New spider friend

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

calibanzwei

Settler
Jan 7, 2009
Warrington, UK
Clearing out the garden over the weekend and made friends with this little beauty - Tegenaria duellica (Giant House Spider) I believe:

Spider%252520fun.jpg

Photo0668E001E001.jpg

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
eeww! ;) pretty little thing really.

how often do our native spiders actually bite? I've been bitten once by a spider when I was young and have only heard of two other spider bites here.

calibanzwei

Settler
Jan 7, 2009
Warrington, UK
I've read that only one species of UK spider that actually bites is the Woodlouse Spider - not poisonous, but has the jaws to be able to inflict some pain!

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
I've read that only one species of UK spider that actually bites is the Woodlouse Spider - not poisonous, but has the jaws to be able to inflict some pain!

I know about the woodlouse spider, pink with massive fangs! eekk! The one that bit me was black and had thick legs and a stout body, it was a long time ago but it hurt and scared me off from touching spiders..

A guy I knew was out one night and later on collapsed, the doctors said it was a spider bite that caused it and his arm swelled up loads where he was bitten. He doesn't remember being bitten but it must have been an allergic reaction..

Nohoval_Turrets

Sep 28, 2004
Ireland
Supposedly the house spider (tegenaria domestica) is capable of biting humans, but I've never known it happen. I've handled loads of them.

calibanzwei

Settler
Jan 7, 2009
Warrington, UK
I don't normally handle the big ones, but decided to break this self induced... not fear, but dislike...
Fast jumpy ones, like Zebra spiders still give me the heebee-jeebees though :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE