An entirely new axe

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Guys,

I have just been talking to Cegga. Now he is making these in his spare time and hasn't any easy way of receiving money from the UK (doesn't do PayPal etc.). I think we need to ease off until we can work out a way of making sure he gets paid properly and we work out shipping rates etc.

Please hold fire until we get that side of things sorted out!

Red

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
Remember chaps and chapesses,Cegga is only one man.There will be one hell of a wait for some of us but it looks as if it will be worth it. :)

EDIT : Sorry BR,didn't see your last post. :eek:

oetzi

Settler
Apr 25, 2005
below Frankenstein castle
I want one, too.
The bigger/longer one Cegga mentioned would be preferred.
I will gladly pay up front.
And waiting patiently is no problem, but part of this project, I think.
I also think that maybe some of us would like to do their own sheat or even hang the axe themselves, handle provided, thus reducing the work for Cegga. Myself, I would prefer it that way.
Red, thanks for starting this. I hope both you and Cegga dont regret it by now.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I'm sure something will work out. I was chatting to Cegga last night about ways for people to pay him (PayPal etc.). We also need to work out how he can ship things at a reasonable rate.

When all that is in place, I'll step aside and let you guys chat directly to Cegga - I have no value to add here other than showing you the axe he did for me and hopefully helping Cegga make them available to others.

Please bear in mind though that this isn't Cegga's main business (he's a blacksmith by day and an axesmith by night :D) so this may take a while to put together.

red

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
As always, it depends!

Its a very lightweight one handed axe. Suitable for light cutting and splitting (logs up to say 4-6" across). I wouldn't want to cut a large tree down with it, but if you want to carry a light tool for campfires and shelter building, its ideal mate

Red

barry

Dec 24, 2004
dingwall
hey would love one of these superb craftmanship lool forward to the details and dont mind waiting for somethin so well made :You_Rock_

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Wow - I'd totally overlooked this thread. Some fine workmanship there! :)

Now Red, can you please stop making me want to buy a double-bit axe? ;) :D

mrostov

Nomad
Jan 2, 2006
Texas
Red, I really like that hatchet. It has sizes and specs really similar to my Norlund 'Voyageur' I'm always carrying around out in the field. The bit length, handle length, and overall weight are almost exactly the same. The head shape should allow for a close grip when you use the hatchet for tight in work, like you would use an ulu. The Scandinavian style head has an advantage over the Hudson Bay style head in that it has more support for the handle on the sides of the head.

Here's a some pics for comparison.

373541022_8210c7e532.jpg

Norlund2.jpg

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Glad you like it Mrostov,

I've always liked that Norlund of yours as well as the Vaughans and I think Ceggas work does build on both of those traditional designs

We've been chattering tonight and I think, thanks to Big Swedes help, we have the PayPal thing up and running. Cegga is researching postage and carriage right now so things are progressing!

Dunc, nope not going to stop you wanting a double bit - Cegga has done some great research and the Mark II prototype is out of the forge......:D

Hopefully in a few weeks he'll be talking to you good gents about orders!

Red

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
No problem John - we still have to work through the details and, when Cegga has his prices sorted, I'll put something up. I suspect it'll be some sort of limited numbers group buy (I'm encouraging Cegga to make 10 at a time and only offer them when they are ready to be shipped, so I guess it will be first come, first served). This thread was just to find out if there was any interest in me asking Cegga to put something together for BCUK members.

I think I know the answer now :D

Red

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
I've already know when mine is coming, and best of all, I don't have to pay shipping, it's going to be delivered in person :D

A big hand to B R for introducing the axes!

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Wait till you see it mate!

I would be really grateful if you could post your thoughts on the quality when you receive it....

Red

Cegga said:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I did some this week ,now I have to heat treat them .
the one in the centre are a bigger one ca 0,7- 0,9 kg
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=1906&limit=recent
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by Cegga : Today at 12:05.

Please stop posting pictures :why:

Cos i will have to get one :(

and the misses will go mad if another Sharp n shiny turns up

ATB
Duncan
:You_Rock_ Dear santa can i have a Damascus one Please :Wow:

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Think we've worked out the money transfer thing Stephen, just waiting for Cegga to sort the prices out on postage now

Red

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE