heavy sleeping bag that you cant live with out well u have to have other things that are really light say he who has all heavy gear

drew

tim_n

Feb 8, 2010
Essex
I did an exercise with the scouts. First I got all my gear, weighed every item and put it on a check list. Each patrol took away my list and ticked what they thought was needed for a weekend walk from two youth hostels (no camping)

I then took the strongest member of the troop and took a list at random and started adding it up.

I can't remember specifics, but we ended up with a GPS and two compasses but no map, three knives (one of which was a machette), no wash kit (ha!) but a towel etc... 21KG

I then had a go, out went all the knives, reduced the medical kit down, one torch with a backup tiny LED light, minimal clothing etc. 11KG fitting in a 65ltr rucksack.

You've got to question every item you've got. Weigh it all and see if something you've got has more than one use. I used to carry a bottle opener as well as a pen knife. Now I carry a titanium spork. It cuts food, it spears food and I can open a bottle of beer with it.

Now I run gear nights before we go away and we work out what we need and what we don't. And we do it together so we make sure we only take one can opener etc.

D

D3adkl0wn

thanks for the suggestions guys, when i get a chance i'll post a list as requested to see what you guys think i ca do without.. currently at work so i cant really get a good idea of what i have in there

Dormouse

Tenderfoot
Jul 15, 2010
UK
Websites focussing on lightweight and ultra-lightweight backpacking will give you some good info an specific product suggestions. The Hints and Tips section of BackpackingLight.Com for eg. I've found very helpful.http://backpackinglight.co.uk/page129.asp

Not everything in modern technical materials is bright yellow or luminous purple - though a lot still is for some stupid reason!

I've had to go to modern lightweight products through necessity. Although I'm pretty strong for a small female, objectively I'm a weedy weakling. As a result, though I love traditional/natural materials and so on I have to compromise. Keeping such things for a day out only when I need very little kit or when I'm more car-based. Overnight and longer on foot sees me weighing everything and cutting the handles off of toothbrushes to save grams!

A thorough examination of your kit list , as well as showing where you can cut out stuff altogether, should reveal areas where lighterweight alternatives are possible.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE