Newbie seeks multiday basic-to-advanced survival course in UK. Recommendations?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Stevenjdowd

Sep 22, 2014
London
Oddly my brother and I exchanged pressies this Xmas to find we'd got the same SAS survival guide. Very wierd!
Excited/inspired by the new book and a prior general interest (although no deep experience in) bushcraft, we are now looking to book a multi-day survival course in the UK to learn/practice some survival skills. Probably 5 days.

There seem to be a few courses running but websites are no indication of quality and the hype around Mears or Grylls, let alone the hiked cost, makes me suspicious of value. I think a smallish group surviving in the woods led by an experienced chap/chapess or two who can teach the basics (shelter, food, water, fire etc) and some of the more advanced tips/tricks would suit us both well. Doesn't have to be highly structured, just varied and interesting topics. Aware of the benefits of organised/insured/kitted out businesses, I'm not totally averse to meeting up with some knowledagble independent willing to give private lessons for a long 4-5 day weekend.

What courses have you done and who do you rate:confused: All advice welcome. Thanks in advance.

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
Before coughing up good money get to one or two of your local meets or travel if you need to get to one.
You will be surprised how much knowledge can be had for free. This will also give you an idea if you want to go the route of a course or teach yourself the skills. learning yourself and by trail and error is all part of the learning curve.

After this I would then look for companies that do structured courses and decide what you want from it and which one suits your needs.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Before coughing up good money get to one or two of your local meets or travel if you need to get to one.
You will be surprised how much knowledge can be had for free. This will also give you an idea if you want to go the route of a course or teach yourself the skills. learning yourself and by trail and error is all part of the learning curve.

After this I would then look for companies that do structured courses and decide what you want from it and which one suits your needs.

Very sound advice there, I couldn't agree more.

Mick721

Oct 29, 2012
Sunderland
Is it a survival course you want to do or a bushcraft course? The two share similarities but are different 'disciplines'.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK

Best advice I've seen on here for ages!

ATB

Ogri the trog

Broomstickize

Forager
Jul 28, 2011
Suffolk, UK
If you want a course recommendation then I can recommend Woodsmoke. They run a very good value 1 week course (Woodlander) that covers a lot of the basics. I did this before knowing much about the subject, so it was a good introduction.

There's a LOT to be said for getting out with some people and netting some skills. If nothing else it's the cheapest way of starting up... and everyone I've met from this forum has been spot on.

From my experience, I'd say theres's a good case to get out with people and use paid courses to enhance or fill skill gaps. For example you can pick or choose a specific course or go in at a more advanced level (e.g. the endless possibilities for single skill weekenders or day. Also, Woodsmoke have a more advanced course I think they let people on without having been on a Woodlander - needs checking though).

There's nothing wrong with taking a course first. I think it cemented my desire to get out more.

On balance, my impression is that it comes down to what you want out of 'it' (it being bushcraft). If you want to practice the skills seriously then I'd get out there - you learn while you enjoy weekends away and book courses based on your interests. If you are time poor or only want to be able to get an idea about the subject then a week long course could be a good spring-board.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

crusoesisland

Apr 7, 2013
south west
Check out these SERE guys on youtube they run: desert, jungle, temperate and arctic courses for the military. chalkster29, survivalwisdom and crusoesisland. Drop them an email via the tube and they will reply. All training will be delivered to suit your own needs.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE