New knife.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Trunks

May 31, 2008
Haworth
Got the laser-cut template back :)

No scales yet, but just playing with different grips.

IMG_0428.jpg

IMG_0434.jpg

IMG_0435.jpg

IMG_0433.jpg

Cheers

Trunks

May 31, 2008
Haworth
After playing around with Milliput, i have a rough handle shape.

It might look bulky but it fits my size hands perfectly. Once the Milliput has hardened i will smooth & refine the shaping.

My thoughts so far:
All my previous knives had pretty uniformly shaped scales, so squidging a mailable epoxy putty around the blank really showed up how i grip a knife. Looking at the handle i have created, it seems my hand is made for big butts!

IMG_0439.jpg

IMG_0443.jpg

IMG_0442.jpg

IMG_0438.jpg

Again, any comments are most welcome.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
The malleable slabs are a great idea, I used clay when I was experimenting. It's surprising how different the finished shape is different to your first ideas. It's definately the best way in getting the perfect slab shapes for your own hand.

Trunks

May 31, 2008
Haworth
I played with the clay 1st, but kept on wrecking it when I picked it up again, hamfisted oaf I am :)

The milliput - being epoxy putty, at least sets hard after a few hours - so I can mess about with it :)

ex-member Raikey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 4, 2010
love the shape James,...

uncanny tho,....

not a concious thing i swear but this evolved over a week in the shed, (the bottom one),..

its for my comp givaway,...maybe i had your thread somewhere deep in mind when i kept grinding.....

sorry,...lol.....i threw the template away tho,....hahah

IMG00683-20110220-1554.jpg

Trunks

May 31, 2008
Haworth
love the shape James,...

uncanny tho,....

not a concious thing i swear but this evolved over a week in the shed, (the bottom one),..

its for my comp givaway,...maybe i had your thread somewhere deep in mind when i kept grinding.....

sorry,...lol.....i threw the template away tho,....hahah

IMG00683-20110220-1554.jpg

Haha, no worries fella :) it not really my design in the first place, but an evolution based on one by Stu Barker.

Yours look great too, can't wait to see them when they're done.

Trunks

May 31, 2008
Haworth
Cool :)
I'm going to the portland st works openday on the 6th March. Can't wait to see how it's all done :)

Trunks

May 31, 2008
Haworth
Well, I went to see Stu on March 6th. It was so much easier discussing options etc face to face.

As well as the mock-up, i left Stu with my sketch of the handle profiling around the finger area.

IMG_0459.jpg

Now, i just have to sit here and count the days till i can get my grubby mitts on it :)

Trunks

May 31, 2008
Haworth
When i went to the open day, Stu had one of your old blanks on show. Even without the scales on it felt a good size for my grip - almost made me think twice about my design :)

Is your new one the 7mm version?

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
When i went to the open day, Stu had one of your old blanks on show. Even without the scales on it felt a good size for my grip - almost made me think twice about my design :)

Is your new one the 7mm version?

It's the 5/6mm damascus Stu is currently working on. There is a 7mm in the works, which is an experiment to make the thumb ramp wider. After that, the blade will taper to a 5mm spine and then tapering down to a flat grind. The thickest part will be the tang area and ramp up at the spine. A real test of Stu's skill that'll be, as I've never known anyone do that before.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE