An entirely new axe

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Gailainne

Life Member
Its not a bump HONEST :D

Red how did you get on with your R&R at the weekend, hope it was "Chillin" time for you mate, it sounded like you need it ;)
You said you were gonna abuse (or something) Cegga's axe, how did it perform ?

Cheers Stephen

BTW Is it the time of year or what ?, finally getting some sunshine, or even better a sunrise as you drive to work, thats getting us all down. I must admit at this time of year especially I really look forward to weekends, isnt it strange the only thing thats changed really is the amount of daylight, but the last couple of weeks I've been really feeling it.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Okay, fair play to all - heres a heads up.

I will be posting a group buy on what is now known as the "Red Hunter's axe" in the next couple of days.

I believed you will be pleasantly surprised. The nearest "comercial forged" axe is probably a GB Wildlife Hatchet. This however is individuallly forged by Cegga - fit and finish is great!

I have passed the prototype around a few other of the guys here - Bushwacker Bob, Spikey da Pikey, Greywolf and Moduser have all seen it so feel free to ask their opinions privately or publicly

The initial group buy will be limited to 10 units as Cegga is the only guy making these. They will be shipped individually from Scandinavia to your door, so bear in mind that when assessing the value. Cegga will be making more however so if you don't get on the first order and you want one, don't despair.

I'm posting this purely as a "heads up" for the next few days - it will be "first come, first served".

All the best

Red

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
British Red said:
Okay, fair play to all - heres a heads up.

I will be posting a group buy on what is now known as the "Red Hunter's axe" in the next couple of days.

I believed you will be pleasantly surprised. The nearest "comercial forged" axe is probably a GB Wildlife Hatchet. This however is individuallly forged by Cegga - fit and finish is great!

I have passed the prototype around a few other of the guys here - Bushwacker Bob, Spikey da Pikey, Greywolf and Moduser have all seen it so feel free to ask their opinions privately or publicly

The initial group buy will be limited to 10 units as Cegga is the only guy making these. They will be shipped individually from Scandinavia to your door, so bear in mind that when assessing the value. Cegga will be making more however so if you don't get on the first order and you want one, don't despair.

I'm posting this purely as a "heads up" for the next few days - it will be "first come, first served".

All the best

Red
Any idea of the price yet?

bushwacker bob

Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
I'd better give my opinion as I'm very opinionated!
It is absolutely superb.Ceggas work is faultless and Red/Cegga have come up with a near perfect design!(It would be perfect if it did all the cutting without involving human muscular imput)
10 people are going to be exeptionally happy.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Well,

The best postage we can do is £15

Then there's paypal fees on top

So theres a lot of overhead.

Cegga is going to do a "one off" price for the first 10 that I have argued is stupid
:(

However he is determined so who am I to argue ? But there are a couple of conditions.

Condition 1.
If you get a customs charge or import duty, you will need to sort that out yourself (I didn't but you might)

Condition 2.
Cegga has done the first buy to "raise his profile" as a custom axe maker. It is implicit in the deal that the first 10 purchasers publish their thoughts on the axe when received. There is no implication that this review should be anything other than honest but some customer feedback would be really apreciated.

If the design is faulty - blame me
Fit, finish, grind, temper, forging standards - blame Cegga ;) (mine is flawless)

Okay so the price for the first 10 including the axe, mask, shipping and paypal.

£40 to your door.

Take off £15 for shipping, 4% for paypal and the cost of the mask and the helve and you can see why I argued over this but Cegga is determined that the first 10 will go for this price.

Red

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
British Red said:
Well,

The best postage we can do is £15

Then there's paypal fees on top

So theres a lot of overhead.

Cegga is going to do a "one off" price for the first 10 that I have argued is stupid
:(

However he is determined so who am I to argue ? But there are a couple of conditions.

Condition 1.
If you get a customs charge or import duty, you will need to sort that out yourself (I didn't but you might)

Condition 2.
Cegga has done the first buy to "raise his profile" as a custom axe maker. It is implicit in the deal that the first 10 purchasers publish their thoughts on the axe when received. There is no implication that this review should be anything other than honest but some customer feedback would be really apreciated.

If the design is faulty - blame me
Fit, finish, grind, temper, forging standards - blame Cegga ;) (mine is flawless)

Okay so the price for the first 10 including the axe, mask, shipping and paypal.

£40 to your door.

Take off £15 for shipping, 4% for paypal and the cost of the mask and the helve and you can see why I argued over this but Cegga is determined that the first 10 will go for this price.

Red
Yes please, I am in....

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Sorry Jon this isn't the group buy thread :(

Having seen what happened to some great custom blade smiths in the past, my job in this is to keep customer and smiths straight.

Cegga is a fantastic smith (thanks BB for the second opinion) but I have decided on this there will be NO waiting lists. I've seen what happened to Allan Blade, Gerd etc..

The product is fantastic, the price is stupid so he'll have no trouble selling even when he charges the proper price.

The right way for all concerned is that they will not be advertised for sale until they are forged, tempered, ground, hung and masked and sat on Ceggas counter ready to be posted.

At that point, I'll put a group buy up for the available quantity. First come, first served. When they have sold and another batch is ready, I'll put them up and so on.

When demand plateaus. We have one other model we are halfway through prototyping and another on the boards for "new interest"

My only role in this is to make sure all my friends (Cegga and you guys) get a fair shake - he musn't get crushed - you mustn't have to wait unduly or pay up front. So this is the way I'm going to work it!

I'll put the thread up when they are ready (hopefully in the next few days)

Red

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
MacFeegle said:
Jon, check page one mate ;) , between us on here and BB I think Cegga has enough people interested to keep him busy for quite a while. Everyone will be waiting for Red to put the buy up. :D

Paul.
ahhhh, I thought he had just started it......Ha ha... :11doh:

rapidboy

Jun 14, 2004
BB
Looks great, any chance of a pic with a GB wildlife and a mini Red ?
Im very interested in one of these

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
British Red said:
No probs mate - I have been wrapping a parcel for you tonight anyway to keep you going :D
Fantastic :You_Rock_ . I am not going to keep it though, its going straight back on here for a charity auction. So if anyone wants a double headed axe, keep you eyes peeled on here in the next few days for an auction.....

sam_acw

Native
Sep 2, 2005
Tyneside
I think I'll put a bid in on that prize.
£40 is truly silly money - I was expecting more like treble that :confused:
Mind you I do have ablog to write reviews on :lmao:

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
RB,

err no

Now, I offer can pictures with

1. A Wetterlings (10") mini
2. A Wetterlings Large Hunters (19.5")
3. A GB Scandinavian Forest (26")
4. A Lee Reeves double bit (15")
5. A Roselli Large Hunters (18")
6. A GB Working axe (36")

I have been thinning out my collection :D to my favourites of each size and type. Interestingly the two GBs in there aren't the small forest (which ended up with Leon B) or the mini - always awkward huh?

Red

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Sam,

My GF just paid as much as Cegga is charging delivered in import duty on my Lee Reeves!

Don't get me wrong the Lee Reeves is a fantastic axe but don't place the value on the Cegga axes on the price - this is a one off price for the first 10, They will still be very reasonable later - but when the smith is making less than £15 an axe for an individual hand made item (including the metal) - no, that won't continue!

Red

MagiKelly

Making memories since '67
An excellent price and a good way to do it, although I just know I will not be quick enough to be in the first ten so I may not think it is so good then :) As to doing a review, well that at least would not be a problem. Ive never been shy about saying what I like or don't like about kit.

When you post the thread you better say whether the reservations are taken by post or PM order as it will be a frenzy for sure.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Thank you John, good point.

I have fought the "devil on my shoulder" on this one and I will listen to the "group buy guru". I was half tempted to tak the first 10 for friends. I could easily have sold them all on my home site. That said everyone here "plays with a straight bat" and I can't bring myself to ignore the code of the camp fire. So its "lucky dip". I think I'll go for the order of posts on the thread - then its not only "fair" but "seen to be fair"

Red

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
sam_acw said:
I wasn't saying they were cheap (negatively) just for an astoundingly low price!
What is your home site BTW?
Sam,

Sorry wasn't implying you thought they were. I just wanted people to understand the price was silly!

My "home" site is not bushcraft related more self reliance / self sustaining oriented (these guys just want axes to feed their fires and stoves - the attraction to them is pure "cutting efficiency" :eek:)

Red

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE