What is it with 'real' khukuris ?

  • The awesome MakerMoot is coming up (13-15th Nov 2026), Visit the TORM & ARM markets,and have space back at camp to work on projects and enjoy great company. PLEASE CLICK HERE for more information.

Longstrider

Maker Plus
Sep 6, 2005
1,077
152
61
South Northants
Having just posted (well, yesterday) another khukuri back to it's owner with a new edge on it I'm left wondering about them. I'm not talking about western copies of the design a-la Cold Steel and the like, but the 'real thing'.
I'm aware of the history of the Kuk and it's endemic usage on it's home turf where the hills grow big. I well know about the way the blade-shape can increase cutting efficiency in some applications and the advantages that some users see in it, but hells bells they're horrible things ! :lol: Now, I know I have hands like hams with sausages attached for fingers, but the tradition handle shape is awful ! I've met a few Nepalese and I know they tend to be somewhat smaller than me (to put it mildly ;) ) but I still cannot understand how anyone can use one of those things for hours of work without shredding their hands.
I'd say that 99% of the kuks I've come across have been soft. Really soft. I know this makes them easier to fettle back to a semblance of an edge with the accompanying chakmak, but it also makes the things go dull at a silly rate. Now .. the Nepalese aren't daft. Many of them have to make what they need from what they have, I know, but why not use better steel for their blades (or heat treat it better) and put more comfortable handles on them ? Perhaps it's that most of the khukuris I see are 'Tourist Trade Tat', but I'm not so sure. I know a good few of them cost a pretty penny .. and they were no better.
I own a couple, given to me as gifts over the years. One is definitely TTT (see above), but the other was bought by a family member who was, at the time living in Kathmandu, working 'in the field' with locals so I hoped it might be better. They're as horrible as each other :lol:

I own an Enep from Northern Thailand, a blade of a very similar design made for a pretty-much identical sort of job. I traded for it with a man who was out with his elephant cutting fodder for his animals, well, well off the beaten tourist-y routes. (He made me wait until he had enough greenery cut before doing the trade.) It has an integral hollow steel handle and was very obviously made from some other agricultural tool by either him or a local village blacksmith. Whilst it's no example of high-end powder metallurgy it's better steel than any khukuri I'm yet to come across, and it's more comfortable in the hand.
If a poor villager from Northern Thailand knows a good tool when he sees it, how come they're still making and using the same old khukuris in Nepal ?

I know there are one or two fans of the khukuri dwelling here in BCUK-land, and I'm looking straight at one in particular, but please ... what do you see in them that I don't ? I'm happy to be educated if I'm way off the mark. Honest I am :)
 
Yep, agreed. Ignoring the cheap steel - the handles are awful! Bonus is that I’ve had a few rehandles sent over the years but surely the makers see it.

Some of the better ones aren’t too bad but that centre ring is not good. Are they actually designed to be used with a loose grip?
 
Some of the better ones aren’t too bad but that centre ring is not good. Are they actually designed to be used with a loose grip?
This. Minimal grip sufficient to guide the blow and using the handle swell to prevent it from leaving your hand. The rings maybe be for increased grip for gentle work?

Here's one of the smaller ones I saw in use. No rings.

Screenshot_20260927-162644.png
 
Most Khukris (post 1945) are usually made from ok steel, especially if army issued working ones but the heat treat is xxxx, most being made manually by eye in coal forged.

Given that they are multi purpose machetes they are really designed for brush work not felling trees (which a lot of people try to do) but even the Nepalese use their own Banchero (hatchet\axe) for such work, the steel is adequate.

The exported Khukri's are also nearly of all the West Nepalese design (wide blade).

As to the handle, the ridge is often less pronounced or even absent in the working khukri's but is enlarged in the ceremonial ones or touristy ones (of which the latter two make up 95% of Khukris in the West). The working khukri's are not often exported.

Saying that, a rehandle improves the working experience massively and due to rat tail tang often easy to do.
 
  • Like
Reactions: HorseGuy and CLEM

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE