Nessmuks available?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
Hi Jojo
Now that Grohmann Survival inspired knife is a beaut', a definate improvement on the factory job!

I don't know if I'm inspired or depressed because anything I do will be a abomination compared to that!

ATB

Tom

On the vague note of knives, I've just refound the bloody great bronze magazine knife I won on ebay for no good reason. Maybe I should liquidize some of my pointless aquisitions and get the big nesse made?!

Maybe it will, but I doubt it. The hardest bit of making a knife is, wait for it.......rolls of drums....to actually start! Bit of a disappointment there!

What I do normally is to make a card template, (side of a cornflakes box type) then if I am happy with that, I make plywood template. It's all cheap and easier to cut than the steel. When you got a ply template you're happy with, make as soft wood handle for it, that helps you with getting a feel for what the knife will be like in reality, and helps give you some confidence.

If you can make a shape in cardboard, you can make a shape in ply. If you can make a shape out of ply, you can make a shape out of metal.

Then you can trace around your template on the steel, I tend to use a fine permanent marker for that.

I use a angle grinder to cut the blanks but you can also use a pillar drill to drill holes all the way around, it takes a bit longer and less likely to slip. If you are not used to the grinder, it work well too. Then use a big coarse file to get closer to your pattern, then finer ones.

Next step is to show us some pics of your progress! It will give you a great feeling of achievement when you've done your first knife.:)

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Cheers for the advice!
Providentially today I found a promotion in a tool shop selling Irwin Record 4" mechanics vices for £19.99 so I bought the next to last one. I had been hoping for a good second hand Sheffield made 5 or 6 " engineers job to turn up but what the hell! For the price of a curry it will do me! It was the only thing I was missing equipment wise so my stoic muse must have been smiling down on the project.

The next obstacle is getting suitable metal. Someone mentioned Cromwells and I had a look at their website but my Luddite brain swithched off since I didn't know what the hell I was looking for...

Anybody care to tell me what I need to order/ask for? Dimensions I can work out thanks to FYGTs excellent drawing but what sort of steel???

Then I will promise to leave you all alone until I have something to show for it.

Oh there is one more thing, my drill press is one of those holds a big black and decker drill, will it have enough grunt to drill all the holes. Currently all my drill bits are cheepo jobs or ancient, is their a particular brand/make that are good?

ATB

Tom

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
01 tool steel also called Ground flat stock About 50 pages of it to choose from :D

Your drill press will do the job nicely. But I would suggest you get yourself some new drill bits. Old ones can be resharpened but its not generally worth the hassle. I'd probably use 3 or 4 mm to drill holes around the blank if that's what you re planning to do. Smaller are easier to break, bigger one use up more metal. When you drill the holes in the tang, don't forget to clamp it down, you don't want a whirling blade!

Last edited:

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Excellent! herself has just ordered me a 3/16" x 3" x 18" piece of flat ground stock (not being trusted with a credit card myself ;-{D) and I will get some new 4mm bits tomorrow. On Thursday I start 2 weeks leave so If I negect the kids should be able to get some work done.

Unfortunately this machine only has a crap drawing package so I'm having trouble manipulating the image FYGT supplied. I need to blow it up so the blade is the requisite 8 inches and I can do a mock up. From old school aeromodelling I'm quite a dab hand at carving balsa so a wooden mock up shouldn't be too hard to do.

Thanks!

Tom

Excellent! herself has just ordered me a 3/16" x 3" x 18" piece of flat ground stock (not being trusted with a credit card myself ;-{D) and I will get some new 4mm bits tomorrow. On Thursday I start 2 weeks leave so If I negect the kids should be able to get some work done.

Unfortunately this machine only has a crap drawing package so I'm having trouble manipulating the image FYGT supplied. I need to blow it up so the blade is the requisite 8 inches and I can do a mock up. From old school aeromodelling I'm quite a dab hand at carving balsa so a wooden mock up shouldn't be too hard to do.

Thanks!

Tom

3" :D should be able to get another knife out of that

here try this it should print the right size if you print at full scale however wont fit one sheet of paper so do it in 2 halfs etc
the handles shape is justa suggestion so play with the wood model to get the right one for you

nessyscale.jpg

ATB

Duncan

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Oh Bum!

you know mine's going to look like the a dogs dinner compared to your lots!

;-{D)

Ah well it's got to be done, bought the metal now!

Cheers for the drawing Duncan, its a great help.

It is sort of reassuring that real knife smiths don't think the ideas so silly!

ATB

Tom

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
The steel arrived a couple of days back and I got some very good quality (and shockingly expensive to me!) 3 and 4mm drills yesterday but now the printer won't do me a full sized (2 part ) pic to work from! Until we get a version of paint Shop Pro from my mate we only have the crap program that comes with windows and it just refuses to let me ( I am aware its entirely my fault ) print off one with the blade exatly 8" long.

I've now two weeks off to get it sorted but its driving me barmy! Admittedly a very short journey...;-{D)

I did knock up a balsa version with a 8.5inch blade (the neartest print off I got tp right) but I think my messing with the image has elongated it a bit too much. I'm trying to get it exactly like in Duncans image as that looks spot on.

More when i have something to show for it.

ATB

Tom

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
I copied the image to Microsoft Office word, tweaked the size a couple of times to get the image of the blade to 8" exactly, reversed the picture to get the whole blade image on one A4 page and printed it! Easier to do than to say!

Now, I haven't got the steel!:rolleyes:

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
The Boilersfixed and the shed is now warm enough to occupy so I have bit the bullet and started the Big Nessy.

Using the method desribed by Jojo i made a full size paper version and then a rough 3/16th balsa version/

BigNessy01.jpg

I transfered the outline to the steel with a Sharpie then using a lovely old automatic centre punch i picked up marked where I wanted to drill.

BigNessy02.jpg

The steel wouldn't fit in the hand vice so I pinned it down with a clamp. The drill is a good quality 4mm and cuts the steel very well.

BigNessy021.jpg

I then joined the dotsb with a saw, it practically slipped through! The saws a old Sandvik and handilly you can set the blade at 45 degrees.

BigNessy04.jpg

Overthe years I've aquired a good set of files so after roughly grinding the points off I've stated to file the final shape in. The big mill files are a absolute godsend!

BigNessy05.jpg

I'll bash on with it tomorrow. The only bit I'm concerned with is putting the sabre grind... Oh and the tempering.

Bum! just occured to me it will need a sheath!

ATB

Tom

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
Nice post Tombear. I am looking forward to seeing your progress. That knife is going to be a beast goodjob

The only thing I'd suggest is to perhaps round up the corners on the back of the handle, it's more comfy that way!

Yep looks excellent goodjob

Im glad ive got a big angle grinder and a belt linisher :eek: ....... Sorry :D

for the grind its just a high scandi black out ruffly 20mm up teh side with the Sharpy pen the scratch a scribe line at 20mm iuse vernier calipers but youc could adapt a compass or use a spacer block etc

do the same on the edge and scribe at 2mm down and then file flat betewwnthe edges if you have good files its shoeild be to hard just a bit of time and elbow grease

I would clamp it over haging the bench But suppoted on a bit of 4 x 2 as even this thick you could bend the blade while filing etc
repeat on the side and you will have an edge .75 thick i would also take it off with upto 180 gt wet and dry as well as do the flats etc before HT

ATB

Duncan

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Cheers folks
just drilled out the rest of the holes and now doing the dot to dots with the hacksaw.

I've a small angle grinder and a big ol' Axminster bench belt/disc sander but at my skill level I think I'll best stick to hand tools as I can only ruin a small bit at a time.

On the balsa one I have rounded the corners off on the handle but (D'oh!) forgot to transfer it to the steel, its a big grip so I'm toying with putting quite a slope on the back end. I'll alter the mock up until it looks and feels right.

One of my numerous tool fetishes is for marking out gear and gauges so I think I have a couple of verniers put away.

The piece of curly birch I have hoarded for years is too small for the job, boo hoo, so I will scout around for something suitable. I'd like something north American to keep in the spirit of the thing.

By the by theres this piece of 3/16 left over. The grids in inches. Any sugestions what I could make with it? I don't have bushy type knife although I guess 3/16 is a bit thick.

leftovers.jpg

Once again, thanks for the advice!

ATB

Tom

not to thick, depends how you file it :D;)

did this out of one of my 3/16" off cuts is a full flat tho but cuts very well

BAW4.jpg

dont have to rush into another knife look round till something takes your Eye or you wake up at 2am with an Idea you just have to make :eek::rolleyes::D

ATB

Duncan

Last edited:

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Due to the copious availability of cheap labour

childlabour.jpg

I have got this far before Christmas broke out and got in the way of playing.

BlankCut.jpg

I have wet and dried the top edge and around the grip part until its silky smooth, will get it on the buffing wheel next.

I do believe I have a engineers compass thingy that has a L shaped bit on the leg for scribing lines parallel to a edge, still in it's surplus wrapper...

ATB

Tom

Last edited:

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Well, I've marked out where I want the grind to go, I had some marking goo to hand so I used that to make it a bit more obvious where I scratched the marks out.

markiungSabre.jpg

So while the kids go manic with their presents tomorrow I'll start filing...

ATB

Tom

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE