New knife.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Trunks

May 31, 2008
Haworth
Duncan, Jonathan, I'd not thought of increasing the thickness of the blade - that makes alot more sense now.
Thanks for bearing with me chaps, I'm enjoying this :)

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Depends what you are doing Jon. A long sweeping curve bites well, extending the tip gives a sharper point. In reality if you overlay that design, very little is changed other than a tip extension and longer cutting edge.

I guess comparing our current knives show a diffence in taste and use - thats fine though. I like a finer, more slicing oriented design - but I use an axe for impact cutting

That is true Red, our personal knives are like chalk and cheese. At the moment the fatter drop point with wider blade plays to my tastes more, while the upswept design would certainly be more appealing to yours.

Last edited:

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Not having had the opportunity to hold the original knife makes it difficult to judge, but to me the handle could be meatier. My hands are on the large side too, I much prefer something bulky to get hold of and I think it gives better control of the angle of attack on the work. It's interesting to see Red and Jonathan comparing their personal tastes. :)

Just an observation, when it comes to the sheath, I'd want to lose the fastener if at all possible.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Ged, you make a good point. I've just spent the last few days going back and forth with Rob Bayley on a new knife design. I only really made any headway into what I wanted by making some mock ups in cardboard, which ultimately led to an end reult and final decision. It might be the way to go with this too. Only takes a few minutes to mock them up from some thick card.

Trunks

May 31, 2008
Haworth
Ged, you make a good point. I've just spent the last few days going back and forth with Rob Bayley on a new knife design. I only really made any headway into what I wanted by making some mock ups in cardboard, which ultimately led to an end reult and final decision. It might be the way to go with this too. Only takes a few minutes to mock them up from some thick card.

Indeed, that's what i have done with the ones with the black background - cut out of white 4mm art mounting board :)

I suppose my next step is to laser cut some out of perspex and play with some clay to get the handle shape right. Ged you're right, it needs to be meatier for me a bit like my enzo i made:

enzo2.jpg

As for the sheath, the quality of Rapidboys was second to none, but i like the quirkiness of the one Rich (Blacksheep) made for me, see below :)

enzo5.jpg

Then i suppose i need to identify the scales material :yikes:

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
... it needs to be meatier for me a bit like my enzo i made:

Oh I say, that's nice. :)

As for the sheath, the quality of Rapidboys was second to none, but i like the quirkiness of the one Rich (Blacksheep) made for me...

Hrm, a bit too quirky for my taste I'm afraid but it does look like very good work.

So what scales then? :pokenest:

Trunks

May 31, 2008
Haworth
Oh I say, that's nice. :)

Cheers, i really enjoyed making it, the carbon fibre scales were... Interesting to work with :)

So what scales then? :pokenest:

Argggghhhhhh!!

Actually i loved the desert ironwood i had on the last knife, but fancy something a bit different. If i could afford it i'd go for Mammoth molar from Brisa!

molar5.jpg

trappermolar3.jpg

he he he :cool:

Trunks

May 31, 2008
Haworth
Thanks for your thoughts Stew, I'm now looking at either antler/horn or mammoth ivory, something like these:

005.jpg

431192536_aKRZz-O.jpg

Trunks

May 31, 2008
Haworth
Just thinking about which steel now!

Have had 01 in the past and found it to be quite good, but would love to hear anyone's thoughts or experiences with the SF77 treated & quenched as used on many Stu Mitchell blades.

Thanks

Xunil

Settler
Jan 21, 2006
North East UK
www.bladesmith.co.uk
If it's the SF77 steel I know of it's absolute rubbish. It has so little carbon in it (0.53%) without the supporting elements that might otherwise make it a better performer there is barely enough to harden the blade.

SF100 and SF77 are about on a level with 440A.

If you want stainless go for one of the better modern particle melt alloys that can hold a great edge.

If you like carbon the O1 is good, and A2 is quite a bit better. D2 is great in the right hands but it's a bugger to sharpen by comparison.

I wouldn't thank you for a knife made from SF77. I was so unimpressed with it when I bought some years ago that I used it for guards and bolsters rather than as blade material and I know of at least two other knifemakers who have a similar opinion of it.

S30V, 12C27, 154CM or RWL34 on the other hand...

What are you intending the knife to be used for ?

Last edited:

Trunks

May 31, 2008
Haworth
What are you intending the knife to be used for ?

Just for general camp-craft really, feathering, battoning, food prep etc but could be put to hard use if required.

i'm just after something that will stand up to some abuse, stay pretty rust free, not chip and hold a great edge. Asking a lot i know :)

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Just for general camp-craft really, feathering, battoning, food prep etc but could be put to hard use if required.

i'm just after something that will stand up to some abuse, stay pretty rust free, not chip and hold a great edge. Asking a lot i know :)

Not at all, RWL-34 will do all that very very well.

Trunks

May 31, 2008
Haworth
After a while of inactivity on my part, things are moving again :)

I'm getting a couple of blade blanks laser cut from acrylic tomorrow at work - so I'll get chance to play over the weekend :)

What are your thoughts on the "balance" of a knife? Should it be slightly blade end heavy?

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
What are your thoughts on the "balance" of a knife? Should it be slightly blade end heavy?

I like mine handle heavy. That way they don't pivot and fight your grip but naturally lie in it. Less tiring over long term use and more secure and safe too.

Trunks

May 31, 2008
Haworth
Thanks gents :)

I'm going to see Stu at the Portland Works open day, so it will be out of my hands then.

Will post pics of the prototype before it goes off though.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE