No Knead bread Recipe as promised

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Earthgirl

Forager
Nov 7, 2012
Wales
Hello folks, sorry if this is just another bread recipe but I promised a couple of people at the Moot that I would post the bread recipe we made :)

IMG_9055_zpsed67304f.jpg

3 cups of bread flour
1/4 tsp dried yeast
3/4 tsp salt
approx 1 1/3 cup of water

Add all ingredients to a bowl and mix to just form a dough.
Cover with cling film and forget for 12-18 hrs

The next day, coax the mix out of the bowl and gently knead with more bread flour until it forms a ball. I cheated and placed the formed ball onto baking parchment and put back into the bowl for a further 2-4 hrs to rise again.

Pre heat your dutch oven (or cast iron casserole dish with lid ) in your own oven at home gas mk 6 for 20-30 mins, or while the oven is warming up.

Lift your bread on the baking parchment and drop straight into the pre-heated dutch oven, replace the lid and cook for 40mins, then remove the lid for the last 15mins to crisp up the crust.

The picture you can see was one of the 2 loaves I made to share for the "one pot meal"

For anyone that is interested this loaf took just over an hr to cook using the ambient heat from the medieval fire Neil kindly let me construct with the last 15mins of cooking time using hots coals we placed on top of the dutch oven to brown the crust :)

it really was a working cooking range that we constructed, it cooked 2 dutch ovens of bread, 2 ponassed whole salmon, cooked a pan full of venison stock ready for 2 different caldrons and dutch ovens of venison casseroles, boiled a kettle for the starting process of tanning the deer hide, fried a skillet full of tasty venison pieces, and provided the coals that barbecued the mackeral stuffed with foraged sea lettuce and shrimp.

IMG_9060_zps362538e0.jpg

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
Thanks very much for this
The bread is excellent and well worth the effort IMO
Will definitely be trying this myself

DocG

Dec 20, 2013
Moray
Thanks for sharing. I had my first go with a dutch oven at Scout camp and produced a "solid" loaf that proved the oven could bake but revealed the need to develop my skills. The pictures also help about the size of fire needed - my other failing.
All the best.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I wasn't there but thank you for posting it up. Have added it to my recipe collection to try (hope you don't mind) Will be giving it a go @ Comrie Croft at the end of the month.
Cheers,
GB.

Earthgirl

Forager
Nov 7, 2012
Wales
Thank you all for your kind comments.. :)

Many thanks for the recipe Jen. It really was ace bread you baked for us to go with Neil's meatloaf and the veggy stew.

Neil is a good teacher and I paid attention and learned a lot:eek:

Couple of points if that's ok :)
Your fire does not need to be as wide as this one, and long straight wood was placed in the base to stop the heat disappearing into the ground.
Bank your fire on 3 sides, you want heat not flames. The picture showed the fire opened up to cook the salmon and boil the kettle.
Keep placing the logs on top to stop the flames until the desired height is reached then cover with earth or sand (depends where you make your fire) to produce the heat ( a bit like making charcoal) and don't forget to turn your dutch oven a quarter turn every 3 or 4 mins to prevent burning, before you put your coals on top for the last 15mins of cooking to produce the crust. We found no coals were required underneath using this method...

Using this method produced lovely loaves on both days. I pity the poor folk that had to cook continuously on this type of fire back in the day, 4 or 5 hrs was more than enough for me ;)

I hope this makes sense :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE