Newfoundland / Canada

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
D

deezee_uk

I'm travelling to Newfoundland in June for 3 weeks, and intend to do a hell of a lot of hiking / camping / bushcraft. Does anyone have any experience of travelling to north america with regards to customs?
A colleague at work travels a lot and i've been informed that customs can be a nightmare. Although all the foot and mouth washes have been taken out, you still have heavy restrictions on clothing that has been on agricultural land!!!
He also believes my axe / Knife may be taken off me as they have a habit of taking wood, incase its infected with insects/mites etc?

Anyone know if this is the case, or just scare mongering?

John Dixon

Forager
May 2, 2006
Cheshire
I have been back and to from canada over the last year about 5 times had no problems with my tools, if asked i would just say they are for a back country trip... you will be asked to notify them if you have been on a farm/agricultural property recently. Unless you live on a farm i dont think it would realy aply. but that was just my logic.

loz.

Settler
Sep 12, 2006
Dublin,Ireland
www.craobhcuigdeag.org
I flew into St Johns a few years ago for work - took a toolbox and rolls of cable, no issue at all. - wasn't even checked.

Not sure about canada though.

Small Tip - Newfies don't like to be called Canadian !
Small Tip 2 - Theres a strip club on the main street near the Holiday Inn - Avoid.

Marts

Native
May 5, 2005
London
I flew into Nova Scotia late last year with a couple of knives, saw and Small forest axe in my pack. I had no problems at all.

D

deezee_uk

Great guys, thanks. I was getting worried. My main concern is just how much stuff do I take? versus how much should I buy when I'm out there? This will be my first international trip. I mean i've been to Europe (denmark, switzerland) but its just airport security in europe rather than customs, and I don't want to make an idiot of myself in St Johns.

What would you fella's get when your out there? rather than taking it on the plane?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE