New Axe- help me decide

Barney

Settler
Aug 15, 2008
Lancashire
When I decided that I needed an axe for general camp duties. I cannot for the life of me remember what lead me to that conclusion. I read all the posts concerning axe's that were listed here and at British Blades and independant reviews, I came to the conclusion that equipment manufactured by Gransfors Brooks were the most highly regarded. So I trundled off to their web sight and watched a few of the videos there concerning the manufacture of axes, read a little about the people in the town who make them and then spent some More time reading about the father and son tradition within the company, I liked what I read.
Further delving lead me to consider that GB use the highest quality materials available in both steel and wood and that they are largley hand made, the tradesman who makes the axe personally guarantees the axe against defects or failure in everyday use. He is proud of his work.

The axe is starting to get a lot of plus points:

The people who own it are proud of it
The people who use axes say they are one of the best
The people that make them are proud of them enough to put their initial to it.
The manufacturing process is well documented and proven
The materials used are top drawer.

On the strength of the research above, following on from good general advice, I bought a Small Forest Axe. I now add myself to list of proud owner and user.

I may be in the minority in thinking that these bushcrafting forums generally give good advice and are not out to give folk duff info regarding gear

and if that info is acted upon?

well thats the point isnt it?

johnnytheboy

Native
Aug 21, 2007
Falkirk
jokesblogspot.blogspot.com
I'll get lynched for this but my experince with the gransfors wasn't the same barney, i also found that allot of people who buy them aren't using them allot, there seem to be allot of gadget collecters about, who can blame them i love gadgets but to pay £45 for a gransfors axe to use 10 or 12 times a year seems excessive when a cheaper one will do just as well. I use my two axes every day and the one i got for free from a guy at work is as good as the gransfors axe or the estwing one i bought. All be it its no good for your street cred in the bushcraft circles. The thing is if you have the cash then who cares

The thing is, as oz says its your skill that really matters

saddle_tramp

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 13, 2008
West Cornwall
You might well get lynched jonny . . . but not by me

If i were looking to spend £50 on an axe, i wouldnt post on here asking what axe i needed, id know exactly what i wanted the axe to do, and how spending that amount would get me the features, design and quality that i wasnt getting with my cheap or old axe. But people dont seem to think that way anymore. I cant really advise on axes, i dont really use them enough. and so im happy with my old rehandled chipchop.

I do a lot of fishing, and theres a famous saying that the fisherman here will have no doubt heard. . about the majority of kit in the tackle shop, being less about catching fish, and more about catching anglers. . . im sure thats true with bushcrafting too.

you can spend a fortune and be the best kitted out guy in the woods, but no amount spent bypasses the skills. . . and until those skills are in place, youre unlikely to know what kind of knife, axe, clothing. . . . rod or reel suits you best, and the features that spending extra provide, if they dont suit you, its money wasted.

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
There must a bit of a rebel in me somewhere! After I had read about the good reviews of the Granfors, I went and bought a Roselli:

axe850.jpg

Hardly anyone in Bushcraft seem to use one. I can't see why: I think its a superb little axe, the best at splitting wood, I can hold the head and "plane" wood, I have sharpened it so I could almost shave with it.

Then, I recently bought a hand forged little hatchet from America. Cost me a fortune! But it's a absolute little beauty and I love it. I can keep it in my bag, it's light and very sharp. I need to use it more though, to learn how good or otherwise it is.

a-g14-1.jpg

I also use an old nameless axe I found in the woods some years ago. It needs a new handle, and I think I am going to have to make one soon as the head is rather loose!

At the end of the day, they are tools, probably no better or worse than others. It's just what I have and I like to use them.

Barney

Settler
Aug 15, 2008
Lancashire
I'll get lynched for this but my experince with the gransfors wasn't the same barney, i also found that allot of people who buy them aren't using them allot, there seem to be allot of gadget collecters about, who can blame them i love gadgets but to pay £45 for a gransfors axe to use 10 or 12 times a year seems excessive when a cheaper one will do just as well. I use my two axes every day and the one i got for free from a guy at work is as good as the gransfors axe or the estwing one i bought. All be it its no good for your street cred in the bushcraft circles. The thing is if you have the cash then who cares

The thing is, as oz says its your skill that really matters
Johnnytheboy,
its not my fault that your research is not as thorough as mine!

regarding your secondary comments about gadget collectors.

Much as I am loathe to concede,:lmao:, you are in principle correct. I have sat round a camp fire knowing there is grands worth of axes there, yet there is only me collecting and chopping wood.

I have sat Round a fire knowing that there is ten ten grands worth of knife there and yet there is only me battoning wood for the fire.

I have sat by the side of the fire while i look at the kit that does not get used, THAT IS JUST THE WAY OF THE WORLD.

IT DOES NOT DETRACT FROM THE QUALITY OF THE EQUIPMENT UNDER REVIEW.

:lmao:

wicca

Native
Oct 19, 2008
South Coast
I saw some of those Wetterling axes on Heinnie Haynes is it? Have a look there Wilderbeast if you want a posh axe. I got a good deal at a local Steam Fair £2, chops wood. :D :D

Barney

Settler
Aug 15, 2008
Lancashire
I saw some of those Wetterling axes on Heinnie Haynes is it? Have a look there Wilderbeast if you want a posh axe. I got a good deal at a local Steam Fair £2, chops wood. :D :D

COMMISIONER just buy a Mora six quid, why do you need a fancy knife " just how you picture it"

WILL YOU EVER USE IT?

johnnytheboy

Native
Aug 21, 2007
Falkirk
jokesblogspot.blogspot.com
Your right barney it doesn't detract from the quality of kit on review at all, the problem is that if you are the only one actually using the gear and the other 19 are not actively using them and everyone is saying they have a gransfors and and they are great then its not an overly accurate review.

I can't say anything about gear collecting, i'm as daft as the next person for picking up the wee odd and end here and there, and i'm a sucker for a brand name.

I was disappointed with the gransfors, as much as i wanted to think it was great i just couldn't get on with it. But at the end of the day who cares i suppose, if you have the cash, but if you don't its abit of money to splash out on something i think is over priced.

The mora knifes are well recomended by everyone, cheap and does the job as well as anything else, I think the bahco is the mora of the axe world.

Johnnytheboy,
its not my fault that your research is not as thorough as mine!

regarding your secondary comments about gadget collectors.

Much as I am loathe to concede,:lmao:, you are in principle correct. I have sat round a camp fire knowing there is grands worth of axes there, yet there is only me collecting and chopping wood.

I have sat Round a fire knowing that there is ten ten grands worth of knife there and yet there is only me battoning wood for the fire.

I have sat by the side of the fire while i look at the kit that does not get used, THAT IS JUST THE WAY OF THE WORLD.

IT DOES NOT DETRACT FROM THE QUALITY OF THE EQUIPMENT UNDER REVIEW.

:lmao:

Wilderbeast

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 9, 2008
Essex-Cardiff
well some very helpful comments thanks, I am of course aware that buying a good axe will not make me good that goes without saying, I think I will get a SFA for a couple of reasons:

I have this unfortunate disease that means if i really want something, to satisfy myself I have to get it. Of course in my logical sense I know that a £20 axe will do a job very well but hey you only live once right?? Might aswell get what I really want rather than wait a couple more months and buy a GB anyway:

20+50=70

50+0=50

simple as that! I fully appreciate that people will think this is kind of stupid but please don't blame me for this, you've got to treat yourself sometime!!

The ford mondeo estate, and the landrover defender..........if you had both these cars thee are very few things you couldn't do.................................but they aren't the only 2 cars on the road.........sometimes un-necessary is good!

cheers again
will

Barney

Settler
Aug 15, 2008
Lancashire
Your right barney it doesn't detract from the quality of kit on review at all, the problem is that if you are the only one actually using the gear and the other 19 are not actively using them and everyone is saying they have a gransfors and and they are great then its not an overly accurate review.

I can't say anything about gear collecting, i'm as daft as the next person for picking up the wee odd and end here and there, and i'm a sucker for a brand name.

I was disappointed with the gransfors, as much as i wanted to think it was great i just couldn't get on with it. But at the end of the day who cares i suppose, if you have the cash, but if you don't its abit of money to splash out on something i think is over priced.

The mora knifes are well recomended by everyone, cheap and does the job as well as anything else, I think the bahco is the mora of the axe world.

I played golf for a while Johhnytheboy, the golf club scene is riddled with equipment snobs and image dudes. You could turn up to a competition and be Teeing off with someone who has a £150 shoes £25 socks £200 trousers and shirt(branded of course) £2000 worth of irons £500 pound driver(latest magasine reviewed one that guarantees an extra 10yd and middle of the fairway) £300 quids worth of waterproofs in the bag etc. Then tee off and watch them smack it into every bit of long grass and ****e on the course with a handicap of 28. Oh how I used to laugh:lmao:. Generally they were really nice guys and you had a great time despite their equipment.:).

I used to spend all my money on lessons with the golf club pro. He could have probably picked up any club in the shop and beat anyone there senseless. I improved with lessons but was not a natural at the game. Now the longest drive competition was another thing, I could generally beat almost anyone with any ****ty old driver. My hand eye coordination is good and I couldn't half knock the skin off that little white ball. Almost the pre-requisits for axe use in the forest. I doubt i could ever carve a spoon with an axe though, I dont have the finesse,

If you use axes everyday then you will have a brilliant understanding of them and your choices are based on deeper understanding of your requirements and natural ability to use any axe, rather like the golf club pro. If I ever bump into you, can you give some lessons on its use?

I have seen a comment that the SFA is geared towards frozen pine and the like in Northern Europe and is not suited to the green cutting of typical hardwoods that we encounter over in this country. I never found the discussion, but it sounds an interesting theory which could have real foundation.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Wilderbeast - I hope you like yours as much as I like mine!
Mind you I still drool over the Cegga.....but I just cannot afford it, I would not be able to do it justice and I would be scared to use it in case I dinted it....
Other axes I have tried - including Buck and Gerber just aint measured up to the Grannie B
and cheapos have been a waste of time and cash.
I am sure there are more "cost effective" axes out there - but the GB SFA does it for me!

SMARTY

Nomad
May 4, 2005
UAE
www.survivalwisdom.com
Am I right in saying that the GB axe has a 25 year guarantee. My Hudson Bay axe has a lifetime guarantee. Thats the one I use, cheaper than the GB, a slightly longer helve and top quality.

heath

Settler
Jan 20, 2006
Birmingham
My name is Heath and I'm an axeaholic.
The first axe I bought was one of the fiskars plastic handle ones. I bought it in the states so it was really cheap. A good axe that did everything I wanted it to.

Then I saw the Rosseli axe and drooled, I bought it secondhand from someone on here and I love it, I still think that it is the best looking axe I've seen (some people will disagree with this of course, but I think it's beautiful). It does everything I want it to.

Then after seeing British Red's thread on the wetterlings pocket axe I bought one of those, a little bit bigger than Red's, probably the same as the GB wildlife hatchet. It took a lot of work to sort the profile out but it was a good learning experience and it became a great little axe that does everything I want it to.

Then I couldn't believe my luck when I just happened to be online when British Red anounced another group buy for a Cegga axe. I'd heard so much about them so I couldn't resist. A lovely little axe, superbly manufactured and lighter than each of my other axes including the smaller Wetterlings. Needless to say it does everything I want it to.

Having said all that, the little amount that I use my axes means that I don't want it to do that much. As has been said what I really need now is experience and instruction and that is how I plan on spending my time and money from now on.

I don't regret buying any of the axes, I just regret not being able to use them as much as I would like.

Heath

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE