An entirely new axe

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Well,

You may have seen a couple of posts of mine recently. You know I like (okay love) axe craft. I recently invested in a Wetterlings mini to experiment with the ultimate in light weight axes (as inspired by Old Jimbo and the no longer available Vaughan mini). The Wetterlings is a great axe (particularly after I reground and re-finished it). Its not the perfect axe though for carrying in your Bergan. Its a damn good "pocket axe" but it needs more handle (about 14" is perfect in my head) and be super light. Somewhere between a Wildlife hatchet and a mini. To be superlight it needs to be polished to maximise penetration and cut efficiency.

I commissioned Cegga to make me one to my own design. This guy is amazing! The head is brilliantly finished, the haft is a perfect 40cm in length. The fit and finish is beyond compare. Total weight is 650g and the bit .s 7.5cm across. Have a look

373541014_53cb3b0ab0.jpg

373541022_8210c7e532.jpg

373541017_045301ae25.jpg

373541019_8b19e031db.jpg

Anyone trust my opinion? If you do, then understand this is the best made axe I have ever handled. It blows Gransfors Bruks out of the water. As always I have oil finished the handle to my own requirements and polished the bevel out ...but its quibbling with this axe if I'm honest.

If I speak nicely to Cegga involved, it may be possible to lay hands on a small number of this (entirely new) design for a good price. If I can get a deal of about 10 together. Now you need to understand this is hand forged by a Swedish Axe smith as a one off. An equivalent Lee Reeves will set you back over £100 with shipping. I may be able to get these to work out to around the just over the cost of a Wildlife hatchet including shipping to one point in the UK - perhaps even a little less once I know the numbers.

If anyone wants one, put a post on here. No promises, but if the deal looks right (or I can interest a "quality retailer" in stocking them), I may be able to put a "group buy" together

Red

Oh ...just for Spikey da Pikey and for interest - a custom double bit is in the works too

The head will be lighter (around 1000g), the eye will be slimmer and the helve will have a swell on the end...this is a Mk 1 prototype

373541023_7c86f0a01e.jpg

Red

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Pretty thing isn't it? Cuts like a demon too!

I do love to see a craftsmans work :D

I do hope I can get this stuff made more widely available in the UK

The terms "amazing bang for your buck" spring to mind!

Red

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
He has the handles made for him and the two I have are very well aligned as you say. Actaully far better than GB or Wetterlings.

Wish I could help with the exchange rate but some things.......:(

Red

Joseph

Tenderfoot
May 27, 2006
Norfolk
Both look like well produced, practical shapes. After playing with my newly ground and polished mini vaughn i'd be interested in something similar and a bit bigger. Nice one. joe.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Phil,

I'll ask Cegga about the punching - I've seen him do it before though so I doubt its a problem. The answer to the mask is "yes" its included

Please bear in mind I'm not offering these - just gauging interest at this stage for a possible group buy or passing a connection to a retailer....I'll keep you informed though (I hate the idea of finding a lovely but of kit and then hogging it to myself)

Red

British Red said:
Phil,

I'll ask Cegga about the punching - I've seen him do it before though so I doubt its a problem. The answer to the mask is "yes" its included

Please bear in mind I'm not offering these - just gauging interest at this stage for a possible group buy or passing a connection to a retailer....I'll keep you informed though (I hate the idea of finding a lovely but of kit and then hogging it to myself)

Red

Totally understand mate.

Make some wonderful gifts to my family members - we're all outdoors types - and I'll think about having one made up for my son as he gets older, he's only 6 now so he'll have to wait a while yet.

Beautiful looking axe though <drool>

Phil.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Righto guys, theres more than enough interest to make it fly!

I'll look into different ways to make these available - either getting a retailer to stock them or putting together a group buy.

I'll keep you informed of the Nessmuk - Cegga is trying to re-create the original design which will mean new tooling etc. Its looking great so far!

Red

Cegga

Nomad
Dec 21, 2006
Sweden
cegga.spaces.live.com
Too Much Kit To Carry said:
Totally understand mate.

Make some wonderful gifts to my family members - we're all outdoors types - and I'll think about having one made up for my son as he gets older, he's only 6 now so he'll have to wait a while yet.

Beautiful looking axe though <drool>

Phil.
I have make one for my kid to he is six to
Cegga
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=1893&cat=500

AndyW

Nomad
Nov 12, 2006
Essex
British Red said:
Well,

I may be able to get these to work out to around the just over the cost of a Wildlife hatchet including shipping to one point in the UK - perhaps even a little less once I know the numbers.

Just over the cost of a Wildlife hatchet for something handmade with such a great finish? I'm in, possibly for two.

I've been looking at getting an axe and for something special it's easy to make my mind up :D

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Right guys,

Theres clearly a huge call for Cegga's work! I've had interest in 20 or more axes (including my "home" site) in 2 hours :eek:

Now this gives a couple of problems

(1) Cegga is one man so there may well be a delay

(2) I probably can't fund the purchase of so many items up front (but nor am I happy to take money up front).

So, on the plus side, this means there is a demand for a craftsmen made product :D

On the minus side, I'll need to work on a way of bringing them to you.

Watch this space!

Red

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE