Newbie shopping ... Laugh at my choices

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Col.Decker

Apr 23, 2014
Newport, Shropshire
Evening all. So I've had myself a bit of a shopping trip via the t'internet. Here's wot I got

aduhabuz.jpg

A couple of spirit burners
A stand for said spirit burner
A woodgas stove
A cuddly toy (not shown)
A knife by you know who
Some paracord

Next months payday will be tent flavoured :)

Last edited:

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Show us the cuddly toy! ... it has to be better than the knife :)
OK - that may not be true - nowt really wrong about your choices ... though ... I think you could have done better than the knife.
OK, erm... I personally don't like the knife but I do like Trangia Triangles ... and cuddly toys :)
Not keen on tents these days either - they block the sights and sounds I get out there for ... though if you are on a campsite the blocking of sight and sound can be advantageous...
It is officially past my bedtime - it has been a long day... enjoy your purchases (I have over 100 cuddly toys in my room - not counting the wife - and they are all mine!

Nohoval_Turrets

Sep 28, 2004
Ireland
Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha...

Oh wait, I've got a lot of the same stuff!

The woodgas stove is great, particularily run on woodchips - runs for ages. Triangle and trangia is great, but I think the ClikStand is better still - it can incorporate a windshield.

And anything with BG on it... but I'm sure it's a fine knife.

Disruptive Pattern

Tenderfoot
Apr 25, 2014
East Coast
Looks like a great start to me, been toying with the idea of getting myself one of those woodgas stoves. Ment to be pretty good.
When you thinking on field testing it. Like to know how you get on.

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Looks good to me mate, all you need now is something to sleep in/under! ;)

Despite the hate the online community has for the knife, it's actually only because of its sponsor being...himself. The knife is often saidnto be rather usable and pretty tough. It wouldn't be my choice, but I'll do you just fine.

Feb 18, 2012
Bedfordshire
Good luck mate, I have made far worse purchases than the bg knife, I hope you get the tent/shelter that you need. I for one am glad of this forum, its saved me money and made spend money too! :)

Col.Decker

Apr 23, 2014
Newport, Shropshire
Looks like a great start to me, been toying with the idea of getting myself one of those woodgas stoves. Ment to be pretty good.
When you thinking on field testing it. Like to know how you get on.

I gave it 'at home' test last night. It worked really well on the left over chilli I was warming up :D

I need to work on my fire lighting though. Ended up using matches and paraffin blocks (ssssh don't tell anyone)

Col.Decker

Apr 23, 2014
Newport, Shropshire
I quite like the knife atm to be honest, but do see why some have issues with it / him. I reckon I'll stick with it for a while until I figure our what I need in a knife. Then maybe it'll get relegated to the tool box. Or maybe I'll start collecting them .... I'm sure nobody on here has just one knife ... right?!?

Blaidd

Nomad
Jun 23, 2013
UK
Nice stuff. I quite like the knife. Its long enough and thick enough to do a lot of jobs. Everything's good, though for paracord you might try surplus or online for cheaper. :bigok:

P.S. cotton wool smeared with Vaseline/chapstick has always worked for me when it comes to lighting fires.

Last edited:

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
My only issue with your choices, is the BG knife, for that money you could have had a Mora robust. Like the looks of the woodgas stove. :bigok:

Much as I've been impressed with the Robust, there's nothing wrong with the BG Gerbers. The Compact is up there with the greats, far better than a Mora IMO.

i want to see the cuddly toy :)

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
001.jpgJust so the OP does not think he is all alone with the cuddly toy fetish - here is some of my personal collection, guarding my Bushcraft Betty collection and fermenting wine...
also a shot of some of my knives in sympathy with his ambition to gain more knives....002.jpg

Disruptive Pattern

Tenderfoot
Apr 25, 2014
East Coast
I gave it 'at home' test last night. It worked really well on the left over chilli I was warming up :D

I need to work on my fire lighting though. Ended up using matches and paraffin blocks (ssssh don't tell anyone)
:yikes:

I have to admit i have been using a jet lighter up until a few weeks ago, i still carry it as a back up.
But now only use a firesteel and try to get a fire going with only what you can find around you when your out and about. I carry a fire making kit in a plastic box, firesteel, tinder, strips of rubber, cotton soaked in linseed oil, birch bark and a couple of used Stanley blades. Going to have a go some time soon at making some char cloth.
If your wondering why the Stanley blades i use them to get the sparks on the firesteel they work really well, loads better than the striker that came with it.

One day the bow method perhaps.

I carry a Gerber Metolius folder in my rucksack for a backup, i really like that knife its decent enough quality, good grippy handle and has served me well. I cant comment on the BG range, but if its made by Gerber it cant be all that bad.

Last edited:

Huon

Native
May 12, 2004
Spain
I think Nice65 is spot on. I've heard nothing bad about the BG from people who've actually used it. I'd be interested to hear JonathanD's views.

Snobbery aside, I wouldn't mind trying one myself :)

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Much as I've been impressed with the Robust, there's nothing wrong with the BG Gerbers.

....other than the fact that there has been more than one recall due to the extremely low manufacturing standards and failures in use.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE