Wild Food Photo Tip

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
I caught part of an item on French TV last month about a guy travelling through France living off wild foods which many members would have found of interest.

In his early 40s he had decided to change his life and walk through France living off wild food and promoting this to others as he went. When the programme caught up with him, he had been on the road for eight months. He was on foot with a man haul trailer and mostly hammocked while wild camping or staying on farms. He gave talks and demonstrations to rural communities and village schools about how he survived on wild foods and surplus produce given to him by people with whom he stayed. I got the impression that trapping was not part of his agenda although I think fishing and shellfish gathering were.

As I know from my own experience, rural French people often know a lot about foraging for wild food and will often share knowledge about local sources with like-minded people. This guy was often shown new plants and sources during the course of his talks and guided walks. He was aware of his own knowledge and ignorance particularly where fungi was concerned.

One tip in particular struck me and I thought it worth sharing. Whenever he came across an edible plant new to him, he took several photos of it as follows:-

1 A close up showing details of the plant so he could cross reference it in an identification book.
2 A close up of any similar plants growing nearby with which it may be confused
3 A wide shot showing the environment in which the plant was growing showing other plants and the general environment so that a similar habitat elsewhere could be investigated This also indicated the season in which the photo was taken.

He made the point that his photo record provided a quick data base and aide-memoire.

I'd like to know more about this chap and his wanderings and hope he may pop up on YouTube or elsewhere. If anyone else knows anything about him and his adventures, please share.

Reactions: Robson Valley

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
What you will find in academic plant taxonomy text books is that all parts of the plant are required for a correct identification.
Of great importance are the flowers and the fruits, then the stems, phyllotaxy and maybe the leaf margins. Possibly roots.
I taught plant identification for decades as reflected in landscape site conditions such as wet/dry, rich/poor and so on.

In some cases, this is the difference between living and dying. Maybe such confusions don't exist in France.
I must admit that the knowledge, the familiarity is really nice to use, walking in a landscape.

Imagine walking several miles out onto a wind-swept river delta flood plane. Half way to the middle of nowhere.
There, you realize that you are standing in a grove of Pacific crap apple trees (native), planted in rows.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE