New RayMears tracking course announced...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Firelite

Forager
Feb 25, 2010
bedfordshire
I got an e-mail today saying that Mr Mears will be lecturing on an advanced tracking course at woodlore. No connections etc, and I would give it a go, but its 1500notes for the week. Does anybody know how this would compare with other "advanced" tracking courses of similar duration?:confused:

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Linky here for other folks to have a look at and having had a look at the course content it sounds probably the same sort of content but without RM lecturing to put the price up... and for £1500 I would have expected them to have fed you but at least they're providing a shower and toilet block :rolleyes:

Last edited:

toilet digger

Native
Jan 26, 2011
burradon northumberland
self catering, 1500 beans?

£435 return flight to nairobi, say £500 accomadation and board for a fortnight and the rest to procure the services of a proffesional tracker to be mentored by.
but will there be a fruit bowl?:)

Pablo

Settler
Oct 10, 2005
Essex, UK
www.woodlife.co.uk
I went to Namibia for 10 days a learnt tracking from the bushmen for not much more than this. Sorry Ray, I admire your bushcraft skills, but tracking skills and at this price...?

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
The more I think about it the more I think that tracking, as a word, conjures up the wrong idea. It implies that you are literally following the creature step by step in order to spot it when in fact what you need to do is know about its behaviour - feeding habits, preferred environment, social structure, life cycle, primary senses, knowledge of the terrain and anything else I've probably missed at this time - I'd much rather see it classified it as "interpreting field sign".

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
The more I think about it the more I think that tracking, as a word, conjures up the wrong idea. It implies that you are literally following the creature step by step in order to spot it when in fact what you need to do is know about its behaviour - feeding habits, preferred environment, social structure, life cycle, primary senses, knowledge of the terrain and anything else I've probably missed at this time - I'd much rather see it classified it as "interpreting field sign".

That is pretty much spot on. It is more about knowing about the animal and the environment than about the trace signs themselves.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire

That's the stuff you learn on day one in the classroom, that's how Woody went about teaching us before any of us started looking for tracks

Pablo

Settler
Oct 10, 2005
Essex, UK
www.woodlife.co.uk
That is pretty much spot on. It is more about knowing about the animal and the environment than about the trace signs themselves.

You guys are both right, it's a bit of a misnomer but it's up to the person "tracking" to decide what they want to do with what they find. Also don't forget tracking is not just about the footprints or paw prints. It's about all the evidence you come across like feeding sign, scat etc and (as JD says), interaction with the environment.

We teach that you can spend literally hours on a 100 meter stretch interpreting every single piece of evidence for the hell of it, or you can ignore great chunks of evidence using just the occasional piece as a check and try and second guess your quarry to catch up with it as per stalking / hunting. It's up to you really. There's no real definition.

Copenhagen

Apr 22, 2012
UK
I got an e-mail today saying that Mr Mears will be lecturing on an advanced tracking course at woodlore. No connections etc, and I would give it a go, but its 1500notes for the week. Does anybody know how this would compare with other "advanced" tracking courses of similar duration?:confused:

Well I've booked up a course to Namibia for 10 days, and am going in October. A lot of people like to be disdainful when it comes to spending money on a R.M. course or knife etc. Frankly, the man has done more for publicising British Bushcraft than anyone else in the country. If people are upset he may have earned a few quid along the way, well "What have you done?" ..... Has he got a Lear Jet? I hope not, they are naff, but if he can afford one, good on him. So many bitter people think that they are something special because they don't have two pennies to rub together. They are not. No better, no worse than any one else, but the bitterness to those who have chosen to make money and play along with this society, yet still maintain their love of the wild... well, they are better at the game than the others then. If you choose to "opt out" then go for it, but leave R.M. and the rest to get on with what they do without the holier than thou bull, that I keep reading. I for one am happy to give R.M., David Attenborough, etc.etc. my money. They offer more than many in the public, to society, and thanks to them, the rest of us get the information and lifestyle enhancement they promote. In short - if you have the money, book the course, buy his knife, and when you're there say thanks to him for opening the eyes of the masses. And as for the naysayers, well... thats just sour grapes.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE