Help, I need a good wee axe

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
The GB Mini Hatchet costs £59:00, however, when you factor in the 20 year warranty, this equates to £2:95 a year!

Clearly, with good care, the Mini will last far longer than 20 years.

Jiffy

Jun 28, 2008
Edinburgh
Compared to a £20 Wetterlings, I didn't think it was that cheap. After thinking about it again though, the Fiskars price is pretty good when B&Q were flogging their own brand ones at the same price and they looked awful.

helixpteron - It's also a question of how much use it will get in that time. I've spent a lot of money on some items because I use them constantly.

Can anyone identify this Wetterlings axe for me?
http://www.greenmanbushcraft.co.uk/cutting-tools/axes/wetteling-wood-chopper-axe.htm

I can't find it on the Wetterlings website.

Cheers!

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
The Fiskars one is actually quite good. I bought one years ago because I couldn't afford something decent at the time and I have held on to it as it works well. The head attachment isn't ideal but is strong and holds up to a lot of abuse.

It's light with the hollow handle as well.

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
you are probably sorted by now but if not have you considered a billhook instead of an axe, they are very versatile tools.

larrys

Sep 28, 2012
southern california
I'm new to this site and was doing some research on bog wood and was directed here, and I know I'm responding to a thread that is 4 years old.
I have many years of experience in camping, hiking, kayaking, mostly California mountains and Colorado river area. I have abandoned the use of camp axes, hatchets and hawks. they are just too heavy and are not versatile enough to carry on a long hike or a boat trip. For a while i strapped a machete to the back pack but that really wasn't particularly convenient, so for the last decade I have used a kukri strapped to my leg. It is conveniently available, doesn't get lost if I'm dumped in the river, and has handled every every task I've put it to from chopping through an 8 inch diameter tree to clearing scrub to digging holes to pounding tent stakes to starting a fire and cooking. Now I wouldn't go hiking without it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE